Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Were The Stones ya' 1st Favourite Multicultural Band
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 7, 2011 15:34

Were The Rolling Stones ya' first favourite British Rock Band to become mutlicultural..with its backing Band made up of different nationalities?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 16:04 by colonial.

Re: Were The Stones ya' 1st Favourite Multicultural Band
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2011 15:41

How are you defining multicultural colonial? And does rock include rock/pop?

First band to have multicultural influences?

If so that would have been The Beatles with the featured sitar on Norwegian Wood back in 65. African/American and with the sitar also Asian.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 7, 2011 16:12

I always thought Rolling Stones was a WASP band with mainly a WASP public.

Date: July 7, 2011 16:13

Silver Dagger

If so that would have been The Beatles with the featured sitar on Norwegian Wood back in 65. African/American and with the sitar also Asian.

Silver Dagger
..Members of the Band

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 7, 2011 16:20

colonial
Silver Dagger

Silver Dagger
..Members of the Band

Billy Preston was a Beatle before he was a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 7, 2011 16:38

I remember Keith's answer when asked about Taylor's replacement was that the Stones are an English band, but I doubt any criteria other than "who is best for the job" is considered when selecting backup players.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 7, 2011 19:48

The Paul Butterfield Band in 1966 had a black drummer if I remember right ;-)

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 7, 2011 19:53

Amused
The Paul Butterfield Band in 1966 had a black drummer if I remember right ;-)

Booker T & The MG's were a mixed race band before them.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 7, 2011 19:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 19:56 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: July 7, 2011 20:32

colonial, i know you like to put on your kool-aid-tinted glasses and pick apart the stones and declare everything about them as the greatest everything in the history of everything, but i would hardly call the stones a "multicultural" band. yes, they had sidemen that were of various backgrounds but they aren't in "the rolling stones". to me, the stones are a bunch of white dudes from england. nothing more.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 7, 2011 20:37

For me it was Queen.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 7, 2011 20:42

Dino, Desi, and Billy

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 7, 2011 20:47

Benny Goodman had Charlie Christian in his band starting around 1939 so I think the answer to your question, if I understood it correctly, is a resounding no. You might however be able to make a case for the Stones to be the first rock and roll band to piss against gas station wall though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 20:50 by ChrisM.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 7, 2011 21:21

Out of my favourites Ian Dury & the Blockheads were multi-cultural from the outset in the late '70's so before the Stones went that way with the backing band in the late '80's......They were made up of very London English, London English of land owning Protestant Irish extraction, Newcastle English of Irish Catholic extraction,(Apparently the differences did become 'manifest' on more than a few occaisions in the studio and backstage....) a couple of Jews and a black drummer from Guyana..............I've always thought of these guys as a great example of multi-culturalism actually working.................Intelligence, sublime rhythms and harmonies, brilliant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 21:37 by EddieByword.

Date: July 7, 2011 21:35

ineedadrink
colonial, i know you like to put on your kool-aid-tinted glasses and pick apart the stones and declare everything about them as the greatest everything in the history of everything, but i would hardly call the stones a "multicultural" band. yes, they had sidemen that were of various backgrounds but they aren't in "the rolling stones". to me, the stones are a bunch of white dudes from england. nothing more.

ineedadrink..Just remember i've been here longer than you..quiet in the cheap seats please..smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 7, 2011 21:58

The Stones are not and were not ever a multicultural band...four very white males from London. Now if you had said Little Feat, or Santana, or The Jimi Hendrix Experience etc, your thread might have had some accuracy. Backing musicians hardly fall into the full band line up!

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: July 7, 2011 22:06

colonial
ineedadrink

ineedadrink..Just remember i've been here longer than you..quiet in the cheap seats please..smoking smiley
quality over quantity, sir. drinking smiley

Date: July 8, 2011 02:10

Always loved the fact that Sly and The Family Stone had men and women, whites and blacks. But in fairness to colonial, he did say British bands in his original post. The Stones had Americans on stage with them by '72 and African-Americans not long after that.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 8, 2011 02:32

tatters
Always loved the fact that Sly and The Family Stone had men and women, whites and blacks. But in fairness to colonial, he did say British bands in his original post. The Stones had Americans on stage with them by '72 and African-Americans not long after that.
RIGHT ON MAN, He was a cool muthafkr early on in my world.... We were just watching Woodstock the other day, again, for the 278th time, and I tell ya... Sly's performance in that is one of my all time favs....from the first time I saw him as a kid... to the just other day.... he gets me singing everytime.... he is a cool mofo..... and no I dont listen or regrard any personal things that may or may not have gone on in his life.... I just love his Woodstock performance .. SLY IS THE MAN!!! GONNA TAKE YOU HIGHER!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-08 02:34 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 8, 2011 02:48

Does Yoko with the Beatles count?

Date: July 8, 2011 03:04

DaveG

Yes and not only that, they also used Indian instruments played by real Indians on Revolver.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 8, 2011 03:06

tatters
DaveG

Yes and not only that, they also used Indian instruments played by real Indians on Revolver.
not like those discount, knockoff bands using fake Indians winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home