Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Available video for the 1969 MSG shows
Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: September 13, 2010 20:54

I would like to dedicate a thread to covering available video from the 1969 Madison Square Garden shows. Most of you know all this stuff already, but I thought it would be nice to have a central location for all of this information, available for additions and corrections.

There were three shows at MSG: one on November 27 and two on November 28 (a. the matinee show, i.e., "the breakfast show" and b. the evening show)

As pretty much everyone knows, the bulk of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out comes from these three shows (overdubs aside).

Most of the available video comes from the movie Gimme Shelter (including the DVD's bonus tracks). One thing that makes the Gimme Shelter a tough source of information is that the shot selection was based on whatever the directors (Maysles, Maysles, and Zwerin) felt was the best visual for the audio without regard for whether the video matched the audio. This problem is usually limited to shots of MJ dancing and is not a pervasive problem. One key to determining if the video and audio is from the same performance is to check to see if the lyrics syncronize with MJ's mouth movements. However, in two songs (Satisfaction and Honkey Tonk Women), the opening minute or so is from one performance (with matching audio) whereas the rest of the songs are from another performance.

In addition to Gimme Shelter, another source of material is the DVD from the Ya Ya's boxset. I haven't picked this up yet, so I'm going from Wikipedia for the DVD content. Feel free to correct mistakes. Also, it is worth noting that Chris M.'s site rollingstonesnet.com is a great source for information on the audio part of these tracks. Update: I now have the Ya Ya's box set. Good stuff. Was pleasantly surprised to see that the bonus DVD was put together by Albert Maysles, among others (i.e., not a hack job by amateurs).

Finally, it is my understanding that the European version (Region 2) of Gimme Shelter contains video of Little Queenie - an extra track that the US release lacks.

And of course, most of these are available on youtube.

Now, on to the shows...

One thing that helps identify which performance came from which show is checking the clothes worn by the band. MJ and Charlie are no help as they wore the same thing for all three shows. Mick Taylor and Keith are more helpful (Bill is so seldom on camera that you can figure things out more often from Keith alone).

So, here it is:
Mick Taylor: 11/27 denim shirt, 11/28a purple shirt, 11/28b denim shirt returns (which means you can't use him to tell the difference between 11/27 and 11/28b)
Keith: 11/27 red jacket, red star shirt, 11/28a blue jacket/shirt thing, 11/28b red jacket is back, but this time with a white puffy shirt.

On with the available songs:
15 different songs were played across the three shows. The exact set list for 11/28a is unknown, but substitutions in the tour were rare. Usually it was the same fifteen. The 11/28b show lacked I'm Free.

Jumping Jack Flash
Video from 11/28a. Same camera follows MJ throughout the entire first half of the song. Clearly synced audio with his vocals. Note Mick Taylor's purple shirt. Also note his brilliant soloing. Also, you can see a few quick shots of Keith's blue jacket. Out of all the live performances and the studio one, this is my favorite version of JJF. Your mileage may vary.
Available on Gimme Shelter.

Carol
Video from 28b. Note Keith's red jacket/white puffy shirt combo
Available on Gimme Shelter in bonus features. Not the best film source and mono audio. Some bits and pieces missing from the Gimme Shelter video are available on youtube.
Edit: Also available is 28a (special thanks to chenry9195 for pointing this out below) on the VHS release of Gimme Shelter. Can be found on youtube.

SFD
No video available.

Stray Cat Blues
No video available.

Love In Vain
In reality, no video available. What is shown on Gimme Shelter is just a slow motion montage of bits of video from various songs. According to Chris at rollingstonesnet.com (again, a great source) the audio for this (here and on Ya Ya's) is from the Baltimore show. Update: I was able to listen to an audience sourced bootleg of the Baltimore show, and Love In Vain was a note for note match. Not an overdub to be found anywhere.

Prodigal Son
Video from 11/27 show. Keith's red star shirt is on proud display. Note that this is the performance that Keith ended early, Much to Jagger's surprise "Well... alright?"
Available on Gimme Shelter bonus section and on the Ya Ya's box set DVD.

You Gotta Move
Video from 11/27 show.
Available on Ya Ya's box set DVD.

Under My Thumb
Video from 11/28a show.
Available on Ya Ya's box set DVD. Update: the video for this and I'm Free is rather disappointing in that there isn't much footage of the actual songs (just the beginning of UMT and the end of I'm Free). The rest is slow motion clips taken from various performances of other songs. My guess is that there wasn't useable footage available for these parts. I would really love to ask Albert Maysles about this someday...

I'm Free
Video from 11/28a show.
Available on Ya Ya's box set DVD. Update: see note for UMT.

Midnight Rambler
No video available.

Live With Me
No video available.

Little Queenie
Video from 28a. Keith's blue jacket/shirt thing is on fine display here. So are his guitar skills. Love it when he turns to Charlie to stay in time. He did this quite often back then. Serious musicianship. Also, Charlie looks excited at one point.
Available on Region 2 DVD of Gimme Shelter (which I have not seen - please confirm) and on youtube.

Satisfaction
Video and audio from various shows for first minute (maybe two different shows), then after dropping a verse, is 28b until the end. Video is also available from 11/27.
Available on Gimme Shelter for the mostly 11/28b performance and the Ya Ya's box set for the 11/27 performance. Nice to have two shows.

Honky Tonk Women
Video from 11/28b for first verse and chorus, then 11/27 until the end. One notable thing about this performance is that you can see Ian Stewart playing on the piano. And then, before the last note is over, he's up and gone from it. The guy knew how to keep a low profile.

Street Fighting Man
Video is from 11/28b. Unfortunately, the audio and video are interrupted by the San Francisco footage regarding the Altamont concert. The instrumental ending of this performance is different from what ended up on Ya Ya's. This one has a cool, syncopated guitar thing going between Keith and MT. The album has just the right amount of MT soloing. They both rock. Also worth noting is that when the concert is over, MJ stoops to pick up his scarf and hat before heading off stage. Things have changed.

So that's it. Fifteen songs (more or less) played at three different shows over two days. Video available from the better part of ten different songs. I'd like to see all three shows, but this isn't bad for an event 41 years ago.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-19 19:18 by Reagan.

Re: Available video for the 1969 MSG shows
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 21:29

Thanks, really cool info.
I love seeing Charlie during Little Queenie singing "she's too cute to be a minute over 17" before Keith's solo.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 06:16

Little Queenie is available in the US. Also, the VHS has a different version of Carol.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 27, 2010 15:29

Reagan
Street Fighting Man
Video is from 11/28(2). Unfortunately, the audio and video are interrupted by the San Francisco footage regarding the Altamont concert. The instrumental ending of this performance is different from what ended up on Ya Ya's. This one has a cool, syncopated guitar thing going between Keith and MT. The album has just the right amount of MT soloing. They both rock. Also worth noting is that when the concert is over, MJ stoops to pick up his scarf and hat before heading off stage. Things have changed.

yes, Keith is wearing his blue top at the end of this...so it's the ending of SFM 28th 1st show !!
Also, worth noting is on the DVD bonus Ya Ya's stuff, the flower throwing at the end of Satisfaction is obviously SFM.

And another note is the slow-mo stuff on the bonus DVD on Ya Ya's during Under My Thimb (I think from memory), Jagger is not wearing his belt...i.e. it's not from footage from UMT but from somewhere after Midnight Rambler...

great work Reagan

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 27, 2010 15:47

Great post Reagan, maby you can add the YouTube link if available smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 16:20

Eleanor Rigby

yes, Keith is wearing his blue top at the end of this...so it's the ending of SFM 28th 1st show !!
Also, worth noting is on the DVD bonus Ya Ya's stuff, the flower throwing at the end of Satisfaction is obviously SFM.

And another note is the slow-mo stuff on the bonus DVD on Ya Ya's during Under My Thimb (I think from memory), Jagger is not wearing his belt...i.e. it's not from footage from UMT but from somewhere after Midnight Rambler...

great work Reagan

Sorry, I get confused. You mean video of SFM is 28(1) and audio is 28(2)?

Date: September 27, 2010 16:43

Sorry, I get confused. You mean video of SFM is 28(1) and audio is 28(2)?

No, the deal is that the music and video is from 28(2) until the very end when Jagger picks up his hat and scarf. That part is from 28(1). It takes a sharp eye to spot Keith's blue jacket during this clip (nice job, Eleanor Rigby).

Thanks for all of the contributions. And yes, I should add the youtube clips. I'll have to get working on figuring out how to do that.

-R

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 27, 2010 17:01

Reagan

Thanks for all of the contributions. And yes, I should add the youtube clips. I'll have to get working on figuring out how to do that.

-R

Well, I hope you succeed!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 27, 2010 17:14

So are we right in thinking that the song order on the Ya-Yas album is correct as compared to the actual concerts, with the one exception of SFTD being out of sequence (it comes after Midnight Rambler on Ya-Yas rather than after Carol when it was actually played) ?

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: September 27, 2010 19:57

I have a question regarding SFM as heard in the GIMME SHELTER movie. To my ear, this sounds like a different performance from the one on Ya-Ya's and different as well from the one found on Shot Of Salvation bootleg.
If it is a hybrid, how can one tell this?

Date: November 17, 2010 19:32

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I missed these posts for some reason. I did a little updating to my original post.

I have a question regarding SFM as heard in the GIMME SHELTER movie. To my ear, this sounds like a different performance from the one on Ya-Ya's and different as well from the one found on Shot Of Salvation bootleg. If it is a hybrid, how can one tell this?

As for SFM on Ya-Ya's, that performance (aside from overdubs) is either from 11/28a (there isn't a bootleg for this, so we can't say one way or the other) or Baltimore. The Baltimore seems to match as far as everything but the vocals go - in most points (but not all - there may have been some edits). I haven't heard Shot of Salvation, so I can't say.

SFM in Gimme Shelter appears to be a pretty solid match for 11/28b given the clothes and the synchronized audio and video.

So are we right in thinking that the song order on the Ya-Yas album is correct as compared to the actual concerts, with the one exception of SFTD being out of sequence (it comes after Midnight Rambler on Ya-Yas rather than after Carol when it was actually played) ?

Pretty much, yeah. Here are the set lists for 11/27 and 11/28b shows (taken from Nico's site):
11/27 (Jumping Jack Flash/Carol/SFD/Stray Cat Blues/Love In Vain/Prodigal Son/You Gotta Move/Under My Thumb-I'm Free/Midnight Rambler/Live With Me/Little Queenie/Satisfaction/Honky Tonk Women/Street Fighting Man)

11/28b (Jumping Jack Flash/Carol/SFD/Stray Cat Blues/Love In Vain/Prodigal Son/You Gotta Move/Under My Thumb/Midnight Rambler/Live With Me/Little Queenie/Satisfaction/Honky Tonk Women/Street Fighting Man)

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 18, 2010 00:06

Does anybody have a link to the alternate version of "Carol" only found on the VHS? I would love to see it.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: November 18, 2010 01:12

There is rumors of footage of Midnight Rambler I believe filmed either in NYC shows or at the Miami Festival that shows Keith rolling and lighting a joint.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 18, 2010 01:54

RollingStonesRob
There is rumors of footage of Midnight Rambler I believe filmed either in NYC shows or at the Miami Festival that shows Keith rolling and lighting a joint.

It's no rumour and I'd love to see that!

It's from the Maysels' "directors cut" of GS together with some other material but unfortunately the original print has been lost for many years.

In an interview and in Karnbachs book it's been said that the original negatives nevertheless still exist, - but little hope that it gets redone.
I'm no expert with film technology. Is it such a big thing to rework the film from the negative?

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: November 18, 2010 06:24

this post is useless without actual videos. smiling smiley

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 18, 2010 07:27

RollingStonesRob

A select few people have seen a complete (I think) performance of one of the MSG shows that i believe the Maysles put on at a cinema a few years ago.
They were told not to mention anything about it to anybody...WTF ? not sure why or how letting people know what the performance was like or other details could hurt anyone?

Also, Stray Cat & Midnight Rambler were going to be part of the Gimme Shelter DVD movie bonus songs last year...but copyright garbage got in the way and that's why we get Carol & LQ instead...unfortunately.

Posted by: kellyj994 ()
Date: November 18, 2010 10:32

Eleanor Rigby
Reagan
Street Fighting Man
Video is from 11/28(2). Unfortunately, the audio and video are interrupted by the San Francisco footage regarding the Altamont concert. The instrumental ending of this performance is different from what ended up on Ya Ya's. This one has a cool, syncopated guitar thing going between Keith and MT. The album has just the right amount of MT soloing. They both rock. Also worth noting is that when the concert is over, MJ stoops to pick up his scarf and hat before heading off stage. Things have changed.

great work Reagan
Thanks you for the post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-18 10:33 by kellyj994.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 18, 2010 11:19

Just give us a composite MSG 1969 show already.

Date: November 18, 2010 16:46

studiorambo
Just give us a composite MSG 1969 show already.

Agreed. Except that I want all three.

-R

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home