Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT:One Album Wonders
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:16

We can go on forever about one hit wonders (and are currently doing so). But what about artists who put out one really good hit album.Only to never be heard from again.Or not that reach that type of success again. A couple that come to mind.
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Boston - Boston

Re: OT:One Album Wonders
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:18

"Pet Sounds". Now sue me.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:20

sweetcharmedlife
We can go on forever about one hit wonders (and are currently doing so). But what about artists who put out one really good hit album.Only to never be heard from again.Or not that reach that type of success again. A couple that come to mind.
Boston - Boston

Bat Out Of Hell reached number 9 in the UK album charts; the follow-up Deadringer reached number 1 (& he's had lots of successful albums since).

So there's a difference between most famous album & true one-hit status.

Date: June 9, 2011 19:27

Sleepy City
sweetcharmedlife
Boston - Boston

Bat Out Of Hell reached number 9 in the UK album charts; the follow-up Deadringer reached number 1 (& he's had lots of successful albums since).

Deadringer got to 45 in the states.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:28

Elvis Costello--First Album....all downhill after that.

Date: June 9, 2011 19:31

I think (like PJ Proby & The Walker Brothers) Mr Loaf had far more success over here than in his homeland.

I just looked up the others you mention: you're right about Frampton, but apparantly Boston's biggest UK hit album was called 'Don't Look Back'.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:31

sweetcharmedlife
Sleepy City
sweetcharmedlife
Boston - Boston

Deadringer got to 45 in the states.eye rolling smiley

Bat Out Of Hell II was number 1 in both the US & UK (among others) and sold more than 25 million copies. Hard to say an artist with two diamond albums is a "One Album Wonder".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-09 19:32 by mr_dja.

Date: June 9, 2011 19:32

Boxcar Willie - King Of The Road (number 5 UK hit, but his only ever chart album)

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:35

Elvis Costello and the Beach Boys! This thread is officially "inane" .

Date: June 9, 2011 19:38

Wry Cooter
Why did I have a feeling this wasn't going to go smoothly.confused smiley

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:40

Television - Marquee Moon

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:44

Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
Living Colour - Vivid
New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too
Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
Arrested Development - 3 years, 5 months in the life of
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Lisa Fisher - So Intense

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 9, 2011 19:48

Never Mind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols

Date: June 9, 2011 19:58

batcave

What about The Great Rock & Roll Swindle?

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 9, 2011 20:00

Sleepy City
batcave

What about The Great Rock & Roll Swindle?

Not a real Sex Pistols album. More like their Metamorphosis....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 9, 2011 20:02

Get The Knack

Date: June 9, 2011 20:05

Elmo Lewis
Get The Knack
Good one Elmo.smileys with beer

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 9, 2011 20:12

The Slits - Cut.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 9, 2011 20:18

Ian Dury - New boots & panties..................he did make a few more albums after this but none of them had the legendary status (In England at least) of New boots.....................
Clevor Trevor(sic) off.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-09 20:20 by EddieByword.

Date: June 9, 2011 20:20

"Adventure" by Television is a damn good album with a few brilliant cuts. It's crime is that it is not "Marquee Moon" . They also had a comeback LP in '92 I think that is okay.

Date: June 9, 2011 20:36

sweetcharmedlife
Wry Cooter

SCL: When does ANYTHING on this board go smoothly? I'll give you thumbs up thumbs up for coming up with something that's making me think for a change.

As a huge Beach Boys & Boston fan there's a part of me that wants to argue those points but even as a fan, I'm not entirely sure...

Boston's first album might as well have been a greatest hits album. I forget how many of those songs are on their actual greatest hits album. At the same time, I'm not sure that I'd tell someone that without the Don't Look Back album their collection isn't complete.

Regarding the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album it's obviously their masterpiece. Before switching to CD, I used to have 20+ Beach Boys albums. That being said, if someone asked me what they needed to get by the Beach Boys, I'd tell them Pet Sounds and a good Greatest Hits collection. Although they've had 20+ top 10 albums in their career, I don't know that any other than Pet Sounds would be viewed as a "necessary" album. Possibly not fair to refer to them as a One Album Wonder, but they also aren't going to make a list of bands which produced multiple classic albums.

Also: The Black Crowes? No. "The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion" is easily as important and necessary as "Shake Your Money Maker". IMO definately not a One Album Wonder.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 9, 2011 20:42

mr_dja
sweetcharmedlife
Wry Cooter

SCL: When does ANYTHING on this board go smoothly? I'll give you thumbs up thumbs up for coming up with something that's making me think for a change.

As a huge Beach Boys & Boston fan there's a part of me that wants to argue those points but even as a fan, I'm not entirely sure...

Boston's first album might as well have been a greatest hits album. I forget how many of those songs are on their actual greatest hits album. At the same time, I'm not sure that I'd tell someone that without the Don't Look Back album their collection isn't complete.

Regarding the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album it's obviously their masterpiece. Before switching to CD, I used to have 20+ Beach Boys albums. That being said, if someone asked me what they needed to get by the Beach Boys, I'd tell them Pet Sounds and a good Greatest Hits collection. Although they've had 20+ top 10 albums in their career, I don't know that any other than Pet Sounds would be viewed as a "necessary" album. Possibly not fair to refer to them as a One Album Wonder, but they also aren't going to make a list of bands which produced multiple classic albums.

Also: The Black Crowes? No. "The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion" is easily as important and necessary as "Shake Your Money Maker". IMO definately not a One Album Wonder.

Peace,
Mr DJA
Thanks.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 9, 2011 21:07

Copperhead

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 9, 2011 21:08

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 9, 2011 21:34

I don't know if the Beach Boys qualify as a one-album wonder. At a glance, I see what you mean but there was a bracket of time there when they were putting out some strong stuff even after Pet Sounds. Granted nothing ever matched the solid and indestructable masterpeice that Pet Sounds was but still...you can't just write them off.

From 67 to about 74/74ish, they released a lot of uneven albums...much like the Stones did post Exile. In the grand scheme of things, Joe Blow doesn't care about "Goats Heads Soup" yet we had some huge songs like "Angie" come out of it. Same went with the Beach Boys. Had they completed "SMiLE" I have no doubt it would have eclipsed "Sgt. Pepper" and completely secured their position as revolutionaries of their time. Sadly that never happened and Brian's genius only came out in glimmers after that.

Nevertheless, the Beach Boys are definitely more than just "Pet Sounds"...problem is nobody has the patience or the will to actually find it...

Date: June 9, 2011 21:38

mr_dja
sweetcharmedlife
Wry Cooter

Peace,
Mr DJA

This is all for fun we understand.....

"All Summer Long", "Shut Down Volume II", and "Today" are hit LPs from their classic period that also hold up as albums -- thematically, quality-wise (some, not too much, filler). "Summer Days" is close. Later albums beloved by their hardcore fans and considered important albums by critics and historians include "Wild Honey","Friends" and "Sunflower" . You could perhaps include "20/20", "Holland", and "Surf's Up". Fans would be split on "Love You" but I'd include it as an important statement. And that's not mentioning "Smile" -- coming out soon and finally as a box set. For me, these are all necessary -- for a neophyte, these later albums are as much a part of their legend as the hits. It's amazing music anyway you slice it.

Granted, their best work was not presented in a way the big albums of the Beatles, Stones, and other important bands were -- blame Capitol Records, Mike Love, whomever. Anyway, listen to "Sunflower" and get back to me.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 9, 2011 21:40

The La's

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 9, 2011 21:47

Wry Cooter
Granted, their best work was not presented in a way the big albums of the Beatles, Stones, and other important bands were -- blame Capitol Records, Mike Love, whomever. Anyway, listen to "Sunflower" and get back to me.

Good stuff Wry. It took me a while to warm up to the post-Pet Sounds stuff because like you mention...I found a lot of it be cluttered with filler. Each album post Pet Sounds suffers this issue, in my book. It's pretty clear that there was such a clash of musical direction for the band..with Mike Love being the culprit. It seemed that Capitol was completely ready for more Pet Sounds stuff and Brian could've delivered ten fold with SMiLE...but as we know his drug use brought on by Mike's nasty unwillingness to go that direction put a hault on all of that.

It's a weird trade off because with Brian slipping away, other members came forward and took the bull by the horn...Carl most notably. But then we get Dennis coming forward with his wonderful songwriting..which is showcased nicely throughout the post Pet Sounds period...specifically in Sunflower...my personal favorite album.

Date: June 9, 2011 21:56

Justin: Thanks for putting up those images... It's like looking at my old collection! Smiley Smile was one of my favorites when I was a teenager.

Wry: Thanks for mentioning All Summer Long... Again memories come running back.

On ya'll's recomendation I'm going to have to search out Sunflower. I don't think that one was actually a part of my collection.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 9, 2011 22:20

Carla Bruni can be considered a one album wonder. Her first album "Quelqu'un ma dit" is charming, sexy and it features great songs, but the ones she did afterwards were very weak. She probably knows that and that is why she got herself another job.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home