Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Charlie Watts absolutely superb at le Duc des Lombards!
Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 9, 2010 23:47

Just came back from the first show tonight. Good show. We got some real fine drumming from Charlie. He is as I expected : a Gentleman. And a great Musician. But all along the show I just wondered what he can talk with Keith !!! Easy to imagine he can get along very well with Mick and Bill. But Keith !!!. Just one answer came to me : The Stones. Big Hand for this Man. We shake hands at the entrance and exchange 2 sentences at the end about something that slightly hurt his finger during the show.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: September 10, 2010 03:27

For the third evening, I went to le Duc des Lombards at the 10 p.m. gig. I recognized several people in the audience who were there the previous days.

On Thursday night, Charlie played louder than the previous nights. He was great.
The band played Route 66 for the first time. It was new and really good.

Alex Zwingenberger’s stomp was high-speed. To-night he wore a dark suit with lemon yellow shoes. Yesterday, he wore apple green shoes.
What’s about to-morrow?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 10, 2010 13:48

Went to the first show, first night

Fall in love again with Mr. Watts

A wingless angel - you wished these moments were eternity

There was quite a good piece in Le Monde daily 8 September issue about his technique

Crirtic wrote 'Charlie left hand motion belongs to jazz tradition. His left hand motion is drumming military style. The stick rests in the hand while the hand stays parallel to the torso. Instead, rock drummers feature another motion: both hands keep the stick firm inside the fist.'

'Besides, Watts tends to have more a ternary approach than the binary beat used in rock music. Hence the looseness the Stones music, with its particular before-or-after-the-tempo feel.'

Le son des Stones, c'est depuis plusieurs décennies la guitare de Keith Richards et ce sacré jeu de Charlie Watts, qui jette dans des abîmes de perplexité tout batteur essayant de jouer tels quels des titres des Stones. La part jazz de Charlie Watts est une explication. Sa tenue de baguette main gauche, en prise de tambour militaire - la baguette repose sur la main, parallèle au buste -, est celle des musiciens de jazz - le rock adopte pour les deux mains la prise du timbalier, le poing refermé sur la baguette. Son rapport au temps est plus proche du ternaire que le découpage binaire du rock. D'où, avec les Stones, cette impression de flottement, d'accents qui ne tombent pas tout à fait avant ou pas tout à fait après le temps.

Posted by: Highwire75 ()
Date: September 11, 2010 01:17

Hi everybody
It's my first message here. I was also in the concert of September 8th. Great moment!! very near to stage. incredible!

I take some pictures (more on my flickr : [www.flickr.com])

My video coming soon :-)

(Sorry for my bad english)

Charlie Watts par Highwire75, sur Flickr

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 11, 2010 01:47

Very nice pics Highwire75. Thanks for posting.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 11, 2010 01:57

Boo!

Posted by: Highwire75 ()
Date: September 11, 2010 02:39

As promised, my video. Enjoy^^

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 11, 2010 03:45

Charlie is still THE MAN. Sure Mick and Keith are great, but CW is the heartbeat of the band.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 11, 2010 04:27

Highwire75
As promised, my video. Enjoy^^

Nice, thanks!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 11, 2010 04:56

Outta sight Highwire

Posted by: bustabutton ()
Date: September 11, 2010 06:13

Thank you

Date: September 11, 2010 17:27

Hi! Highwire75,
Thanks for the great pictures and video!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 11, 2010 20:08

Thanks for the great video and pics.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 11, 2010 20:40

Thank you, great

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 11, 2010 21:13

The description of Watts' playing in Le Monde is superb.His technique maybe limited, but he knows a lot about his instrument and his different approach from other rock drummers is a very important element of the Stones' music!

Posted by: Olive ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:47

I’ve seen Charlie Watts the 9th September, to the Duc des Lombards. I was with Georges and her wife who very friendly welcomed me. We were just in front of the stage. I’d never seen Charlie Watts before because I’ve never seen The Rolling Stones!
It was a great, great evening and I’m really a very lucky woman because Charlie signed its record!
I’ve seen Tim Ries and Bernard Fowler at the Sunset the last year, I’ve also seen Mick Taylor.
Now I hope to see Stones!grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:51

Must be a great evening for you Olive............

By the way, did you see Mick Taylor at the Charlie kick?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 10:59

Highwire75, thaks for the video and for the pics, they are outstanding! It is such a pleasure to see Charlie & the Co. having such a great time. The whole band is so relaxed, doing it just for the joy of playing great music. I have a big smile on my face watching the video...I strongly envy evryone who was in Paris for those couple of days :-)

Date: September 12, 2010 13:36

I have attended the last 10 p.m gig. Once again, I was in the first row. The venue was crowded.
Like every night, Charlie came from the rear of the audience. He walked slowly across the room. When he was next to me, I told him “come on, Charlie, you’re the best”. He looked at me and said to me “thank you”.

Once again, Charlie was terrific. He has been drumming briskly and energetically on “Route 66” and “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ on”.

When the show was over, Charlie walked back close to me. I told him “you’ve done a great show. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for such a good music”. He stopped in front of me. He listened to me. He shook my hand and said to me “thank you”.
A few minutes later, he signed to me the “Charlie Watts and Jim Keltner Project”.

Afterwards, there was a private party only with family inside le Duc des Lombards.
Outside, lots of fans were waiting. A guy was playing Stones music with his electric guitar in the street.

Posted by: Olive ()
Date: September 12, 2010 14:45

NICOS
Must be a great evening for you Olive............

By the way, did you see Mick Taylor at the Charlie kick?

Yes, it was a great evening !

No,I saw Mick Taylor in Reims (city of Champagne) in October, 2009 (Max Middleton - piano, Kuma Harada - bass, Denny Newman - guitar, vocals, Jeff Allen - drums). It was a good evening, not a great.

Tim Ries and Bernard Fowler played with French jazzmen. We had a drink together and, in spite of my disastrous English, we chatted a little. Tim Ries and I let us have a common friend, a French guitarist of jazz but I don't have to stay for a long time in the end of the concert. Tim is a very cool guy! Bernard Fowler spent time writing sms!
I also have Bernard's autographs and Tim. Those of the jazzmen also, naturally. They signed on the biography of Stones written by François Bon.
It was a very, very nice evening

Date: September 13, 2010 14:52

During their boogie woogie week in Paris, Charlie, Axel and Dave signed the Magic of Boogie Woogie.

In this great week, Charlie signed also for me the box of Get yer ya-ya’s out and the Jim Keltner Project. So far, I have six autographs from Charlie. I had got the three first ones at Ronnie Scott’s.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 13, 2010 19:18

Many thanks to you,Georges and Olive .I wish I were there .

Merci à toi Georges ,et à toi aussi,Olive .smileys with beer

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 13, 2010 21:59

The little interview with the band on TSF was funny - rather difficult to follow because the presenter was trying to ask the questions in French and then again in English, then let the listeners know who was replying, then do a real-time translation of the answer while Charlie or whoever was still talking... He was trying to ask Charlie if playing in a club in Paris was his dream gig - Charlie said he'd never been asked to play in Paris before, but this wasn't so much a club as a bar, and with two pianos, drum kit and bass on stage, they'd all have to go on crash diets to fit in!

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 13, 2010 22:33

I did the two sets on saturday. It was just wonderful to hear Charlie's drums direct, without a PA and without compression and gates. Well, it was miked, but where I was I got mostly direct sound.

He had a mean snare and kick at times and was experimenting a lot - sometimes failing, with a smile or one of those faces only Charlie does.

Posted by: wattsydrums ()
Date: September 13, 2010 22:44

i see charlie saturday at "le duc des lombards"; fantastic!! and i see an other drummer: steve gadd!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home