Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : Take That numbers
Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:02

I nearly fell off my chair today when reading that the group Take That had sold out 8 Wembley Stadiums, 2 Millenium, 2 Hampdon Parks, 4 Manchester Stadiums, 2 Croke Parks this month. That 's make nearly a 2 Millions attendance !!! in roughly 16 shows. What is goin'on in UK and Eire. I thought that U2 would retain a world record for ad lib. Well....Is this music !!! I will rush to hear ABB.

Re: OT : Take That numbers
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:07

Robbie Williams is the answer. A brilliant microphone-singer...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:09

An equally amazing statistic is that Take That sold 520,000 copies of their last album in the first week. It's one thing to appeal to the nostalgic impulses of your old teenage fanbase, but those kind of sales are just unbelievable. They must have hit about four different demographics at once. It's almost Beatlesque.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:11

Take That - damn, who are they - I hear that name for the first time, no kidding.
Robbie Williams rings a bell though - cheesy pop - thank you kindly.
you people of UK have so many totally awesome bands and listen to that? ouch. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-30 23:11 by Amused.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:17

I don't like Take That, but Robbie is a far better showman & frontman than bloody Bono!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:17

I must admit I had also never heard of them before. Of course I know of R.Williams... But I never thought of these numbers. Crazy. And the ticket prices are quite high.

Date: May 31, 2011 00:23

phd
I must admit I had also never heard of them before. Of course I know of R.Williams... But I never thought of these numbers. Crazy. And the ticket prices are quite high.

There's been plenty of giant acts over here that haven't really made much impact stateside yet are popular in the rest of the world (Cliff Richard, Status Quo, Slade, The Jam/Paul Weller & Oasis are just a few names off the top off my head!). That's why I hate the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame so much, they seem to think if it didn't happen in the USA then it's not important.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:50

Cant see why people are that outraged about their popularity. Its not as if bands who appear to teenagers or who arent in the rock genre don't exist in the US?

Thricenay hits the nail on the head, though. This is a band who were huge to teenagers in the mid 90s and then split up for almost a decade. So, they kept their original fans AND gained a new fanbase as well. Plus, with Robbie on board (he left in '95, a couple of years before their original break up), they have their original line up again, making them even more popular.

They're also very good entertainers at what they do. Its not hard to see why they can pull in huge crowds, although the numbers for this tour are mind-boggling.

And £55-£85 (with most at the bottom end of that scale) seems to be the price range, which isnt bad at all for a big name act. Certainly cheaper than the Stones or U2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-31 01:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: May 31, 2011 04:59

We have some horrid popular acts here in the USA,but the incredibly bad taste of the UK music buying public never ceases to amaze me. Spice Girls, Westlife, Take That. Girls Aloud....WTF!

Date: May 31, 2011 05:30

i thought the song "back for good" was brilliant

Date: May 31, 2011 10:04

millerman60
We have some horrid popular acts here in the USA,but the incredibly bad taste of the UK music buying public never ceases to amaze me. Spice Girls, Westlife, Take That. Girls Aloud....WTF!

These boy bands were all highly influenced by U.S. acts like New Kids On The Block & New Edition, & the girl bands are just female versions of the same thing...

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 31, 2011 11:16

keefriffhard4life

There was a popular rumour at the time that the Gibb brothers had written it, but had agreed to keep schtum in exchange for a colossal amount of cash from Take That's record company RCA.

Date: May 31, 2011 11:18

Thricenay
keefriffhard4life

There was a popular rumour at the time that the Gibb brothers had written it, but had agreed to keep schtum in exchange for a colossal amount of cash from Take That's record company RCA.

There was a similar rumour that Otis Redding wrote "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", but I don't believe that either...

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 31, 2011 12:23

Sleepy City
Thricenay
keefriffhard4life

There was a similar rumour that Otis Redding wrote "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", but I don't believe that either...

nope - somebody brought Satisfaction to Otis sessions (Steve Cropper I guess) and they started rehearsing it - and in the end confused Otis was sure that was "their" tune, not from some English white boys... that's more or less how I heard it.
erm erm somebody will explain it better I guess.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 31, 2011 17:54

The music is just nice sing a long stuff but they are very relaxed all round entertainers and the shows have very broad appeal - kids, oldies, gay, straight, nostalgia. They have it all sewn up and Robbie Williams is a great live performer and manipulator of crowds. Plus there is a lot of affection for them in the UK for growing up from being a 'manufactured' boy band, and surviving into adulthood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-31 17:56 by Lady Jayne.

Date: May 31, 2011 18:34

Thricenay
keefriffhard4life

might be true. sounds like something they would do. who knows though other than the parties involved

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: May 31, 2011 20:18

Gazza
Cant see why people are that outraged about their popularity. Its not as if bands who appear to teenagers or who arent in the rock genre don't exist in the US?

Thricenay hits the nail on the head, though. This is a band who were huge to teenagers in the mid 90s and then split up for almost a decade. So, they kept their original fans AND gained a new fanbase as well. Plus, with Robbie on board (he left in '95, a couple of years before their original break up), they have their original line up again, making them even more popular.

They're also very good entertainers at what they do. Its not hard to see why they can pull in huge crowds, although the numbers for this tour are mind-boggling.

And £55-£85 (with most at the bottom end of that scale) seems to be the price range, which isnt bad at all for a big name act. Certainly cheaper than the Stones or U2.

I think any outrage should be caused because they are crap.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 31, 2011 21:18

if the SToneroses reform they'll break take that anyway

Date: May 31, 2011 21:20

MadMax
if the SToneroses reform they'll break take that anyway

umm no. i looked it up and TAKE THAT appears to be the most popular act in the uk for the last 20 years

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 3, 2011 20:45

I’m a little nostalgic about Take That. I remember hearing Could It Be Magic as a 9-year-old and all the girls in my class had their Take That notebooks and pencil cases. They were the boy band circa 1992-96 here in the UK. Robbie’s departure spelled the end, but I have no problem with their renewed success, personally. As well as coaxing back the 20 and 30-something’s who were fans in the 90’s; they’ve also attracted new audiences, also. They sort of represent middle-of-the-road acceptability. It’s background music for 30-somethings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 20:48 by Big Al.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 3, 2011 23:07

Big Al
I’m a little nostalgic about Take That. I remember hearing Could It Be Magic as a 9-year-old and all the girls in my class had their Take That notebooks and pencil cases. They were the boy band circa 1992-96 here in the UK. Robbie’s departure spelled the end, but I have no problem with their renewed success, personally. As well as coaxing back the 20 and 30-something’s who were fans in the 90’s; they’ve also attracted new audiences, also. They sort of represent middle-of-the-road acceptability. It’s background music for 30-somethings.

Are you aware that is an old Donna Summer track.
Where casual entertainment is concerned, I think I'd prefer Donna.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 4, 2011 01:38

I've never listened to Take That (I'm American) but like Robbie Williams and think he is a great performer. Here's a video of him doing his hit "Feel" on the Tonite Show (with Katie Couric hosting) in 2003. He's very funny here and I never get tired of watching this clip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-04 01:39 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2011 01:54

Take That is of course a boyband. A middleaged boyband to be precise. What they have though is a public Mick Jagger would dream of: mostly girls (women) between 20-35. And they are very loyal to the band... .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home