Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT: Wayne Perkins
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 6, 2010 04:07

Amazing guitar player, and he has gone mainly unnoticed. One of the guitarists that auditioned for the Stones after Taylor left. What if...

The Wailers - Concrete Jungle:

Hot Stuff:

Re: Semi OT: Wayne Perkins
Posted by: winter ()
Date: September 6, 2010 04:43

Thanks for the Perkins reminder, it made me look him up on wiki. Looks like LOTS of sessions over the decades but only one or two solo albums to check out. The first song on his myspace page has some f*%king wicked slide and gritty playing.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: September 6, 2010 04:59

there's an interesting article about him here

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: September 6, 2010 05:15

Wayne Perkins did not play on "Hot Stuff". That was Harvey Mandel. Perkins played on "Hand of Fate", "Fool to Cry" and along with Mandel on "Memory Motel".

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 6, 2010 05:21

deeppurple
Wayne Perkins did not play on "Hot Stuff". That was Harvey Mandel. Perkins played on "Hand of Fate", "Fool to Cry" and along with Mandel on "Memory Motel".

Oops, sorry, don't know why I got them mixed up.

He also played the great solo on Worried About You.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 6, 2010 11:33

The man that could have replaced Taylor,imo.

Date: September 6, 2010 14:48

Amen! Woody was born to be a Rolling Stone. Keith wanted Perkins but, I am not sure if he would have stayed or if, the Stones would still be around. Ronnie has had alot to do with keeping them going. Imo, the Stones have held Ronnie back. Admit he has been his own worst enemy at times!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 6, 2010 15:23

for years i thoght the hand of fate solo was done by ronnie...

the solo of han of fate is one of the best solos ever recorded on a stones album!
the phrasing, the attitude, the melodic knwoledge, the structure how it's built up and the amazing TONE...man what a tone....

a perfect 10!

Date: September 6, 2010 15:48

guitarbastard

the solo of han of fate is one of the best solos ever recorded on a stones album!
the phrasing, the attitude, the melodic knwoledge, the structure how it's built up and the amazing TONE...man what a tone....

a perfect 10!

One can be sadly mistaken.smiling smiley

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: September 7, 2010 17:25

Amsterdamned
guitarbastard

a perfect 10!

aye , and for those reasonsobviously NOT ronnie (bless him)

btw great first try on the mickboy boot From Rags To Excess,only the solo needed to be redone , overdubbed probably within minutes.

yeah, what if....

Date: September 7, 2010 17:44

guitarbastard

a perfect 10!
i agree , do you think that he was trying to copy taylor ? it sounds so close to mick taylor to me ?

Date: September 7, 2010 17:56

The Greek
guitarbastard

a perfect 10!
i agree , do you think that he was trying to copy taylor ? it sounds so close to mick taylor to me ?
what fantastic tone ,it sounds like a les paul going through maybe one of taylor's ampegs . this to me sounds like it could have been played on brussels 73 the tone is so much taylor .either way this solo rocks big time .!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 7, 2010 18:00

deeppurple

plus 'Worried About You', of course.

Date: September 7, 2010 18:21

Gazza, with the addition of "Worried About You" and "Slave", what a difference they would have made on "Black and Blue"...

Date: September 7, 2010 19:22

straycatblues73
Amsterdamned
guitarbastard

a perfect 10!

aye , and for those reasonsobviously NOT ronnie (bless him)

Bless Ronnie,agreed.

Date: September 7, 2010 19:40

deeppurple
Gazza, with the addition of "Worried About You" and "Slave", what a difference they would have made on "Black and Blue"...

True, certainly in the case of WAY, but 'Slave' wasnt as finished by the time 'Black & Blue' came out.

What would 'Slave' be without Sonny Rollins? Its the overdubs (including the vocals) which make it such a great record. I think 'Worried About You' was improved as well, although it needed less work, obviously.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: September 8, 2010 01:22

Is it just me or does Black and Blue just keep getting better with age (ok, I can do without Cherry)? Perkins, Mandel, Ronnie, Keith it was all good. Every song unique and I still think it is one of the best sounding Stones albums of all time. Mandels phased solo on Hot Stuff gets me everytime.

Date: September 8, 2010 01:24

You're right. Its certainly aged well.

And I've always been in the pro-Cherry Oh Baby camp, even though we're a small minority.

Still never could warm to 'Melody', although I enjoyed seeing them play it at Shepherds Bush.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2010 06:03

deeppurple
Amen! Woody was born to be a Rolling Stone. Keith wanted Perkins but, I am not sure if he would have stayed or if, the Stones would still be around. Ronnie has had alot to do with keeping them going. Imo, the Stones have held Ronnie back. Admit he has been his own worst enemy at times!

Where is the evidence for the oft-stated claim that Ronnie "helped keep the Stones together"? More Muddy-painting-the-ceiling type mythology, imo. There were at least two tours (probably more) where he was nearly booted out of the band, and during the period they actually did break up for a while, he did not, in fact, keep them together.

As for Perkins, if they wanted another Taylor-type situation they could have hired him (his playing on "Hand of Fate" is a dead ringer for Taylor's style). I remember one of them (Jagger?) saying at the end of the day, the Stones are a British band, and they could not fathom having an American member.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-08 06:05 by 71Tele.

Date: September 8, 2010 10:59

71Tele
deeppurple

Where is the evidence for the oft-stated claim that Ronnie "helped keep the Stones together"? More Muddy-painting-the-ceiling type mythology, imo. There were at least two tours (probably more) where he was nearly booted out of the band, and during the period they actually did break up for a while, he did not, in fact, keep them together.

As for Perkins, if they wanted another Taylor-type situation they could have hired him (his playing on "Hand of Fate" is a dead ringer for Taylor's style). I remember one of them (Jagger?) saying at the end of the day, the Stones are a British band, and they could not fathom having an American member.

There is no evidence imo.
The Stones just wanted a player to have fun with,and someone with no too much musical ambitions. Ron was the perfect man for that. The rest is history. Long live Britannia.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-08 11:26 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: September 8, 2010 12:49

Gazza
You're right. Its certainly aged well.

And I've always been in the pro-Cherry Oh Baby camp, even though we're a small minority.

Still never could warm to 'Melody', although I enjoyed seeing them play it at Shepherds Bush.

Have you heard Bill Wymans group do it with Georgie Fame on vocals? I love the gospel/jazz feel, but always felt that Mick and Billy played it a bit campy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home