Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Whats so wrong with Stones Concerts at Stadiums
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 5, 2010 11:17

I like music, not tractor-pulls.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 5, 2010 17:28

Doxa
But ABB tour consisted solely of stadiums

- Doxa

Mostly, not solely, of stadiums.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2010 17:56

tatters
Doxa
But ABB tour consisted solely of stadiums

- Doxa

Mostly, not solely, of stadiums.

Yeah, that's true. My memory covered basically the European legs... Especially in USA there were actually quite many arena shows. The arenas - over-all - are bigger in the US as they are in Europe (expect occasional site like O2).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-05 17:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 6, 2010 03:07

Winter - You have it right except for the part about the republican. I'm one and when I see the Stones is when I let loose. We aren't all stuffed shirts!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: September 6, 2010 04:23

slew
Winter - You have it right except for the part about the republican. I'm one and when I see the Stones is when I let loose. We aren't all stuffed shirts!

Oh, I know! And people who are overweight and unable to distinguish Satisfaction from JJFlash could easily be of any political stripe as well, but that wasn't the point. That's why I called that sentence a real "over-generalization", caricaturing a certain newer type of prevalent Stones' concert attendee that was simply more restrained-looking/conservative than you'ld typically expect at a Keith Richards event. Your term "stuffed shirts" would be a perfect substitute, I just am never sure if certain phrases are understood internationally. And I certainly wasn't talking about hardcore or even casual Stones fans in that stadium audience example, who I'm aware are of varied political persuasions, religions, races, soccer/football allegiances, Top 5 Lists, etc., but the 'non-fans', as it were. Point taken, though.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: September 7, 2010 05:35

small venue = less seats
less seats = lower odds of getting in
lower odds of getting in = higher ticket prices
higher ticket prices = unable to afford multiple shows
unable to afford multiple shows = unhappy fan

Date: September 7, 2010 07:05

Doxa
Actually I'm not against stadiums per se but it looks like that the size of the audience seems to gain and control the policy of the nature of the performance (and set list)... the show is more spectacle - the visuality, fireworks, lights and all, are more important than the musical substance. The set lists are safe and sure hot rocks/forty licks kind of deals. There are even claims that certain "obscure" songs do not "work" in stadiums, but need smaller context, etc. Bullshit.

I think the claim that certain songs doesn't work in the stadium-context actually tries to say that in a stadium they need to concentrate to theatrics, fooling around, Vegas Show-ness to "entertain" the crowd. This means that they can't put the energy to actual music.

It shouldn't need to be so. In 1978 - and to an extent 1981/82 - the band show that it can challenge the audience and rock hard in a stadium without the stadium theatrics. Seemingly they don't believe any longer to the power of their own musicianship and music to think it is to be enough to "win" the audience.

I think there was nothing wrong with the gigs getting bigger - what happened, say, from 1969 to 1982, was quite natural development. But after 1989, it looks like that the stadium show, as a concept of its own, have started to control the performance and its limits; it's living like a life of its own. And The Stones somehow stuck into it, and sound like being forced to do the shows and set lists like they do. It is musically sad that seemingly anyone involved seem to have accepted this supposed necessary state of affairs. I think that's bull shit. There is always a chance to do things differently, if there is a will or artistic braveness and ambitousness.

- Doxa

best post in a long time. also the stones overuse the extra players. no need for vegas backing vocals and an entire horn section of every tune because it just doesn't work on every song.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 7, 2010 07:14

keefriffhard4life
Doxa
Actually I'm not against stadiums per se but it looks like that the size of the audience seems to gain and control the policy of the nature of the performance (and set list)... the show is more spectacle - the visuality, fireworks, lights and all, are more important than the musical substance. The set lists are safe and sure hot rocks/forty licks kind of deals. There are even claims that certain "obscure" songs do not "work" in stadiums, but need smaller context, etc. Bullshit.

I think the claim that certain songs doesn't work in the stadium-context actually tries to say that in a stadium they need to concentrate to theatrics, fooling around, Vegas Show-ness to "entertain" the crowd. This means that they can't put the energy to actual music.

It shouldn't need to be so. In 1978 - and to an extent 1981/82 - the band show that it can challenge the audience and rock hard in a stadium without the stadium theatrics. Seemingly they don't believe any longer to the power of their own musicianship and music to think it is to be enough to "win" the audience.

I think there was nothing wrong with the gigs getting bigger - what happened, say, from 1969 to 1982, was quite natural development. But after 1989, it looks like that the stadium show, as a concept of its own, have started to control the performance and its limits; it's living like a life of its own. And The Stones somehow stuck into it, and sound like being forced to do the shows and set lists like they do. It is musically sad that seemingly anyone involved seem to have accepted this supposed necessary state of affairs. I think that's bull shit. There is always a chance to do things differently, if there is a will or artistic braveness and ambitousness.

- Doxa

best post in a long time. also the stones overuse the extra players. no need for vegas backing vocals and an entire horn section of every tune because it just doesn't work on every song.

Eh. They don't use them in every song.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 7, 2010 13:12

Justin
Hey I don't mind where they play...it's just what they play. And we tend to get the most non-adventurous set lists at stadium shows. Mick is so concerned with the new fans in the audience--what about the hardcore fans? How about making the show (or tour) worthwhile for us too?

I wish they'd put some warhorses on the shelf for a while...actually make it a treat to hear it when they do pull it out. I mean...every damn show we know we can expect: JJF, Tumblin, HTW, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction and Start Me Up. Do audiences REALLY need Start Me Up? It's a great track but you really get the idea after the first 90 seconds. As a concert goer---you can predict the last block of songs to the T. It doesn't help that there really isn't anything "new" in how they're playing these songs either. Show me JJF from the Licks tour or ABB tour...I wouldn't be able to notice the difference. The best songs are the ones where you can tell what tour it's from...that's when you know they're still adding something to the song. Now, the songs are beyond regurgitation.

So, I would still be faced with these issues even if they played an arena or a club show. But something magical does happen to the band when you stick them on a small stage where they can actually FEEL the music.

i never thought about it but you are write. you can listen to a live stones tune from any tour prior to the 90's and tell exactly what tour its from. since voodoo lounge everything sounds about the same every tour.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 7, 2010 13:43

Doxa

- Doxa

It's been the same debate for ages.

Don't know if you attended those tours, but I really remmeber that for the '78 tour many people I knew were quite dissapointed with the absence of warhorses. And let's not forget that the '78 tour was really not that extended. 1981 they had SMU and even my grandma was dancing and singing to.

I also remember the '75 tour, the biggest Vegas tour of 'em all and it was in arenas.

Bottom line, there will always be whinners (not that I include you in this category Doxa) and the shows will always be GREAT.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: September 7, 2010 13:59

Well, it feels like they focus more on doing a big show and the material. If they do a small concert, the sound will be easier to make good and they wil focus on playing good. But I like those big stadium shows too.. im an extreme fukcer!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 7, 2010 15:35

There is a whole bunch of other songs that are similar in speed etc as the songs that "work in stadiums". So that whole excuse is poor. Maybe Mick means that if 3 songs have the crowd sing along (YCAGWYW, Brown Sugar and...what, SFTD?) and they don't know any others...

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: September 7, 2010 15:35

If there is a FOS section (europe standing) and you are inside, nothing is wrong.

Then you can enjoy a stadium concert!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home