Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter Live Releases
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 5, 2010 09:13

Does anyone find it odd that Gimme Shelter never got a live release until No Security? The one on Live Licks blows in comparison.

Seems very very odd for such a highly loved track.

Re: Gimmie Shelter Concert Releases
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 5, 2010 09:45

... apart from being featured in two films, the Atlantic City PPV, at least one Winos' telecast and the Stripped special, that is.
probably they just didn't really notice it hadn't been on a concert album per se.
it seems pretty standard practice for the Stones not to pay much attention to things like that :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-05 10:44 by with sssoul.

Re: Gimme Shelter Live Releases
Date: September 5, 2010 10:55

Yeah, the B-side. But no proper live album placement until 1998! It's a bit odd how some songs get routine appearances, it seems, while other better songs are ignored.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 5, 2010 11:41

It got two official releases before 1998:

930413A 13th April: VARIOUS ARTISTS.
Cassette ‘Gimme Shelter Pop’ (EMI TCORDER 1). Mixed by Don Was at
Olympic Studios. Recorded live on the Steel Wheels US tour, 1989. Incl.
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -by The Rolling Stones
Note: Charitiy cassette-single incl. one Rolling Stones-live track not available
elsewhere (with exception on the promotional single EMI ORDERLH 1
and on the promotional CD EMI CDORDER DJL1

960311A 11th March: THE ROLLING STONES.
CD-single (Virgin VSCDT 1578). Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins.
- Wild Horses (MJ/KR) - studio recording, Tokyo 3.-5.3.95
- Live With Me (MJ/KR) -live in London 19.7.95; previously unreleased
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -live in Paris 3.7.95; previously unreleased
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -live in Amsterdam 26.5.95; previously unreleased

Re: Gimmie Shelter Concert Releases
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 6, 2010 12:35

The official live albums do have certain remarkable choices.
I never understood why a song like All down the line (a stage favorite on every tour since
1972) never appeared on a live album before Shine a light. Gimme Shelter is another example
indeed. But we do have various versions of an obscure song like I'm free and Live with me
also had more than a proportional share of representation on live albums.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 6, 2010 14:26

As for the earlier albums, only Ya Ya's had a possibility, really, as it wasn't played on the tours for Love You Live, Still Life, and I don't even think it was played at the time of Flashpoint. I think it was Keith that started playing it w/ the Winos, and only then did the Stones put it back in the live act.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 6, 2010 15:25

LeonidP
As for the earlier albums, only Ya Ya's had a possibility, really, as it wasn't played on the tours for Love You Live, Still Life, and I don't even think it was played at the time of Flashpoint. I think it was Keith that started playing it w/ the Winos, and only then did the Stones put it back in the live act.

Gimme Shelter was played in 1975 and in 1989/90.
Keith played it with The Winos in 1992/93.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-06 15:32 by erikjjf.

Date: September 6, 2010 21:33

The 7th Of July version (Urban Jungle) is a bit too fast.

I know it's had other releases but I should have clarified - live albums.

It's very very strange that they put it on as a B-side of the Stripped single instead of putting it on Stripped. A half baked version of Wild Horses went on Stripped instead of Gimme Shelter? The boring and bland I'm Free went on Stripped instead of All Down The Line? Angie instead of Black Limo?

Some very very poor choices I think.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 6, 2010 22:39

skipstone

It's very very strange that they put it on as a B-side of the Stripped single instead of putting it on Stripped. A half baked version of Wild Horses went on Stripped instead of Gimme Shelter? The boring and bland I'm Free went on Stripped instead of All Down The Line? Angie instead of Black Limo?

The reason why those numbers isn't on that album is because they doesn't fit into the "Unplugged" nature of that album.

Although I agree the b-sides are very very strong performances -in fact some of their best live recordings ever- the last thing The Stones wanted in 94/95, was another full-blown electric live album.

In some ways I understand that: I really enjoy Stripped as a nice alternative of listening to The Stones. It's the ONLY album of theirs, that I can put on and everyone who is not Stones fans can listen to it as well.

On the other hand, it's a shame those fantastic club performances are wasted as b-sides.

Date: September 7, 2010 09:41

skipstone

A half baked version?? IMO, the best version they ever did, the original studio take included.

Date: September 7, 2010 10:43

DandelionPowderman
skipstone

A half baked version?? IMO, the best version they ever did, the original studio take included.

i like the 70's studio alternate version the best

anyways the version of gimme shelter on no security is amazing

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 7, 2010 10:59

erikjjf
Gimme Shelter was played in 1975 and in 1989/90.
Keith played it with The Winos in 1992/93.

I do not think they could have released any of the 1975 live recordings on an official album. The song may have worked in concert at the time but if you listen to it on bootlegs it's weak (and not only for those who are lucky enough to know the 1973 live versions).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home