Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. Rest of Prince shows?
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 25, 2011 23:37

Hope he has got his act together.......................

Prince's 17 remaining L.A. shows cloaked in mystery

By Ray Waddell | Reuters . Even though Prince is in the early stages of a 21-show stand in Los Angeles -- four down, 17 to go -- it's not at all clear where future shows will be held or where his tour will wrap up.

Prince's current leg began on April 14 at the Forum; his most recent show was at the storied arena on Saturday.

"Everything comes from Prince," says Mark Campana, co-president of North America concerts for Live Nation.

And, as Prince is prone to making quick decisions, the remainder of the tour after L.A., or even when the L.A. run will wrap, is still in the air.

"He has not discussed anything beyond L.A., and L.A. was decided literally as the trucks were leaving the Carolinas (at the end of March)," Campana says. "The drivers needed to know what direction to go and Prince said, 'head west.' By the time they were halfway across the country, they were told to go to Los Angeles and we were announcing the shows and putting them on sale for the Forum. So spontaneity is in play on all levels. We're all waiting with bated breath as to where's he going after Los Angeles."

Campana expected the rest of the L.A. shows to be played at the Forum, but then again ... "We are taking direction, not giving direction," he said. confused smiley

Re: O.T. Rest of Prince shows?
Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: April 25, 2011 23:50

Well, that's refreshing... I love that the guy is doing something different/trying something new. I bet every night at the Forum it's gonna be an entirely different set list and vibe. Then he should put the whole thing out on a 20 DVD box set. Keep the price reasonable and I'll buy one.... Under $120.00 on Amazon....

Date: April 26, 2011 04:49

get what act together? prince is only doing multi shows at locations. he did new york already. no need to "announce" anything as it was months between cities

Date: April 26, 2011 09:41

keefriffhard4life
get what act together? prince is only doing multi shows at locations. he did new york already. no need to "announce" anything as it was months between cities
You're right.He can do what he likes.I'm just thinking of the fans who want to see him play at The Forum.There may be a lot of fans all over North America and further afield making plans,or waiting to make plans to see him in LA. Meant to be another 17 dates and dedicated fans on the west coast may be dissapointed if it don't work out.Michael Jackson did the same at O2 London....................but he had a good excuse. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-26 09:43 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: April 26, 2011 13:08

Three more shows at the Forum Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Tickets still $25, on sale today (Tuesday) at noon Pacific Time.

[www.ticketmaster.com]

keefriffhard4life

Well, most artists do prefer to 'announce' and put their shows on sale with more than two days' notice smoking smiley .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-26 13:42 by Pie1.

Date: April 26, 2011 15:05

he announced the shows like 1 month before they started. really its prince he can sell a lot of tickets in very little time

Date: April 26, 2011 16:28

Seems to me now,he's got his own way of selling tickets.3 or 4 gigs at a time are sold a few days before the gigs.If the place is sold out,do the same again.If tickets are not selling to his liking .....................that's the time to put the brakes on and stop.Could be 10-15 shows or the whole run of 21 gigs.I like his spontanious nature and the fans who need to travel a distance will have to plan round that.He probably want's to be in full control and he makes the decisions.Bit like Mick with The Stones but with Mick it is all carefully planned well in advance with maximum financial gain.That's my take on it all,anyway. smoking smiley

Date: April 26, 2011 17:01

not true at all. i'm sure the venue or live nation has a contract with prince and he has to complete the entire run. i've been to shows with hardly anyone there and the gig went on as the venue owners lost money

Date: April 26, 2011 17:34

"Everything comes from Prince," says Mark Campana, co-president of North America concerts for Live Nation.

And, as Prince is prone to making quick decisions, the remainder of the tour after L.A., or even when the L.A. run will wrap, is still in the air.

"He has not discussed anything beyond L.A., and L.A. was decided literally as the trucks were leaving the Carolinas (at the end of March)," Campana says.

Campana expected the rest of the L.A. shows to be played at the Forum, but then again ... "We are taking direction, not giving direction," he said.

Judging by the above comment by Mark Campana from Live Nation it is not 100% certain ,but judging the popularity of Prince,he will do 21 shows...................if he realy feels like it. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 26, 2011 17:37

His purpleness is an odd duck sometimes.eye popping smiley

Date: April 26, 2011 18:08

i'm thinking that statement means the run may go on past the 21 dates and not the its ending early

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: April 26, 2011 18:50

The word is that NOT all 21 shows will necessarily take place @ the Forum - but who knows. Watch out for gigs on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays the coming next weeks.

Date: April 26, 2011 18:53

Yeh...........I guess you can take it both ways.I did notice the only other event at the Forum is 20th May,so it could extend even longer maybe and dates maybe a week apart or consecutive days.It all depends on the wee purple guy I guess.grinning smiley

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 26, 2011 23:33

the setlists for the first few shows were AMAZING

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 26, 2011 23:41

My friend got 4 front row center tix for $25 each in today's onsale.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 29, 2011 07:57

Apparently tonight's show is dead empty with $10 tickets at the box office and my friends got upgraded into the VIP area for free.

[prince.org]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 1, 2011 01:47

Dan
Apparently tonight's show is dead empty with $10 tickets at the box office and my friends got upgraded into the VIP area for free.

[prince.org]

Yes it's true, so if you are thinking about going, you should get a good seat. Prince also kept pushing the other shows, at one point saying, "Before you leave, get seats for tomorrow night for your friends."

Prince came on at 9:30 and played to just before midnight. He also made an appearance with the warm-up band, but I have no idea who they were. The woman sitting behind me said they have been around for 20 to 30 years.

Well worth the $25. (Parking was also $25)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 2, 2011 11:22

A review from a guy who taped the show :

"Prince and the New Power Generation
"The Forum
Los Angeles, CA
April 29, 2011

Show #6 of the 21 Nite Stand.

Not super long, but a really great show. Very guitar heavy and some cool song choices. Not a big party show. Prince the musician. The Santana medley and the 15 minute The One were worth the price of admission alone. Prince played bass on Lovergirl through Everyday People (he took Ida's bass off of her) and again later in the show. Even every night played covers like Everyday People seemed fresher mainly because of Princes guitar playing. Sheila E. onstage for most of the show. Only negative is the show ending sample medley. After the 10 minute wait thing, it was kind of a blase way to end the show. Sound quality is equal to the others. A great sounding show"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-02 15:46 by dcba.

Date: May 6, 2011 23:35

"Prince and the New Power Generation
The Forum
Los Angeles, CA
May 5, 2011

Show #8 of the 21 Nite Stand.

Not spectacular, but a really nice, enjoyable show. Not a huge crowd at all - very few sitting in the uppers - and it seemed to make for more relaxed show. A more traditionally paced show than the last one on 4/30. A full, 2 hour set before the encore break. 1 long encore. No 10 minute wait thing. When it was over, it was over. A very nice quiet opening - very much like 4/21. Orange Strat on first 2 songs. Hohner on all the rest. Whitney Houston pops onstage during a very long Musicology. Don't over expect. Cedric the Entertainer attempts to sing during Raspberry Beret. The song sort of falls apart, but it allows Prince to throw in some tasty guitar licks. The show had an odd end. Prince leaves the stage after the vocals on Kiss - does none of the butt shaking dancing that he has done on all other shows - but the band completely finishes the song as per normal - as the audience/dancers are methodically led off the stage by security.

A really good sounding show. One of the best of the bunch so far. I shortened the encore crowd by a couple of minutes so the show would fit on 2 discs. Samples below.

Sonics>Battery Box>Edirol R-09HR>ProTools (for level adjustment, compression, eq, noise reduction and song separation)>flac.

Taped and mastered by JB. Please don't sell. DO NOT convert to lossy format. That means don't post a bunch of mp3's on your blog because you want your friends to hear the show, or post mp3's because some guy doesn't want to take the time to download 1000MB. If you upload this show on another site, include all the text info above, especially the NO LOSSY part. Please no remastering without asking.

Disc 1 (65:48)

01. The Love We Make
02. Shhhh
03. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
04. Cool
05. Let's Work / Give It To Me (Prince on Bass)
06. You Got The Look
07. The Question of U / The One
08. Musicology / Prince And The Band
09. Stratus (w/ band intros)

Disc 2 (79:53)

01. Angel (sung by the girls)
02. Nothing Compares To U (Duet with Shelby J)
03. Sometimes It Snows In April (no guitar)
04. Take Me With U
05. Raspberry Beret
06. Guitar
07. Controversy (with Housequake chants)
08. Let's Go Crazy
09. Delirious / Let's Go Crazy (reprise)
10. 1999
11. Little Red Corvette (yes guitar)
12. Purple Rain

Encore
Prince at the sampler . . .
13. When Doves Cry / Nasty Girl / Sign O The Times / Most Beautiful Girl / Alphabet St / Love Bizarre / Darling Nikki / Single Ladies / I Would Die 4 U

14. If Eye Was Ur Girlfriend
15. Kiss "

[www.thetradersden.org]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 7, 2011 11:27

At the O2 he annoyed me by starting songs at a keyboard, and when the crowd
recognized the song and went "yeah"after seconds, he stopped. "Ah, too many to
choose from!"

But the concert was fantastic!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:17

21 shows? Not all in the same month right? Just for the year? Why would he do that? Not enough people in the US care that much.

Obviously, if show 8 was not even half full. Nobody could do that in the US.

Or as Prince said, Who gonna stop 200 balloons - nobody.

Date: May 7, 2011 23:25

Prince & The New Power Generation
The Forum
Inglewood, Ca
May 6, 2011

01 Laydown
02 She's Always In My Hair
03 Future Soul Song
04 Purple Rain
05 Glamorous Life
06 Raspberry Beret
07 Cream
08 Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough > Cool
09 Let's Work
10 U Got The Look
11 Misty Blue
(Sampler Segment)
12 When Doves Cry / Nasty Girl / Single Ladies / Sign O' The Times / The Most Beautiful Girl In The World / Darling Nikki / I Would Die 4 U / Hot Thing / Alphabet Street
13 A Love Bizarre > Love Rollercoaster (riff)
14 Play That Funky Music
15 Controversy > Housequake chants
16 crowd
(encore one)
17 Kiss
18 crowd
(Encore Two)
19 If I Was Your Girlfriend
20 Nothing Compares 2 U
21 crowd
(Encore Three)
22 Inglewood Swingin'

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:17

The purple one is coming back to San Jose next week.Thursday and saturday. In between his LA shows.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: May 24, 2011 16:15

Hey, heads up to the Angelenos : Prince is playing three club shows in LA on Wednesday.
Tix on sale today (Tuesday) at 12:00pm PT on Ticketmaster. 200$, 100$, and 500$ (for a charity event).
Location(s) not disclosed. Should be pretty wild...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 24, 2011 16:22

Pie1
Hey, heads up to the Angelenos : Prince is playing three club shows in LA on Wednesday.
Tix on sale today (Tuesday) at 12:00pm PT on Ticketmaster. 200$, 100$, and 500$ (for a charity event).
Location(s) not disclosed. Should be pretty wild...
Not from there, but if I was, this tip is golden, THANK YOU.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 24, 2011 17:53

Dublin show announced for Malahide Castle on Saturday July 30th.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 24, 2011 21:46

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

""Prince, the Purple One is giving L.A. fans three more chances this week.

The singer -- whose Welcome 2 America Live "21-Night Stand" residency is in full swing -- announced he will play a batch of three intimate shows in one night on Wednesday at venues to be determined. Tickets go on sale at noon Tuesday at Ticketmaster.com and LiveNation.com.

Tickets for his eleventh-hour double set at West Hollywood’s Troubadour went for $100 a pop, so no surprise fans can expect to drop major coin for these shows: Seats for his first jam, scheduled for 7 p.m., start at $200; at 10, the show dubbed Jazz Café goes for $100; and the midnight-hour charity show goes for $500.""
-----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Interesting...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 24, 2011 21:51

Prince has been added to the bill of the Hop Farm Festival in Kent, England. A 3rd day has been added, which he'll be headlining.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home