Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Amper VT-22 Keith's best amp?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 27, 2010 22:16

I think it might very well be, with the boogie not far behind.

Re: Amper VT-22 Keith's best amp?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 28, 2010 00:42

The only problem is that we don't know how much he used it...There's a couple of pics from Nellcote and a couple from Sunset Sound with a VT-22 in the background, and that basically is it.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 28, 2010 00:49

No, simply because most of his career defining tones were not achieved using that amp.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 28, 2010 00:56

Loudei

If you use it yourself,you know enough.
We don't need Keith to judge. It's a matter of taste.
I got one,and a mesa boogie.Apart from the weight and the volume,I'am very satisfied.
Accidentally,I wrote about it in a different topic today.

Date: June 28, 2010 00:59

His Majesty
No, simply because most of his career defining tones were not achieved using that amp.

That, I don't know...For many, Exile is career defining, and there's quite some Ampeg sounds to be heard on that record. It's the darker sound of Exile compared to the bright Fender sound that many associate with Ampeg. Whether or not it is the VT-22 nobody knows for sure.

Mathijs

Date: June 28, 2010 03:56

Mathijs check the Ya's Ya's collectors book.

Page 7 - I see two ampeg combos played by Keith and Taylor - looks like VT-22
Page 8 - Keith sits on top of an Ampeg combo - not sure which model...could be an SVT or a V-4.

This pics are from the 69 tour for sure....check the snake boots

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 28, 2010 04:48

In stones in exile...I noticed the v4 heads of course but also a few silverface fenders in corners. Also a few Gemini ampegs here and there-g12 70s version of course. A vt-40 of course from the pick of Kieth sitting at Olympic studios w a sunburst Les paul and Mick standing behind him. The pics in ya yas book are gemini's. Notice the 4 inputs for the guitar vt-22 and 40 didn't have those. Ampegs are very dark. A few of the pics around that time show smaller ampeg combos. Possibly the gu-12. Which I have and give a good
clean dark sound which sounds like Many of
the tracks on exile's tone. But I can't confirm they used them on the album.

Go Dawgs!

Date: June 28, 2010 12:13

<Ampegs are very dark.>
nankerphlege

Strange you state Ampegs are very dark.
I still use a VT 22 (with 2 EV speakers in it) sometimes
You can make it sound as bright or dark as you want,matter of adjustment.
That's it's power?

Date: June 28, 2010 16:01

I agree you can adjust for sound but the ampegs are darker or
warmer sounding to me than say a Marshall.

Go Dawgs!

Date: June 28, 2010 22:40

Loudei
Mathijs check the Ya's Ya's collectors book.

Page 7 - I see two ampeg combos played by Keith and Taylor - looks like VT-22
Page 8 - Keith sits on top of an Ampeg combo - not sure which model...could be an SVT or a V-4.

This pics are from the 69 tour for sure....check the snake boots

Correct, some VT-22's where delivered to Stephen Stills house for the Stones rehearsals in '69, but I was talking studio sessions. There's quite some VT-22, VT-40's, Gemini's, a V-2 and various SVT amps to be seen during rehearsals or tune-ups, but not in the studio.

Mathijs

Date: June 28, 2010 22:42

Amsterdamned
<Ampegs are very dark.>
nankerphlege

That's it's power?

Depends which one you have -with Sensitivity rocker switches on the input or not. The latter (which is the standard model from '76 onwards) can be very bright indeed, as the presence control is not a negative feedback control but a simple mid-boost.

Mathijs

Date: June 29, 2010 00:06

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
<Ampegs are very dark.>
nankerphlege

That's it's power?

Depends which one you have -with Sensitivity rocker switches on the input or not. The latter (which is the standard model from '76 onwards) can be very bright indeed, as the presence control is not a negative feedback control but a simple mid-boost.

Mathijs

The latter,which can be bright as todays weather indeed.

Date: June 29, 2010 15:10

Which obviously wasn't used on exile. That is what I meant about the darker or warmer sounding amps sorry I didn't clarify. I bet your vt22 makes you sound very different than your counterparts! I love 70s ampegs.

Go Dawgs!

Date: June 29, 2010 15:24

nankerphlege
Which obviously wasn't used on exile. That is what I meant about the darker or warmer sounding amps sorry I didn't clarify. I bet your vt22 makes you sound very different than your counterparts! I love 70s ampegs.

Yes,the 70s ampegs bring the best guitar sound in history.
imo..but the weight and the volume..There's a little light on that: The VT22 is perfectly compatible with a ts 9,which allows you to have a great distorted sound without playing too loud.Let's say volume 3 or 4...But these days..winking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 29, 2010 15:24

Loudei

It all depends on the guitar you plug into it.

Date: June 29, 2010 15:27

Koen
Loudei

It all depends on the guitar you plug into it.

And the player.

Re: Ampeg VT-22 Keith's best amp?
Date: June 29, 2010 20:27

I own an Ampeg Reverbrocket R12, I also own a Fender Bassman.

We all know which player we are talking about and what music. I think that even though we don't know for a fact which amps where played on what songs we can pretty much do a little forensic music study. Just like some of us can tell on which records the Mark I is played.

The Ampeg made a difference after the Let it Bleed album sound wise... I mean does Sticky Fingers sound similar to Let it Bleed? We all know the same guitars were played on both records, but I believe he played the ampeg more on Exile... gee I know its a weird thread , he could ve played a Deluxe reverb or just a champ for all I know but what do your ears tell ya?

Re: Ampeg VT-22 Keith's best amp?
Date: May 19, 2011 17:56

Does anyone run a vt22 with an attenuator? Is the volume manageable?

Go Dawgs!

Date: May 19, 2011 18:19

Keith sounded best on Ampegs (live) imo, I only saw him playing on rehearsals on the VT-22 though.

I still have one, and it sounds great
One problem: Ive got neighbours...

Date: May 19, 2011 20:07

Amsterdamned...have you tried an attenuator?What about pulling two of the tubes?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: May 19, 2011 20:54

For me high powered Tweed twin gives all the best for Keith style.Another subject is how he uses his amps.On the last tour Keith had very dense dirty , grungy tone but on the previous tours his tone was too clean - Four Flick is the unfamous example .Steel Wheels Tour was interesting - old Tweed Fenders with Marshalls.

Date: May 20, 2011 11:25

nankerphlege
Amsterdamned...have you tried an attenuator?What about pulling two of the tubes?

No,I don't.
But You can pull out two of the tubes, but then still it's a noisy amp if you want a decent sound.
These days you'd better go for lower volumes..Ive got a mesa MK3 which is quite enough on stage.

Date: May 20, 2011 13:35

Amsterdamned- i am asking because I have been offered a trade for a Gemini iv or vt22. I would prefer the vt22 but day to day usage volume is a concern.I really want the vt22. My only thoughts were to run an attenuator on the vt22. Any thoughts?

Go Dawgs!

Date: May 20, 2011 16:13

If you buy a vt-22 in good shape, I would do it, it's a great amp.

If you want some distortion on a lower volume, you can try a ts-9-or where are we -
The vt- 22 handles these kinds of pedals very well,so you can play distorted on lower volumes

If you play really loud,let's say 50 plus Watts, you might have some more distortion with 2 tubes removed, not that much though. Give it a try, experience is the best advice.

Concerning the attenuator, I don't know. Never tried it.
Maybe you can consult a local technician, and there are some nerds floating around here.

Good luck.!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 17:09 by Amsterdamned.

Date: May 20, 2011 17:14

Thanks Amsterdamned! Anyone else's thoughts?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:43

At home I use mainly an old Ampeg jet (15w). I don't believe in attenuators. If you want a distorted sound at home volumes, as Amsterdamned said, keep the amp low and use a pedal.

C

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:53

Date: May 21, 2011 01:20

nankerphlege
Thanks Amsterdamned! Anyone else's thoughts?

Yeah, Attenuator's make any amp sound dead, like there's a blanket drawn over the speakers. So, I just don't think they should be used at all.

Concerning the VT-22: if you pull two power tubes, it will still be as loud as with 4 tubes, only the headroom will be less. A drawback is that it will eat the remaining two tubes like crazy, and it will put such strain on the ouput transformer that it will run out in a year. And when it runs out, it will blow all caps as well. A $1000 repair bill.

Mathijs

Date: May 21, 2011 10:43

Yep,it's just like cocaine, nothing to do on a daily basis.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: May 21, 2011 11:17

In my opinion it would be great if Keef plays his Washburn thru this Behringer amp, but hey, that's just me:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home