Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You're Too Much
Date: May 13, 2011 16:29

They should finish up this one, imo.

Re: You're Too Much
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 13, 2011 16:52

Agreed. I suspect one of the reasons it was left off Dirty Work was because of Sleep Tonight. Both are superb, IMO. Maybe Keith could polish it off for a 'Wino's' album.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2011 21:39

Finish it, hell. The problem with Dirty Work is that it's overdone, as if feeding the turd through every modern digitizer would polish it to a superior shine. I think that's why people prefer the Stones live now.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:30

It's the album of the pinch-hitters. I presume it was CBS's doing, but there was definitely a concept of types of songs they were aiming for with alternates prepared. It's easy to imagine "Strictly Memphis" in place of "Harlem Shuffle" or "She Never Listens To Me" in place of "Too Rude," but the big one was the closing ballad where "Sleep Tonight" could have been replaced by "You're Too Much" or "What Am I Gonna Do (With Your Love)?" quite easily. By the same token, you can't imagine two or more of those songs appearing on the same album because they are too similar stylistically.

Bobby Keyes is supposed to be playing on "You're Too Much," but I can never pick him out on the circulating version. If anyone else can spot him and tell me when he comes in, I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2011 05:40

There's an alternate (but lesser known) take with a very prominent sax part all the way through it, Rocky...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 16, 2011 21:02

I've never heard that one. I'll have to keep checking all I ever find is the common version or an edit of it. Thanks, Gazza.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home