Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: John Lennon's Jukebox
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 16, 2011 04:39

I don't think this has ever been discussed here. I myself was unaware of it until yesterday when I was reading about Len Barry's 1965 hit "1-2-3" and learned that it was included on a 2004 CD called John Lennon's Jukebox, based on the records found in the portable jukebox John Lennon bought in 1965, stocked with 40 of his favorite 45s, and took with him on tour.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-16 05:16 by tatters.

Re: OT: John Lennon's Jukebox
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 16, 2011 04:44

Date: May 16, 2011 04:48

Interesting selection of tracks. The 50s rock and roll is no surprise, but I wouldn't have expected to find so many Motown and other soul records, and so little material by other British Invasion artists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-16 04:49 by tatters.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 16, 2011 04:54

tatters
Interesting selection of tracks. The 50s rock and roll is no surprise, but I wouldn't have expected to find so many Motown and other soul records, and so little material by other British Invasion artists.

Wasn't that pretty much what Mick & Keith were into at that time as well ?

Date: May 16, 2011 05:00

Edith Grove
tatters

Wasn't that pretty much what Mick & Keith were into at that time as well ?

Yeah, this was probably the stuff he listened to purely for pleasure. This wasn't the music he would have listened to in order to keep current with what "the competition" was up to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-16 05:13 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 16, 2011 06:52

Interesting to note the originals of several commonly played Beatles songs like Twist and Shout and Money. Some other great stuff from Larry Williams, with Bad Boy, and The Beatles top his version for sure. Some things missing that would have been cool like Mohair Sam, I love that scene on Anthology where George is talking about the ride they took to Elvis' pad getting stoned and that Elvis had Mohair Sam on the jukebox the entire time they were there repeating the song over and over again. The Lennon estate has one of the finest collections of Beatles memorabilia, with tons of vinyl. Would love to see it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 16, 2011 08:34

He had good taste in music Lennon (of course)... Bring it on home with Animals and Positively 4th street with Dylan (first item I bought from Dylan in -65)..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 16, 2011 13:05

Just to change tack,I read an artical years ago.It was a n interview with Keith,he was extolling the HI FI unit he takes on tour.It was custom built by Uher,a German company.Came in a flight case including turntable and room for his vinyl.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 16, 2011 14:38

Wow - pretty big iPod!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 16, 2011 14:40

I would love to get a vintage jukebox! Love to, but alas living in Asia makes it difficult.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 16, 2011 18:31

I loved this program - it's hard to find; don't think it's on DVD and it hasn't been rebroadcast in years that I'm aware of.

There were memorable interviews with some of the artists whose records Lennon had on his jukebox, including Jon Sebastian and Bobby Parker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home