Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
kings of leon?
Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 00:24

so most of you know the newer band kings of leon? they have kinda turned into a pop alternative rock sensation, but check out this stuff from their first album. good ole rock n roll.

Re: kings of leon?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 5, 2011 00:26

i've been a little disheartened that the KOL have been as successful as they have - saw them open for dylan a few years back and it was some of the most pain i've been subjected to in my life. maybe i've just had a mostly pain-free existence, but still.....

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 5, 2011 00:28

Overrated!!!!!

Christian boys from Suck City, USA

Date: May 5, 2011 00:28

so you used to be a fan?

Date: May 5, 2011 00:30

come on man? the newer stuff i will admit, isnt amazing and it is overrated, but take a listen to this stuff

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 5, 2011 01:36

Love this band. Love the first two albums, and each of the following albums, including the latest (which strangely enough I puled off the shelf this morning for the ride into work), have grown on my quite a bit. KOL are the real deal, an old fashioned rock and roll band. I think when they toured with U2 they got a bit hooked on digital delay, but that's ok... bands evolve... Love Caleb's voice, and like this group a lot. Their image puts them on the cover of magazines a lot, but they are genuine, imo. Glad to see a fellow appreciator.

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: May 5, 2011 01:53

Too much rock.

Not enought Roll...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2011 02:00

The guy from KOL gets the award for the most useless dumbass commentary on the Exile DVD.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 5, 2011 02:38

If you want to hear the KOL do a credible Stones tribute check out Dusty on their first album which sounds like an authentic Beggars Banquet outtake.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 5, 2011 02:47

I have no respect for a band that walks off stage because they are afriad of pigeon poop.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 03:01

These cats suck something nasty.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 5, 2011 03:03

I don't care for them. Lousy knock-offs of multiple bands, boring music. Most of my friends like them, and believe me I TRIED - but they're simply mediocre.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 03:16

Their first two albums were great. After that is was a slow slide into the psuedo Indie rock to grab a bigger audience. Their new stuff is abyssmal.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 5, 2011 03:26

Haha, it is funny to see folks get so huffy over this group... If it sounds good, it is good, is the way I see it. Some like 'em, some don't. And that's ok! smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2011 03:28

Generic fluff.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 5, 2011 03:40

I don't really get too huffy over them Tate. If you like 'em more power to you. They just don't do it for me. At all. I admit they have the odd catchy song, but so did Herman's Hermits and Oasis. Doesn't make them a great band. Incidentally I live close to at least a couple of them here in Nashville. A few of my friends have run into them around town, though I never have.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: May 5, 2011 04:53

I borrowed one of their first cds from a friend, in his attempt to turn me on to them. It worked. Sounded like The Kinks crossed with Bob Marley's voice. So I bought the new one (last one with all the hits) on vinyl when it came out. Pop fluff. A few catchy tunes, but they're gone.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 05:28

I am with the people who like their earlier stuff. Their first two albums, especially the first one youth and young manhood is just great straight forward rock n roll. After that they became more and more pop sounding and lame as far as im concerned. But early KOL even through because of the times cd was pretty good. Wish they would get back to basics.

Posted by: OpenGspot ()
Date: May 5, 2011 06:06

Yeah these guys flat out f-ing rock it. Granted they're a bit inconsistent, but when they're hitting it, it's rocking. They've got quite a way to go before they can really be mentioned in the same breath as the Stones, but their first 8 years are pretty impressive. If you can't hear the urgency and back to the roots rhythm that also marked the early Stones, you're not listening to the right KOL songs. The interesting part will be to see what they're able to produce in their "peak" years - they're coming up on the same period where the Stones knocked out their big four - doubtful they'll make anything nearly as good. But, it will be interesting to see.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 5, 2011 06:17

I liked the KOL dude's commentary on the Exile DVD.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2011 07:23

Wry Cooter

What did you like about it? I'm just curious. It seemed to me he just said the same thing over and over again and didn't have any particular insight whatsoever except his rather obvious point about the album mixing sacred and profane themes, and even that he didn't express particularly well.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 5, 2011 12:04

I'm another who likes their early stuff better than their more mainstream/commercial recent offerings. Love these...

Posted by: crossfire deux ()
Date: May 5, 2011 14:45

Red Morning Light has real, rock, rootsy feel. Back Down South and Manhattan are also on this man's Ipod.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 5, 2011 21:55

He struck me as sincere, ingenuous, Communicating the effect of "Devil's" music on a Southerner washed in the blood, as well as a fledgling musician. Perhaps it is a dialectic expressed more eloquently elsewhere, but I found it true -- maybe because I lived in the South a bit or because it is a feeling I know well. And I don't think it would be that "obvious" a point for every watcher of the DVD -- but many obvious points are stated again and again and can work well -- like "I dig that girl!"

Anyway, I understand it didn't work for you.

71Tele
Wry Cooter

What did you like about it? I'm just curious. It seemed to me he just said the same thing over and over again and didn't have any particular insight whatsoever except his rather obvious point about the album mixing sacred and profane themes, and even that he didn't express particularly well.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 5, 2011 21:58

I don't get how the guy sings... It took me for ever to find out he was saying "Your sex is on fire"... on that big hit song of theirs. I know when Jagger sings its very mush mouthed but when people like him to it its cool. This guy sounds like he has a speech impediment. it sound like "Thikksshh Shheekksss Issskh on fire"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-05 21:59 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 5, 2011 22:05

I love Crawl...

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: May 5, 2011 22:12

theimposter
I don't care for them. Lousy knock-offs of multiple bands, boring music. Most of my friends like them, and believe me I TRIED - but they're simply mediocre.

At this point, isn't mostly everybody a knock-off of somebody else?

I'm not a fan of KOL, though do acknowledge that I've heard some of their earlier stuff and think it's more listenable than their newer stuff.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 5, 2011 22:12

First two albums are brilliant...gone too poppy for me since.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: May 5, 2011 23:03

I love the first 2 albums,the 3rd not so much,the 4th album the 1 with sex on fire is a bit too mass market,not an awful album just a bit formulated.
The current album,got some poor revues so I left it alone.
A few weeks after it came out,saw it advertised at £5.99 deluxe2cd issue ,so I got,and it's a better album than 3 or 4, I think they got caught between styles and who to please their newer fans from the latter 2 albums and the older fans from the first 2,I think personally it's more like the first two.
Anyway I suppose you please yourself what you like ,you pays your money after all,each to their own I suppose.
I'm not good at album titles,so don't expect me to know what they are called,the only album titles I remember are by The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan.

Looked up the titles and they are

1 Youth and Young Manhood
2 Aha Shake Heartbreak
3 Because Of These Times
4 Only By The Night
5 Come Around Sundown.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: May 5, 2011 23:54

horrible!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1393
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home