Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
If you do love Goddess in the doorway, thank's to write just a word here ...
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: April 16, 2011 22:41

My word : PARADISE. The others, go f... y.. and, Keith, you have to listen to Goddess again, 'cause you could love it, really ... everyone to whom I offered the book, loved it ...

Re: If you do love Goddess in the doorway, thank's to write just a word here ...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2011 22:49

I don't hate it as much as a lot of people do, but it is no Primitive Cool (ok I am mocking), I meant no Wandering Spirit!

Re: If you do love Goddess in the doorway, thank's to write just a word here ...
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: April 16, 2011 23:00

the "cd", of course (but it's as good as some great books, isn't it ?) Lyrics are great and, the voice is not a voice, it's Mick...

Date: April 16, 2011 23:05

Some decent tracks (Lucky Day, Don't Call Me Up, Too Far Gone). The rest is ok or mediocre, imo. Maybe with the exception of Dancing In Thee Starlight.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 16, 2011 23:24

The only tracks I listen to: "Don't Call Me Up" and "Gun." "Everybody's Getting High" gets a mention but I roll my eyes halfway through it.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 17, 2011 02:30

I liked some more than others, of course but overall thought it was a great album.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 17, 2011 02:48

I like "Dancing in the Starlight," "Hide Away," and "Too Far Gone" the best on this album.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 17, 2011 03:37

Shezeboss
My word : PARADISE. The others, go f... y..

a sweet sentiment, indeed...

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 17, 2011 04:38

Everyone seems to like "Don't Call me up". That's also the one that was on the Best of Mick Jagger.

For my money 'Brand new set of rules" is a better ballad with better lyrics.

I like a lot of Goddess actually. I think its a pretty solid effort from Mick.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: April 17, 2011 05:01

I like most of the album, but a few songs are sub-par.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 17, 2011 05:22

not a bad album at least mick keeps busy between stones projects unlike keith who just waits for a phone call

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 17, 2011 07:23

Actually love Visions of Paradise right through Don't Call Me Up. From the title track thru Gun is total crap to me. Too Far Gone, and Brand New Set of Rules ends the album on a high note. Never understood why everyone bashes this album. Lyrically this is much better album than ABB. I also think it is much more autobiograhical than even the Mick would like to admit. Most of the songs are about the break up with Jerry Hall. I have also always thought he was more sincere in the lyrics about looking for redemption, getting older etc.
Yeah it's not stonsey like Wandering Spirit, but I still think it blows She's the Boss, and Primitive Cool out of the water.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 17, 2011 07:46

Wandering Spirit still ranks as #1 to me.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 17, 2011 09:06

Bashlets
Actually love Visions of Paradise right through Don't Call Me Up. From the title track thru Gun is total crap to me. Too Far Gone, and Brand New Set of Rules ends the album on a high note. Never understood why everyone bashes this album. Lyrically this is much better album than ABB. I also think it is much more autobiograhical than even the Mick would like to admit. Most of the songs are about the break up with Jerry Hall. I have also always thought he was more sincere in the lyrics about looking for redemption, getting older etc.
Yeah it's not stonsey like Wandering Spirit, but I still think it blows She's the Boss, and Primitive Cool out of the water.

Yes, it comes off much more personal and sincere than the awful forced song 'Biggest Mistake'. So annoying to read Keith trying to pass that off as Mick really being in touch with his feelings and revealing a bit of his guarded self. The songs on Goddess are more natural that that.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 17, 2011 09:20

Even if the album is not produced well, it has some good songs, I listen to it from time to time.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 17, 2011 10:59

I like it, but the song I listen to most is only on the Japanese release of the album: IF THINGS COULD BE DIFFERENT.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2011 16:57

Title5Take1
I like it, but the song I listen to most is only on the Japanese release of the album: IF THINGS COULD BE DIFFERENT.

Hmmm...never heard that track. If things could be different, they'd quit adding one extra song on Japanese albums ONLY!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 17, 2011 17:01

treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Hmmm...never heard that track. If things could be different, they'd quit adding one extra song on Japanese albums ONLY!
That's a great track actually. You should get hold of it. Worth the effort.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 17, 2011 17:14

treaclefingers
Title5Take1

It's also the U.K. CD single Visions of Paradise along with a track called Blue, and on an Australian import of CD single Visions of Paradise which I got from 'Key mailorder' in Croydon, England a couple of years ago - reasonable price too - the Australian version has also got different mixes of Visions of Paradise - extended Sensual remix and God gave me everything - Dan the Automator - extended remix, they may still have copies, you never know....

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 17, 2011 17:26

Five stars in Rolling Stone. Nuff said.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 17, 2011 18:37

Crap

Date: April 17, 2011 19:10

"If things could be different" is a very good track. I like the album just fine.
My fave is "Dancing in the Starlight". I think that is a great Jagger song. And the two closing ballads; )similar to the end of "Babylon".)
I also love "Gun"; at about :40 seconds that snare starts fading in; great dance track.
Jagger is really good with verses, but in latter years his chorus-es come on as a little forced. Take "Don't Call Me Up", "Don't Tear Me Up" and "Already over Me" and they are virtually interchangable.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 17, 2011 19:41

I think I enjoy the mostly brilliant 'Being Mick' documentary to the actual album to be honest, though it has it's moments.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 17, 2011 23:59

Anyone know the story behind the funny ending of the album? Sounds like it was recorded in a hotel bar or something.

Edited to add: Ditto on kudos for "If Things Had Been Different". Seems to be addressed to Jerry maybe? Has one of his most personal lyrics:

If things had been different
All of my children would look just like you

(paraphrased from memory here)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-18 00:01 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 18, 2011 00:20

KRiffhard
Crap

somewhat listen-able ... but yes, basically crap

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 18, 2011 01:14

Wandering Spirit caught Mick in a whirl of inspiriation. Goddess in the Doorway does get an 'A' for effort, there are some traces of cheese on it, but not enough for me to loathe it like a lot of She's the Boss and almost all of Primitive Cool (shudder shudder).

The songwriting on Goddess isn't that bad in my opinion, it's cheesieness is more from the arrangements and dated production that weighs it down.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 18, 2011 02:03

Mick maybe didn't take enough control of the production of Goddess but as a collection, it's very good. Sure, there are weak track, but as an entire piece, I love it. Like I always say, those that bash it, haven't really listened to it or are just biased against MIck's solo work...you know who you are.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 18, 2011 02:09

Actually I don't listen to their solo records anymore, although I did like Wandering Spirit when it came out

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:48

Never listens to it but 'Alfie' rolls from time to time...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:29

No problem with that..I love the album, not my favoritt, but still a decent good one, Micks second best solo album,
but the picture on the cover ? I think Mick looks very young again ! The man can't be over his 30 ties !

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home