Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones Should Play More Chuck Berry Songs
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 29, 2010 16:29

whitem8
Well there is a bit between Chuck and Keith...Chuck was might pissed that Keith testified for Johnny Johnson, and Keith didn't feel too good about what he thought as Chuck taking advantage of Johnny by not giving co-writing credits (funny! Reminds me of another guy that didn't get credits)...and since that trial they haven't performed much Chuck, I know they did Little Queenie at the Double Door gig in Chicago, but nothing since then if I am not mistaken.

Mick Taylor has nothing - at all - to do with the success of The Rolling Stones, unlike Johnnie Johnson with Chuck Berry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-29 16:32 by skipstone.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 29, 2010 19:27

skipstone
whitem8

Mick Taylor has nothing - at all - to do with the success of The Rolling Stones, unlike Johnnie Johnson with Chuck Berry.

Correct.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: August 29, 2010 20:50

'Dear Dad' would defenitly be something to play! thumbs up

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 29, 2010 21:14

I would like to see them take a crack at Tulane, one of Chucks last great songs in my opinion, but really they have such a canon of their own outstanding material that is yet to be played live, that covers should be the exception not the norm.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 29, 2010 21:36

Max Volume!!!
Bye, Bye Johnny just SMOKES

Good god yes! They ripped the hell out of that number at Madison Square Garden.

Date: August 29, 2010 21:49

Carnaby
CBII
Edith Grove
Quite honestly, I'd rather hear more Chuck Berry covers than some of their most recent choices for covers.

Ouch!

Hi CB. CBII, have to ask you- How are you with the Duck Walk?

If your asking if I can do it, yes fairly well. However, I'm usually wearing Converse Chuck Taylor sneakers, way too much friction to pull it off on stage. If you mean my opinion of it as part of my dad's act, it worked the first time out and the fans loved it so go for it.

He has not done the 'DUCK WALK' in some time, I think it hurts his knees too much. What he does still do is the 'Scoot' which is the one leg out, other bent and scooting forward. Everybody has some type of gimmick. Jerry Lee Lewis destroying a piano, The Who destroying ALL their equipment etc...

Live entertainment is half music ability and half stage antics / showmanship. Micks boa's, Keith's cigarettes, Dylan's zombie like stance o stage.

CBII

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: August 29, 2010 21:50

Well the one song the Stones should defenitly play on their last tour is their first single Come On, but more as Chuck actually recorded it, yes with horns and Jagger in duet with Lisa Fisher (as Chuck sang it with his wife), they'll break the house down i'm sure.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 29, 2010 22:35

CBII
Max Volume!!!
Bye, Bye Johnny just SMOKES

Good god yes! They ripped the hell out of that number at Madison Square Garden.

i've always maintained that the two highlights, night in and night out, on the '72 tour (their best, imo) were YCAGWYW and BBJ....they've never done berry better....

Date: August 29, 2010 23:00

whitem8
Well there is a bit between Chuck and Keith...Chuck was might pissed that Keith testified for Johnny Johnson, and Keith didn't feel too good about what he thought as Chuck taking advantage of Johnny by not giving co-writing credits (funny! Reminds me of another guy that didn't get credits)...and since that trial they haven't performed much Chuck, I know they did Little Queenie at the Double Door gig in Chicago, but nothing since then if I am not mistaken.

Whoa! Let's replay that one. 'Pissed' is certainly the wrong word to describe what dad's opinion was. Astonished and amazed are terms more fitting. We all were blown away when that law suit came about and had every confidence who would prevail. Keith's comments in Hail! Hail! Rock N Roll started all that speculation. Someone (not Keith) with a bankroll heard Keith's words and ran with it. These guys were REAL friends and it's unfortunate to have had some of the few whispering in his ear about this or that. The real vindication my father received was not when the suit was thrown out of court but when Johnny sat in at a show at Blueberry Hill here in Saint Louis. All he wanted to do was to play music with one of his oldest friends again. I was there and had the honor of playing on the same stage with him and my father. If I remember correctly, Johnny passed away within six months of that show.

As to my dad and Keith's relationship, dad holds nothing against him. We know the real dynamics of how that law suit started. I just provided a snippet of the back story to that part of time none of you are aware of. Keith did what he did on the information supplied to him, and what he assumed to be fact not on any direct knowledge of what actually transpired (how could he, he was not there). In my opinion a mistake on his part. We all still have a great deal of respect for Keith including my father. Johnny did deserve his place in the Rock n Roll Hall of fame and Keith's efforts is what helped him get there. My dad also wrote something to assist Johnny take his place on the hallowed ground.

The one infamous scene in Hail! Hail! Rock N Roll did exactly what it was supposed to do, get you on the edge of your seat looking for that first drop of blood. Taylor Hackford executed his directorial task brilliantly. No question, there was an issue with the sound guys messing with dad's amp. Here's the twist, it was in fact his amp, in his studio, on his farm, playing music he wrote and in a movie being made about him. Just how many people are going to tolerate someone telling them, you're playing your music wrong? Kinda makes a person wonder huh? There's been famously documented disagreements between Mick and Keith however, at the end of the day, the fence is mended and they kept right on making music and money.

As to not playing my dad's music anymore that's up to the Rolling Stones. This is not the first thread on IORR or for that matter other places that have suggested they play more of his music. No other band can get essence of dad's music like them.

Even if Keith has blocked playing my dad's songs on stage, he's still doing it nearly every time he picks his guitar up and starts playing it. They don't need to play anyone else's music, there's PLENTY of their own to entertain us. I certainly would not be mad if they DID play dad's stuff live.

CBII

Date: August 29, 2010 23:02

behroez
Well the one song the Stones should defenitly play on their last tour is their first single Come On, but more as Chuck actually recorded it, yes with horns and Jagger in duet with Lisa Fisher (as Chuck sang it with his wife), they'll break the house down i'm sure.

The female singer was not my mom. It was either my aunt Lucy or Etta James.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 29, 2010 23:06

CBII
behroez

has Ingrid been featured on any recordings?
she was great in H!H!RnR.

Date: August 29, 2010 23:09

CBII
whitem8

Whoa! Let's replay that one. 'Pissed' is certainly the wrong word to describe what dad's opinion was. Astonished and amazed are terms more fitting. We all were blown away when that law suit came about and had every confidence who would prevail. Keith's comments in Hail! Hail! Rock N Roll started all that speculation. Someone (not Keith) with a bankroll heard Keith's words and ran with it. These guys were REAL friends and it's unfortunate to have had some of the few whispering in his ear about this or that. The real vindication my father received was not when the suit was thrown out of court but when Johnny sat in at a show at Blueberry Hill here in Saint Louis. All he wanted to do was to play music with one of his oldest friends again. I was there and had the honor of playing on the same stage with him and my father. If I remember correctly, Johnny passed away within six months of that show.

As to my dad and Keith's relationship, dad holds nothing against him. We know the real dynamics of how that law suit started. I just provided a snippet of the back story to that part of time none of you are aware of. Keith did what he did on the information supplied to him, and what he assumed to be fact not on any direct knowledge of what actually transpired (how could he, he was not there). In my opinion a mistake on his part. We all still have a great deal of respect for Keith including my father. Johnny did deserve his place in the Rock n Roll Hall of fame and Keith's efforts is what helped him get there. My dad also wrote something to assist Johnny take his place on the hallowed ground.

The one infamous scene in Hail! Hail! Rock N Roll did exactly what it was supposed to do, get you on the edge of your seat looking for that first drop of blood. Taylor Hackford executed his directorial task brilliantly. No question, there was an issue with the sound guys messing with dad's amp. Here's the twist, it was in fact his amp, in his studio, on his farm, playing music he wrote and in a movie being made about him. Just how many people are going to tolerate someone telling them, you're playing your music wrong? Kinda makes a person wonder huh? There's been famously documented disagreements between Mick and Keith however, at the end of the day, the fence is mended and they kept right on making music and money.

As to not playing my dad's music anymore that's up to the Rolling Stones. This is not the first thread on IORR or for that matter other places that have suggested they play more of his music. No other band can get essence of dad's music like them.

Even if Keith has blocked playing my dad's songs on stage, he's still doing it nearly every time he picks his guitar up and starts playing it. They don't need to play anyone else's music, there's PLENTY of their own to entertain us. I certainly would not be mad if they DID play dad's stuff live.

thanks for the informative post, cbii. personally, i can't help but believe the issue has everything (or at least something) to do with why they've stopped playing your dad's songs (and, yeah, ain't it funny that basically keith plays your dad on practically every lead he plays nowadays? the timing here is too coincidental for me to believe it doesn't have something to do with it.

Date: August 29, 2010 23:13

Amused
CBII
behroez

has Ingrid been featured on any recordings?
she was great in H!H!RnR.

Ingrid appears on the albums 'Chuck Berry' and 'Rockit' if I remember right.

Date: August 29, 2010 23:17

StonesTod
CBII
whitem8

thanks for the informative post, cbii. personally, i can't help but believe the issue has everything (or at least something) to do with why they've stopped playing your dad's songs (and, yeah, ain't it funny that basically keith plays your dad on practically every lead he plays nowadays? the timing here is too coincidental for me to believe it doesn't have something to do with it.

It could have everything to do with it. Like I said though, he's doing it anyway. The best tributes don't always come in the form of monetary compensation.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 29, 2010 23:22

whitem8

They played it at almost every show on the 1997-98 tour.

It was omitted at a few shows that were being broadcast. I read at the time (not sure if its true, because its quite evident from CBII's posts on here that there are a few misconceptions about Stones/Chuck disagreements being peddled as 'facts') that the reason was that they considered Chuck's demand for royalties for broadcasted performances of his songs to be excessive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-29 23:23 by Gazza.

Date: August 29, 2010 23:26

CBII
StonesTod
CBII
whitem8

It could have everything to do with it. Like I said though, he's doing it anyway. The best tributes don't always come in the form of monetary compensation.

haha - well, he maybe but "doing it anyway" cos keith has over time basically turned into: "plug me in and i play chuck berry licks" - no matter what the song - queenie, brown sugar, angie.... ;-)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 29, 2010 23:37

the reason was that they considered Chuck's demand for royalties for broadcasted performances of his songs to be excessive.

Then he is more stupid then I thought he was.

Because of the Stones I know who Chuck Berry is and bought some records of him, he would have made more money commercially if he let them play his songs for free

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 29, 2010 23:37

Gazza

It was omitted at a few shows that were being broadcast. I read at the time (not sure if its true, because its quite evident from CBII's posts on here that there are a few misconceptions about Stones/Chuck disagreements being peddled as 'facts') that the reason was that they considered Chuck's demand for royalties for broadcasted performances of his songs to be excessive.

I quess that is correct but isn't somehow funny that the richest rock and roll band of the world, very much inspired by Chuck Berry in the first place, does not have "afford" to pay royalties for him (even if he would ask a bit more than usual)... Well, that's business, but... really?eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Date: August 29, 2010 23:49

Doxa
Gazza

I quess that is correct but isn't somehow funny that the richest rock and roll band of the world, very much inspired by Chuck Berry in the first place, does not have "afford" to pay royalties for him (even if he would ask a bit more than usual)... Well, that's business, but... really?eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

plus, as cb jr notes, basically keith is "paying tribute" (or ripping him off, a cynic might suggest) by playing his licks everytime he touches his guitar....and, as I recall, IORR was the substitute on the bstage for Queenie...and chuck basically wrote that song without getting any credit for it....

Date: August 30, 2010 01:16

Gazza
whitem8

They played it at almost every show on the 1997-98 tour.

Gazza, I think that too is a HUGE factor in it. Mick is an accountant and is like any good bean counter, trying to maximize profits for the corporation.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2010 01:18

You're too diplomatic.

Date: August 30, 2010 01:20

Gazza
You're too diplomatic.

one can only hope cbii had his tongue pressed so far into his cheek that his profile looked like dizzy gillespie's....

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: August 30, 2010 01:35

Chuck Berry's interview in 2007

(1:50) Who is your favorite guitar player?

There's no favorite. From Keith Richard...

(2:11) How is your relationship with Keith Richard right now?

You know, we weren't angry. We don't get angry with each other. We slap each other's face but we don't get angry with it. Anyway, it's not what you really see at all.

Date: August 30, 2010 01:44

NICOS
the reason was that they considered Chuck's demand for royalties for broadcasted performances of his songs to be excessive.

Then he is more stupid then I thought he was.

Because of the Stones I know who Chuck Berry is and bought some records of him, he would have made more money commercially if he let them play his songs for free

You are speculating on what COULD have happened, let's look at what DID happen. What you consider stupidity is in all actuality what DID in fact happen. Let's not forget, as far my dad is concerned a whole bunch of people did get to play his music for free for a long time. It took quite some time to get the rights back. Like I always like to say, oatmeal is better than no meal.

Are the Rolling Stones and Beatles stupid because the exact same thing happened to them? If I'm not mistaken, both acts were beaten out of a whole bunch of loot. I wonder how Mick and Keith feel when they (or anyone for that matter) play Under My Thumb, Paint It Black or 2000 Light years from home, KNOWING ABKCO is getting the writers royalty every time it's performed? You can bet The Rolling Stones are getting a check when their music is performed by another act on stage and during live broadcasts and it's not cheap.

My turn to speculate and flip the script on you. If it were not for Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Willie Dixon and Chuck Berry you may have never heard of The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Bluesbreakers, Cream, The Yardbirds or any other of the Rock acts that incorporated their predecessors music and style into their own original records.

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 01:47 by CBII.

Date: August 30, 2010 01:48

MAY? MAY????? now, i know that tongue is planted firmly in your cheek.....

Date: August 30, 2010 01:50

Dali

You know, we weren't angry. We don't get angry with each other. We slap each other's face but we don't get angry with it. Anyway, it's not what you really see at all.

Like I was said...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2010 01:58

CBII
Dali

Like I was said...

Like I was said too...........No Rolling Stones No Chuck Berry (for me)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 01:59 by NICOS.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 30, 2010 02:08

Agreed for more but one could dream eye rolling smiley

My all time favorites :

Let it rock - Leeds 1971
Bye Bye Johnny - New York 1972
Down the road apiece - Philadelphia 1981

To play and replay loud winking smiley

HMN

Date: August 30, 2010 02:11

NICOS
CBII
Dali

Like I was said...

Like I was said too...........No Rolling Stones No Chuck Berry (for me)

No worries, no harm, no foul.

CBII

Date: August 30, 2010 05:28

The Stones should play more STONES songs first and foremost. An extra Chuck Berry song or two might be nice but,to me,that would be a secondary priority.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1395
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home