Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
U2 wrests concert gross tour title from Stone
Date: April 8, 2011 23:22

bummer

I don't know the Stones can/will want to get it back

[www.billboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-12 17:48 by bv.

Re: U2 wrests congrest gross tour title from Stones
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 8, 2011 23:28

This is it. Tour will happen.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 8, 2011 23:30

Elvis lost his decades old record of most hits in the top 100 (he had 108).
He lost it to an awful TV show....

So how in the heck is there gonna be peace in the valley now?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2011 23:33

"band manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard. "And to set it with a further 20-plus shows to go on the tour is kind of mind-blowing. It means that it's a record that will probably never be outstripped."

Is this guy @#$%& stoopid?

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 8, 2011 23:35

I saw U2 last year and what a snooze fest that was. Total waste of money.

Re: U2 wrests concert gross tour title from Stones
Date: April 8, 2011 23:36

omg i totally mangled the spelling...guess i couldn't bear to even write it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-08 23:40 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 8, 2011 23:46

Who cares?

Posted by: belld ()
Date: April 9, 2011 00:14

Maximum earners in modern music without playing for many years - Abba. Enough said.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 9, 2011 00:26

71Tele
Who cares?
Well some do it seems but I do not count myself amongst them. What does it matter in the scheme of things who has the highest concert grosses? What matter the most, at least to me, is if I like the band and its music or not...

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 9, 2011 00:32

71Tele
Who cares?
sensitive stones fans? i'm sure colonial will shed a tear over this one.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 9, 2011 00:49

stoned in washington dc
bummer

[www.billboard.com]

'Bummer' ?

Like...this seriously annoys people?

It's the most meaningless 'honour' in music. Its only an ego-exercise attained by playing a lot of shows, charging high prices and is always subject to inflation.

Who bloody cares?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-09 00:50 by Gazza.

Date: April 9, 2011 00:59

belld
Maximum earners in modern music without playing for many years - Abba. Enough said.

ah...Beatles methinks

Date: April 9, 2011 01:02

My whole sense of self-worth was tied up in having my favourite band be the number one concert draw of all time.

What the hell am I going to do now?

I guess I'll just go listen to some music and pretend that is the reason I cared.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: April 9, 2011 01:13

If U2 thinks this somehow puts them in league with the Stones they are gravely mistaken. It's only money honey.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 9, 2011 01:14

I'm glad - maybe the Stones will feel it needs to be beaten... the record I mean.
on the other hand - I'd love to see the Stones doing a small tour - maybe even some shows I can't afford, something I can't see personally, but can hear bootlegs and can see the band still having fun. a small tour these days would be a perfect '@#$%& off' to the music industry winking smiley

Date: April 9, 2011 01:19

AngieBlue
If U2 thinks this somehow puts them in league with the Stones they are gravely mistaken. It's only money honey.

You could turn that argument around on it's head by saying that because its 'only money' it doesnt make ANY band 'better' than anyone else.

I actually welcome it if it means that some people - the Stones included - might finally give more priority to the music instead of a pointless dick-waving contest like this.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: April 9, 2011 01:32

Gazza
AngieBlue

You could turn that argument around on it's head by saying that because its 'only money' it doesnt make ANY band 'better' than anyone else.

I actually welcome it if it means that some people - the Stones included - might finally give more priority to the music instead of a pointless dick-waving contest like this.

Exactly. Music counts first and foremost.

Sadly The Stones have been paying too much attention to the ticket gross. Point taken Gazza.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 9, 2011 01:57

McGuinness could be the worst thing that ever happened to that harmless bunch of friendly chaps named U2. He put greed and crap ideas like "world domination" in their little heads...

No good!

Date: April 9, 2011 02:03

Dont think he's affected their 'harmlessness' as adversely as the Cohl/Jagger 'axis' has the Stones' creativity in the last two decades, though.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 9, 2011 03:08

why is it a bummer? they out grossed the stones kudos to u2, why do people slag u2 they always put out great stuff and have remained intact throughout their career with all original members which IMO is an amazing accomplishment

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 9, 2011 03:11

ChrisM
71Tele
Who cares?
Well some do it seems but I do not count myself amongst them. What does it matter in the scheme of things who has the highest concert grosses? What matter the most, at least to me, is if I like the band and its music or not...

if it doesnt matter then why do the stones always go out of their way to break the record?

Date: April 9, 2011 03:15

..it doesn't 'matter' because you're talking to Chris and not Mick Jagger.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: April 9, 2011 04:33

Let's hope the Stones don't take the bait, because if they do we are in for another massive stadium tour, been there, done that.

Mick's competitiveness has me concerned, but not overly concerned. I think common sense will prevail in the end and we will see a much smaller scale tour compared to ABB beginning in the summer of 2012.

Date: April 9, 2011 04:40

melillo
ChrisM
71Tele
Who cares?

if it doesnt matter then why do the stones always go out of their way to break the record?

Because Mick is a lot more competitive than people realize, however, the good news is that he is no fool.

Date: April 9, 2011 04:50

treaclefingers
My whole sense of self-worth was tied up in having my favourite band be the number one concert draw of all time.

What the hell am I going to do now?

I guess I'll just go listen to some music and pretend that is the reason I cared.>grinning smiley<

I think they still are the number one concert draw of all time, are they not? They have been at it for nearly fifty years.

Date: April 9, 2011 05:26

of course it doesn't "matter"

geez do people get their panties in a bunch..

but I do think its a bummer.. of course it doesn't change my appreciation for their music.. but it could be interpreted to mean they are no longer the biggest band in the world.. and thats a bummer..

not to mention- while I'm not trying to "slag" U2- that I just don't like their music much at all..its not rock and roll the way i like it.. so for a band that doesn't play rock and roll the way I like it (Stones, ACDC, etc.) to be the number one band in the world is a bit saddening...

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 9, 2011 11:37

U2 is the symbol for those between 30 and 45 years old. It is thus not surprising they do better than The Stones in terms of audience. In 5 to 10 years, or maybe sooner, Coldplay will overcome those 2 bands. That's the normal course of life. If you don't write something really new since decades, you shrink.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 9, 2011 13:03

Yeah the Stones should go out, play for 20 minutes and charge $2000 a ticket and get the record back. After all it's about money not music.....

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 9, 2011 14:13

Gazza
stoned in washington dc
bummer

[www.billboard.com]

'Bummer' ?

Like...this seriously annoys people?

It's the most meaningless 'honour' in music. Its only an ego-exercise attained by playing a lot of shows, charging high prices and is always subject to inflation.

Who bloody cares?

It should't really matter to any real fan but deep down inside I think we would all like the Stones to be on top of everything , FOREVER. No it's not going to be but they are still my number 1.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 9, 2011 15:31

Still, Stones will have 4 of the top 10 highest grossing tours, U2 has 2 of them.
If we inflation adjusted the 1981/82 tour and 1989/90 tour they would probably have 6 of the top 12 tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-09 15:44 by mtaylor.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home