Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best Instrumental only version of a Stones song
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 25, 2010 11:27

What songs have The Stones done..of an Instrumental only version with no voice lyrics either their music or someone elses?

Also what Musicians have impressed you most with an Instrumental only version of a Stones song with no voice lyrics?

My favourite recorded Instrumental song is GREEN ONIONS by Booker T & The MGs..the back ground music to American Graffiti.

Re: Best Instrumental only version of a Stones song
Date: August 25, 2010 11:36

2120 Michigan Avenue (Bill´s bass is wonderful on this one)

Stoned (straight blues)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2010 11:48

Tim Ries ------- Moonlight Mile
Lyres ---------- Now I've Got a Witness

ROCKMAN

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 25, 2010 15:39

Harvey Mandel doing Sympathy For The Devil when he comes in with his forth and backwards guitar..

and most of the Tim Ries-stuff is great.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 25, 2010 15:51

electricmud
Harvey Mandel doing Sympathy For The Devil when he comes in with his forth and backwards guitar..

and most of the Tim Ries-stuff is great.

I'm a big Harvey fan but never heard of that one. What album is it on electric?

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 25, 2010 16:14

It`s an lesser known super-session 2LP album "Music From Free Creek" , recorded in 1969 and released in 1973 on Charisma ( In USA on Buddah). There are two more tracks with Harvey. Beside Harvey there were countless great musicians on these session (Clapton, Beck, B.Leadon, L.Ronstadt, D.John, T.Rundgren...), well search for "Music From Free Creek" ...It`s all just session work , just for fun, no special production or mixing, but great listen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-25 16:21 by electricmud.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 25, 2010 16:36

Albatross - Fleetwood Mac
Stones best one is still 2120

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 25, 2010 16:42

I can't remember which bootlegs it's on but there's an instrumental version of 'Yesterday's Papers' (along other instrumental versions) which I prefer to the BtB version complete with not very good lyrics. It would have made an excellent instrumental introduction to the album.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 25, 2010 16:57

colonial

My favourite recorded Instrumental song is GREEN ONIONS by Booker T & The MGs..the back ground music to American Graffiti.

WTF??

Yeah, I know Lucas used it...but I'd never think of that track--featuring original MG bassist Lewis Steinberg rather than Duck Dunn--as film music, just like I don't think of all those Stones tracks as background music to Scorcese movies. Since it's release, "Green Onions" has been part of the soundtrack to people's lives.

As far as best instrumental Stones song, I like the (bootleg ) instrumental versions of those Exile bonus tracks. And the version of "Dance" sans vocals that Keith preferred and clashed with Mick over did finally come out as the flip of a 12" promo single.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2010 18:10

Are you looking for a 'real instrumental song' or just a version of a song where the lyrics were removed, or not yet added.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 25, 2010 18:54

If you mean just "without lyrics" and not "never had any lyrics", then I'll vote for the instrumental-only outtakes of Ruby Tuesday and Let It Loose.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 15:09

Rockman
Tim Ries ------- Moonlight Mile
Lyres ---------- Now I've Got a Witness

Yes, I'd have to say that Tim Ries' Rolling Stones Project CDs are really superb, and I'm not a big jazz fan.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 20:56

I remember listening to "Rip This Joint" with only Nicky & Charlie, fabulous, in those stereo systems that a had a "Karaoke" button, on many tracks it would bring instruments to the front that were hard to appreciate otherwise.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 26, 2010 20:58

DandelionPowderman
2120 Michigan Avenue (Bill´s bass is wonderful on this one)

Stoned (straight blues)

2120 SMA .... each time every time. Killer instrumental.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 2, 2011 20:28

colonial
What songs have The Stones done..of an Instrumental only version with no voice lyrics either their music or someone elses?

Also what Musicians have impressed you most with an Instrumental only version of a Stones song with no voice lyrics?

My favourite recorded Instrumental song is by Booker T & The MGs..the back ground music to American Graffiti.
Booker T.& The MG's (1992) induction into "The Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame".Keith played GREEN ONIONS.I just seen it for the first time last night after watching it on "The Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame" (DVD 25 years Live) 9 disc.. I just brought it and its a really enjoyable DVD to watch it cost $100-

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 2, 2011 21:58

"Separately", a GHS outtake, is brilliant. Kind of jazzy.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 2, 2011 22:03

Bitch - Herbie Mann.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home