Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger a Gifted Genius..
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 26, 2010 09:37

Quite often when people talk about Brian Jones they say he was a gifted Genius and thats very true.But Mick Jagger is also..very much so in more ways than one.A Genius not only for his gifted talent for songwriting and singing.But also to take a struggling Band in the early 60's to get it..to where it is today nearly 50 years on.
Now you must agree not just anyone could do that.And of course Mick couldn't of done it without Keith..Charlie..Bill and Ronnie.

Re: Mick Jagger a Gifted Genius..
Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:01

colonial
Quite often when people talk about Brian Jones they say he was a gifted Genius and thats very true.But Mick Jagger is also..very much so in more ways than one.A Genius not only for his gifted talent for songwriting and singing.But also to take a struggling Band in the early 60's to get it..to where it is today nearly 50 years on.
Now you must agree not just anyone could do that.And of course Mick couldn't of done it without Keith..Charlie..Bill and Ronnie.

When you get the chance to think through what you just wrote properly, I'm sure you'll agree that keeping the band together has not just been one man's work. Keith was crucial in the studio even from the very first years. And he's been a driving force in keeping the spirits up, writing some of their finest and most famous songs and in NOT compromising when it comes to certain important happenings in the band history.
And Mick has - at times - been more interrested in pursuing his own solo career than in touring and recording with the Stones. This has upset the others, and Keith in particular. Then he's opened his mouth, said harsh stuff at times, and made Mick realise that they're so much stronger and successfull together than they are on their own.
Please don't underestimate that, Colonial. (I'm sure you don't - you seem like a true fan with a lot of knowledge.)

Date: August 26, 2010 11:49

Addicted
colonial

When you get the chance to think through what you just wrote properly, I'm sure you'll agree that keeping the band together has not just been one man's work. Keith was crucial in the studio even from the very first years. And he's been a driving force in keeping the spirits up, writing some of their finest and most famous songs and in NOT compromising when it comes to certain important happenings in the band history.
And Mick has - at times - been more interrested in pursuing his own solo career than in touring and recording with the Stones. This has upset the others, and Keith in particular. Then he's opened his mouth, said harsh stuff at times, and made Mick realise that they're so much stronger and successfull together than they are on their own.
Please don't underestimate that, Colonial. (I'm sure you don't - you seem like a true fan with a lot of knowledge.)

Addicted..yea' I know what ya' mean ..cheers mate..smiling smiley lol

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:51

Mick for sure is the genius, not only for songwriting and singing. first of all he is great performer, and the one who changed the whole concept about the significance of male sexuality in popular culture.I'd say he is Andy Warhol of performing arts
keeping the band together that's not the point

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 26, 2010 16:02

Addicted
colonial

they are/have been equally prodigious in their musical contributions over the years...hard to discern one from the other in terms of who wrote more/better/or who was a driving nurturing force thats why they are a successful partnership

I think you underestimate the power of a 7 year heroin addiction and the brutal effect it may have had on just about everything concerning their lives relationships, families finances artistic integrity whatever. I mean really...have you ever tried to reason with a drug addict or someone drunk out of their mind?...even if he was "elegantly wasted" (bull)...he still had his head in a toilet bowl 50% of the time..as did the others with their own "issues".

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 26, 2010 16:05

colonial

Yes Mick is a genius, especially with a background in economics, but dont' forget they got so caught up in their music & trusted the wrong person; they were being ripped off by Klein, he pulled the wool right over the whole bands' eyes.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 16:06 by marchbaby.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 26, 2010 16:09

proudmary
Mick for sure is the genius, not only for songwriting and singing. first of all he is great performer, and the one who changed the whole concept about the significance of male sexuality in popular culture.I'd say he is Andy Warhol of performing arts
keeping the band together that's not the point

KR early influence and signature sound were/are a revelation but I think you are right that jaggers legacy will be felt longer because of his take/influence/acceptance in changing the rules of male sexuality and pop culture...jaggers love/hate relationship with fans is more visceral....hard to hate KR...which means Jagger stirs more up in people's minds.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2010 23:07

Mick is an incredible lyricist and performer. I think he appropriated a lot of what he saw. Where Brian can't get much love is that he was the sartorial wonder in the band first. Mick looks like a yuppie compared to the early Stones with Brian. And Brian was the first to openly wear what was considered feminine at the time, with scarves and necklaces. He was the ambisexual dandy with a hint of danger before Jagger considered it. Look at some of those crazy glances Brian would give TV cameras on stage. You didn't know if that was put on or not, and the suspicion that it was not gave a darker edge to the band. This is not to say one was a bigger genius than the other, just different. It still blows my mind that these people found each other, much like John and Paul and George united.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 26, 2010 23:26

Listening to PMS I think Mick is the best of (Stones) rest!

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: August 26, 2010 23:34

there were many geniuses from the '60's and '70's rock era. Lennon, Jagger, Rundgren, Zappa, Brian Wilson, just to name a few. might be hundreds.

today's music has few, if any. and it shows in their music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 23:37 by josepi.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 27, 2010 00:02

He is certainly an underrated/undervalued musician. I love it when he plays guitar, harp, piano, bass. He is a true musician and I don't think many people realize that because he has been so successful as a vocalist/frontman.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 27, 2010 02:13

we should all be glad he was not a genius at economics... might also be the reason he stuck with the band so long.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 27, 2010 02:23

71Tele
He is certainly an underrated/undervalued musician. I love it when he plays guitar, harp, piano, bass. He is a true musician and I don't think many people realize that because he has been so successful as a vocalist/frontman.

Very true. His sense of timing and phrasing is impeccable in everything he does. But when you say "Mick Jagger", the first things that come to mind for the average person is Mick's dancing and swagger. A true entertainer, for sure.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 27, 2010 03:01

jagger,the best front man of rock-roll and keeping the band together,it was keith who started going to play live around 1974 with ronnie,before jagger started his solo,i belive 1986.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:02

Mick is a genius. Highly intelligent, articulate and a great businessman. A brillaint songwriter and the greatest front man ever!!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 27, 2010 10:59

Addicted
colonial

Keith did the solo thing before Mick did with the New Barbarians. Only difference between the two and their solo tours... Keith was far more threatened at the idea of Mick as a Solo Act than vice-versa.

I also disgree with you from the other side. I would say that the critical reception of Talk Is Cheap made Mick realize that working again with Keith would be better than not, as opposed to any harsh words in the paper Keith would have said about Mick (and Keith was MUCH more vocal about it. I remember those days.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 27, 2010 11:03

josepi

today's music has few, if any. and it shows in their music.

Not true. Those beliefs are what holds the general populace from appreciating music out of the bland commercial mainstream. Good music is there, it just requires digging, and effort, to find.

Not unlike the old days in a way.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2010 15:51

Mick is/was a genius and is somewhat overlooked. You think rock singer and Mick Jagger comes to mind even for people who do not like the Stones. Mick's true genius is how he picked up on things. He saw Lennon/McCartney bang out I Wanna Be Your Man and said to Keith we need to do that, his interpretation of James Brown and others on stage. he picked up on all of that and created his own persona. Without rambling Mick Jagger took a band that was different and blues based and because of his charisma and persona made them "commercial" without sacrificing the music. the Stones have some "early pop" songs but they were/are a rock band. Because of them other bands emereged that perhaps would not have if it had not been for Mick Jagger. He also had a lot of help from fellow band mates and Andrew Oldham along the way. His partnership with Keith is genius. The ability to pick up on musical fads without losing the identity its all there. Mick is the complete package. That said I'll still take Keith as my favorite band member!!!

Date: August 27, 2010 20:44

slew
Mick is/was a genius and is somewhat overlooked. You think rock singer and Mick Jagger comes to mind even for people who do not like the Stones. Mick's true genius is how he picked up on things. He saw Lennon/McCartney bang out I Wanna Be Your Man and said to Keith we need to do that, his interpretation of James Brown and others on stage. he picked up on all of that and created his own persona. Without rambling Mick Jagger took a band that was different and blues based and because of his charisma and persona made them "commercial" without sacrificing the music. the Stones have some "early pop" songs but they were/are a rock band. Because of them other bands emereged that perhaps would not have if it had not been for Mick Jagger. He also had a lot of help from fellow band mates and Andrew Oldham along the way. His partnership with Keith is genius. The ability to pick up on musical fads without losing the identity its all there. Mick is the complete package. That said I'll still take Keith as my favorite band member!!!
slew..A Genius to me is someone thats thought of something original and made a success of it.Or someone has made a success of it for them.Like ya' hear sometimes such and such was the real Genius behind it. Than someone who become successful copying another idea.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 27, 2010 21:14

71Tele

I guess I've always considered Vocalists (even if they don't play traditional instruments) to be
musicians because their voice is their instrument.

Not sure if "genius" is the correct term for Mick though...

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: August 28, 2010 00:50

YES HE IS! For many reasons... you named it!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 28, 2010 01:02

jamesfdouglas
Addicted
colonial

Keith did the solo thing before Mick did with the New Barbarians. Only difference between the two and their solo tours... Keith was far more threatened at the idea of Mick as a Solo Act than vice-versa.

I thought New Barbarians was in addition to the Stones and Mick solo was instead of the Stones.

I also disgree with you from the other side. I would say that the critical reception of Talk Is Cheap made Mick realize that working again with Keith would be better than not, as opposed to any harsh words in the paper Keith would have said about Mick (and Keith was MUCH more vocal about it. I remember those days.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 28, 2010 04:03

Colonial - Mick Was influenced by many people. He did not copy anyone person in particuliar. Mick Jagger took his influences and rolled them into something very original. Mick is not someone who copied others though many have copied him. He is a gifted song writer (or was) the man is a tremendous talent.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 28, 2010 05:17

aralla
YES HE IS! For many reasons... you named it!

let's compromise and say WAS (not Don WAS)

IORR............but I like it!

Date: August 28, 2010 08:59

slew
Colonial - Mick Was influenced by many people. He did not copy anyone person in particuliar. Mick Jagger took his influences and rolled them into something very original. Mick is not someone who copied others though many have copied him. He is a gifted song writer (or was) the man is a tremendous talent.
slew.. I wasn't talking about Mick..but yea' what ya' said its all very true about Mick.I couldn't of put it better myself..cheerssmiling smiley lol

Date: August 28, 2010 10:08

Mick Jagger is in a very elite group of Musicians that are known throughout the world as Gifted Geniuses.I'm sure there are more..

ELVIS PRESLEY
MICK JAGGER
PAUL McCARTNEY
JOHN LENNON
MICHAEL JACKSON
JIMMI HENDRIX
SYD BARRETT

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 28, 2010 10:47

colonial
Mick Jagger is in a very elite group of Musicians that are known throughout the world as Gifted Geniuses.I'm sure there are more..

ELVIS PRESLEY
MICK JAGGER
PAUL McCARTNEY
JOHN LENNON
MICHAEL JACKSON
JIMMI HENDRIX
SYD BARRETT

figure in the songwriting,the performing,the survival insticts,the business sense and the ability to work within a group and keep a band together then start thinning the herd...i dont know about genius but somebody here stands out as one smart motherfu.......

Date: August 28, 2010 10:58

is it a must thing to do - every time anybody tells smth. nice about Mick Jagger right now swears his/her eternal love to Keith.
ok, I think Mick is very talented artist and That said I'll still take Mick Jagger as my favorite band member!!!

Date: August 28, 2010 11:00

sorry for text size - that' was not intentional

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 28, 2010 11:55

Mick Jagger a Gifted Genius..

yes definately, was that in question?

who is if he is not?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home