Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

cost of physical music ??
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 27, 2010 20:01

Sorry about the odd subject title couldn't think of any other way to start it.
I like loads of you download boots and sometimes download legal albums if for example they have extra tracks or exclusives, like the Amazom .UK All Down The Line .I also buy physical items like cd's and dvd's and even sometimes vinyl singles.

Thing is what does everybody think about all this choice, I have recieved over the last few days emails from the Stones telling me about the vinyl releases od Sticky Fingers ect, emails from Springsteeen about The promise, also bought on download Crowology by Black Crowes (birthday present from my son) to get the 2 extra tracks, this version was actually cheaper than the standard issue from some sites, I paid £7.99 for the 22 track version from Itunes as to the average £8.95.
Yesterday I was in Fopp in Manchester and bought a few random cds including a cd/dvd set by Neil Young Sugar Mountain £3.
I have no idea if this is any good but for £3 it can't be bad.

So I guess what I am trying to fathom out is , where is the music industry going, is a physical copy better than a vitual one, would I be as enthusiastic about a release of outakes only available to download as I would the physical copy.
People keep releasing their backcatalogues to satisfy demand, but is there really that much of a demand if stuff like Neil Youngs efforts are selling for such a low amount as £3

Re: cost of physical music ??
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 27, 2010 21:15

the music industry doesn't know where to turn next - it ate itself long ago and is the master of its own downfall. Too greedy for too long.
You can pay anything up to £16 for an album cd, in the UK highstreet.
I used love the spontaneity of wandering around a record shop, spending alot of time browsing the racks and taking risks by buying music of artists i knew little or nothing about.
These days i cannot afford to do it...if i'm going to spent the best part of £20 on an album, it's a considered purchase, based on past form or reviews.

Date: August 27, 2010 22:16

Adrian-L
the music industry doesn't know where to turn next - it ate itself long ago and is the master of its own downfall. Too greedy for too long.
You can pay anything up to £16 for an album cd, in the UK highstreet.
I used love the spontaneity of wandering around a record shop, spending alot of time browsing the racks and taking risks by buying music of artists i knew little or nothing about.
These days i cannot afford to do it...if i'm going to spent the best part of £20 on an album, it's a considered purchase, based on past form or reviews.

couldn't agree more with your sentiment about wandering around record stores, my ex wife used to think I was mad.
Still as I mentioned in my opening observation, I bought a few random cds, The National's first self titled album and their Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers both 5pounds plus the already mentioned Neil Young 3 pounds and a cd by The Courteenrs called Falcon that a mate said was quite good also 3quid so I got 4 for 16 quid so not bad , doesn't happen very often these days though unfortunately

Date: August 27, 2010 22:40

4 for £16 is good business and worth a punt. Not many highstreet outlets offering that kind of tempting pricing.

Date: August 27, 2010 22:56

Adrian-L
4 for £16 is good business and worth a punt. Not many highstreet outlets offering that kind of tempting pricing.[/quote

If you have a Fopp near you they are always worth checking out, I noticed that they had the Dylan Tell Tale Signs single cd version for 3 quid as well,same shop I bought the box set last year for 35quid and the Rolled Gold USB edition also 3quid

Date: August 27, 2010 23:14

thankyou

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 27, 2010 23:44

It's utterly strange that the download stores get the bonus tracks these days, selling them in crappy mp3 sound quality made for earbuds - instead of putting them onto the CD to make it worth the price they charge. This practise is discouraging people further from buying any music.

Earbuds used to be for drowning out noise. Nowadays they are for drowning out the world.

Crappy disposable cardboard packaging is another trouble that's not worth the money, especially if there are no liner notes whatsoever.

It's not the price tag that's turning me off of buying music, it's the feeling that the labels try to cheat me into buying inferior product for the full price.
I do not buy mp3s. They are inferior product.

Posted by: Mooseman ()
Date: August 27, 2010 23:48

I still buy records and thats pretty much all I listen to I don't listen to cds often unless its of something I don't have on record. But im picky when I buy something I usually know what I am looking for.

Date: August 28, 2010 22:53

Ah, those bygone days of looking thru the used bins at my local record store. It brings a tear to my eye. Some of the music I treasure most was found in those bins. The Pirates, Dr Feelgood, The Angels (the aussie band), Nine Below Zero. Bands that were, and still are, unknown here in the states. For $1.99 you could take a chance on something just because the cover looked cool. Gotta put one of those slab o wax on the old turntable and relive those good ol' days.

Scotty

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 28, 2010 22:55

when there's a choice between spending money and not spending money for something, i've learned after years of spending that not spending costs much less....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home