Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'I Don't Know Why' and 'Don't lie to me' are covers by the Rolling Stones !
Posted by: robbertnice ()
Date: March 2, 2011 22:34

Stevie Wonder wrote this wonderful song: I don't know why (I love you), covered by The Rolling Stones and credited as Jagger/Richards/Taylor on Metamorphosis. Also covered by The Jackson Five, with little Michael !

As for Don't (You) Lie To Me: It's an original Tampa Red song from 1940, credited Jagger/Richards on my Metamorphosis LP record. It's also a Chuck Berry classic !

More refreshing covers by The Rolling Stones, I counted 73 to listen and compare

[www.gerardslinkert.nl]

Kind regards, Gerard

Re: 'I Don't Know Why' and 'Don't lie to me' are covers by the Rolling Stones !
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: March 2, 2011 22:37

duh....just kidding with you. Good info for anyone that doesn't know

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 2, 2011 22:48

Don't Lie To Me is also a Fats Domino classic, recorded in 1951 & probably the inspiration for Chuck's version.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 2, 2011 23:29

The Jagger/Richards and Jagger/Richards/Taylor songwriting credits for those songs were ABKCO's errors. It helped that doing so gave ABKCO the publishing rights. They appeared only on the initial vinyl pressings and were quickly corrected.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 04:33

I DON'T KNOW WHY is one of my favorite Stones songs

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 3, 2011 11:36

Title5Take1
I DON'T KNOW WHY is one of my favorite Stones songs

Mine too, & it's also my favourite Stevie Wonder song (though I prefer the Stones' version, particularly Mick Taylor's guitar solos). Very poignant that they were recording / mixing this when they heard that Brian had died.

Date: March 3, 2011 13:00

Mellencamp also did a cover of I Don't Know Why.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 13:10

One of the best covers by The Rolling Stones!
Of course I love the original but The Stones version is better IMO.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 3, 2011 13:19

Here's what I think. I think Keith listened to it when Anita was fooling around with Mick. Gimme Shelter has the same chords and the Stones version sounds a bit like GS in the intro.
IDKW has the same chords and also that extra punch at the end of each verse. Similarities in form.
Gimme shelter is different in many ways and a unique song. It also sounds a bit like Under my thumb so who knows what inspired Keith.
Woudlnt surprise me if I Dont know why is what inspired him to write Gimme Shelter. It fits the scene with Anita/Mick very well.

Date: March 3, 2011 13:21

It's not the same chords.

Date: March 3, 2011 13:54

Sure it is. Not everything but the intro chords are more or less the same and the songs are structured in the same chord pattern. Play "I dont know why" in open E tuning:

Gimme Shelter: C# - B - A and then the powerful turning point: E - A and then back to C#. Before returning to C# Keith plays a B.

I dont know why: C# - B - A and then a powerful turning point in E but also a little thing on F#, A, E. Before returning to the C# he plays a B.

Compare that part in I dont know why, to how Keith plays the E - A part in Gimme Shelter. It's not the same song but there are similarities. Inspiration maybe.

Date: March 3, 2011 14:57

Exactly, some chords are the same, but the sequence is not the same. The E - A-thing Keith does is not the main chords, btw. The bass and the rest of the band are playing A - B, so it's just some riffing he does (that suits brilliantly, I must add).

But I get your point. Then again, UMT and One Hit To The Body also have the same intro chord sequences. Inspiration is stretching it a bit, imo.

Date: March 4, 2011 00:36

I disagree. "I dont know why" fits in well in the story of GS, as inspiration - but then who knows. Interesting question though. Gimme Shelter is such a great song. And no, I'm not saying it's like a rip off or anything, nothing like that. Keith really went through something there in 1968/1969.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 4, 2011 00:57

"I Don't Know Why" is one of the best covers the Stones ever made, instrumentally far way better then the original, voice 50% better

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 11, 2011 00:01

..........my favorite Jagger vocal after Let It Loose

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home