Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT Ice in Georgia
Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:38

Hey Elmo and other folks in Georgia
How you makin' it?
It snowed here Sunday and I've been out of work since.
Schools are closed and roads aren't really passable around here.
What's it like down there?
Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Re: OT Ice in Georgia
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:45

I was born in Atlanta, but kinda glad I'm not there now.

Be careful, ya'll!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:58

Maybe this will warm you guys up.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 13, 2011 03:15

I live in the Decatur area of Atlanta, inside the perimeter. Haven't started my car since Sunday...luckily I am able to take the week off from my job.

Walked to the grocery store a couple of times...the walk was much slippier today than yesterday, and I came close to slipping and busting my ass a bunch of times, but never actually fell.

My local store ran out of Guiness, damn it...I am almost out of Jack Daniels,and I'm completely out of weed. sad smiley

Been watching a lot of movies, and playing guitar a lot. I'm getting pretty bored though, and I'm ready for things to return to normal.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 13, 2011 03:37

Snow/ice gone here south of Macon, but cold as a witches tit.

Lots of pine trees down in my yard. Were without power most of Monday.

Great weather for sex, liqour, and sleeping! LOL

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 13, 2011 07:27

It must be fun for the kids down there (in New York). This Global Warming stuff is a Bitch! Or is it cooling? Still it must be W Bush's fault. LOL! Just kidding.

Enjoy the snow.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: January 13, 2011 16:24

Hey, Keefan!

I live probably two miles from you, also in Decatur! My band, The Amazing Mongooses, is playing at Maddy's on Saturday night! Come out and we'll play "Loving Cup" for ya!

Yeah, really getting bored sitting around the house, although I've written five new songs over the past week.

You really know you are bored when you come up with "Personal Stones Concert Stats," such as:

STONES CONCERTS BY STATE: Georgia - 5, Alabama - 2, North Carolina - 2
INDOOR/OUTDOOR SHOWS: Indoor Arenas - 6, Outdoor Arenas - 3
SONGS PLAYED IN ALL NINE SHOWS: JJF, HTW, TD, BS
SONGS ONLY HEARD ONCE: It's All Over Now, Heartbreaker, Love in Vain, Sway, Worried About You, The Last Time, etc.

(I could keep going, but you get the idea......)

Cheers

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 13, 2011 16:33

Man, a little snow and they close the city for a week? I know that it is uncommon there but wow!!! They need to smarten up and stockpile some road salt for winter events.

We got 6 more inches of snow yesterday and the main roads are plowed and ready to go by morning. You go out and brush off the car and away you go.

Date: January 13, 2011 16:39

Hey y'all Atlanta area folks, Mrs. Elmo (Karen) and I are coming to the Fox February 27 to see Mellencamp. If you'd like to join us for a pre-show drink, lemme know. We're staying at the Georgian Terrace - across the street from the Fox.

BTW, I lived in the ATL area in the 80's. Saw some great (and not so great) bands - Swinging Richards, Satellites, Ultimates, Swimming Pool Q's, Tinsley Ellis/Heartfixers, etc.

Mongoose, would love to see y'all play.

Scotty

Date: January 13, 2011 16:49

Thanks Edith...most of us are.

Thanks sweetcharmed....that's our snow removal plan!

Hey Keefan..I guess you didn't try to call in to 11alive about the weed shortage huh?

Hey Elmo, glad you just lost power for a day. That was the best thing about this one. No power outage.

Hey Mongoose! I'll try to make it Maddys to catch you guys. You ever play the jam there?

Sicilian...we ran out of our snow melt mix for the year. Had to go buy some more.

Elmo...keep me posted on the Mellencamp meet. Snow will probably be gone by then.

Marv

Marv Peck

Date: January 13, 2011 16:59

The Sicilian
They need to smarten up and stockpile some road salt for winter events.

My be a little OT, but that's a big reason why cars tend to last longer in the south.
We don't have all that road salt eating up our sheet metal!

Date: January 13, 2011 18:09

Yeah, Marv, would love to see ya and have a COLD one.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 13, 2011 18:10

deadegad
It must be fun for the kids down there (in New York). This Global Warming stuff is a Bitch! Or is it cooling? Still it must be W Bush's fault. LOL! Just kidding.

Enjoy the snow.
Actually last year was the warmest year ever on record.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 13, 2011 18:49

The Sicilian
Man, a little snow and they close the city for a week? I know that it is uncommon there but wow!!! They need to smarten up and stockpile some road salt for winter events.

We got 6 more inches of snow yesterday and the main roads are plowed and ready to go by morning. You go out and brush off the car and away you go.

Like this man -Paul- on the video says :

"They are nervous about it because arent' accustomed to it "

I am very surprised that a big city like Atlanta wants to close the schools & businesses because of a few inches of snow.

How come the ground was so icy ,as one can see on the video ?
It's now "only" 27 F in Altanta ,right ?

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 13, 2011 18:53

I am in Nashville and we got it pretty bad for a day or 2, but I hear my Georgia neighbors got it a LOT worse. Best of luck to you guys!

Date: January 13, 2011 19:49

Edith Grove
The Sicilian

My be a little OT, but that's a big reason why cars tend to last longer in the south.

That is why they created leases. Three years and out.

Date: January 13, 2011 19:58

The Sicilian
Edith Grove
The Sicilian

That is why they created leases. Three years and out.

So that's where all the three year-old rustbuckets I see are coming from ! grinning smiley

Date: January 13, 2011 20:48

Mongoose
Hey, Keefan!

I live probably two miles from you, also in Decatur! My band, The Amazing Mongooses, is playing at Maddy's on Saturday night! Come out and we'll play "Loving Cup" for ya!

Very cool Mongoose, I live around the corner and down the hill from Maddy's! Hope I can make it to your show Saturday night.

marvpeck
Hey Keefan..I guess you didn't try to call in to 11alive about the weed shortage huh?

Hmmm. that's not a bad idea, at least to complain about the Guinness shortage. Just about an hour ago on 11Alive they played a little of "She's So Cold" while showing footage of the snowmen, kids sledding, etc.

Date: January 13, 2011 23:55

Hey Mongoose...I think I heard you guys there before.
What do you play?

Marv Peck

Date: January 14, 2011 00:01

Hey Y'all

Elmo is going to be in town for Mellencamp

"Hey y'all Atlanta area folks, Mrs. Elmo (Karen) and I are coming to the Fox February 27 to see Mellencamp. If you'd like to join us for a pre-show drink, lemme know. We're staying at the Georgian Terrace - across the street from the Fox."

Hey Mongoose, y'all playing somewhere around then? Maybe we could all hook up for a jam? How much are those Mellencamp tix Elmo?

Marv Peck

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:52

Hey, marvpeck!

We've played there often. We're the only "blues band" that plays there that also plays a healthy dose of Stones, Beatles, Led Zep, Floyd, and originals.

You can check us out at:
[www.myspace.com]

We're at Nik's in Marietta at the end of the month, Java Monkey in Decatur mid-Feb (not that same Mellencamp date, unfortunately), and Shorty's in Tucker in March.

Keefan, Elmo, and any other ATL IORR folks, I'd love to have you come out!

Date: January 14, 2011 02:40

Hey Mongoose, I just listened to some of your tunes on MySpace. You guys sound great, and hats off to your excellent guitar playing! If I don't make it out on Saturday (unfortunately your gig is the same time as the Falcons game), I will make a point to see you guys soon (let me know the date for the Java Monkey gig, or post it on your site). Keep on rockin'!

Elmo, MArvPeck, I would be up for meeting for drinks, so drop me a line with the details when the time comes.

Peace out y'all!

Date: January 14, 2011 03:03

SwayStones
The Sicilian

Like this man -Paul- on the video says :

"They are nervous about it because arent' accustomed to it "

I am very surprised that a big city like Atlanta wants to close the schools & businesses because of a few inches of snow.

How come the ground was so icy ,as one can see on the video ?
It's now "only" 27 F in Altanta ,right ?

Its really the icy roads that are the problem, not the snow. Usually the snow melts away pretty quickly here, but the temperatures are staying so low that the snow keeps refreezing, and there is still a lot of ice on the roads.

We should've prepared for it better, but we don't get ice like this often. We had more snow in the blizzard of '93, but I don't recall the roads staying so icy for so long since 1973.

Most of the area is driveable now, but things are still tricky on the sidestreets, which are often shady, and haven't been plowed, or gotten any salt & gravel. I could probably make it to work if I tried, but its 35 miles north of where I live, and two of the highway exits I take have been problem spots this week.

This is a slow time of the year for my company anyway, but I am actually looking forward to going back to work though!

Date: January 14, 2011 05:22

In Buffalo, our bulk trash trucks of warmer months are converted to salt and plow trucks in winter. We don't have special trucks for salting in winter just add on equipment. Plus we stock up on salt (huge piles) like giant sand piles for winter. When snow and ice is forecast, out the come. And life goes on.....

Date: January 14, 2011 15:42

Keefan
Hey Mongoose, I just listened to some of your tunes on MySpace. You guys sound great, and hats off to your excellent guitar playing! If I don't make it out on Saturday (unfortunately your gig is the same time as the Falcons game), I will make a point to see you guys soon (let me know the date for the Java Monkey gig, or post it on your site). Keep on rockin'!

Elmo, MArvPeck, I would be up for meeting for drinks, so drop me a line with the details when the time comes.

Peace out y'all!

Will do, Keefan.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 14, 2011 15:43

marvpeck
Hey Y'all

Elmo is going to be in town for Mellencamp

"Hey y'all Atlanta area folks, Mrs. Elmo (Karen) and I are coming to the Fox February 27 to see Mellencamp. If you'd like to join us for a pre-show drink, lemme know. We're staying at the Georgian Terrace - across the street from the Fox."

Hey Mongoose, y'all playing somewhere around then? Maybe we could all hook up for a jam? How much are those Mellencamp tix Elmo?

[www.mellencamp.com]

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 14, 2011 15:47

A Mellencamp review:

[classicrock.about.com]

Date: January 14, 2011 18:15

So Mongoose ...are you the guitar player?

Marv Peck

Date: January 14, 2011 19:51

Date: January 15, 2011 00:23

Good one Elmo!

When I touched her by tongue just froze!

Marv Peck

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home