Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Beacon Theatre/Shine A Light
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: February 23, 2011 22:47

I was wondering if anyone on here was at the Beacon Theatre when they filmed SAL. I'd be interested to hear first hand what kind of show it was, i.e. good, bad...was there a lot of stopping and starting to allow for the filming etc.

If it's been posted before - I apologise in advance

Re: Beacon Theatre/Shine A Light
Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: February 23, 2011 23:10

I was at the 2nd show(the one that was in the movie) and it was just like a regular concert. no stops or starts. Everyone seems to get their panties in a wad over the fact that most poeple on the floor were paid extras - who cares, it was a great crowd and an incredible Rolling Stones experience. I saw them 15 times on that tour and that was the last show i saw. if that turns out to be the last Stones show i ever see, i would be happy with those memories.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2011 23:32

i was there at the opener - the clinton part of the movie comes from that (and you can see me then...i'm still waiting for my paycheck for my cameo)....and some of the songs from the album were culled from the first show, too...

to answer your question, as lstnt says, it was just a regular show for all intents and purposes...you could tell mick and keith were mugging for the cameras, of course...but otherwise.....

Date: February 23, 2011 23:40

Nice one, thanks Guys - I really thought there would be some stopping and longer gaps betwen songs etc...but good to hear it was a decent gig. It's hard to tell from the film due to the 'extras' near the front and the overdubs and, if I'm not mistaken some really bad levels on the sound where it seems to be pushed up to catch a chord or lick and then dampened down - gives it a strange overall patchy sound

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 23, 2011 23:46

>> if I'm not mistaken some really bad levels on the sound where it seems to be pushed up to catch a chord or lick
and then dampened down - gives it a strange overall patchy sound <<

apparently certain highly regarded filmmakers think that when you're at a concert
whatever instrument you look at gets louder than the others eye rolling smiley

Date: February 23, 2011 23:49

true that, sssoul sister....very annoying to listen to the movie....a case where the mix in the theater was better than on the film....

Date: February 23, 2011 23:53

Thank god...thought it was just my ears doing it! Scorsese did it bit on the Last Waltz as well.

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: February 23, 2011 23:58

Agree with LSTNT.Both shows were in the movie as far as I know. Was at second show. Most people (at least women) in front were paid. Had a great time. Show was very good but mostly enjoyed it because I had never seen them in such a small venue. Also the Beacon,had been re-outfitted (the stage was expanded and redecorated) for the show and the sound was also vastly improved over the usual there.They've certainly played shows in the modern era (post Taylor) that were superior musically IMO.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 24, 2011 00:06

I love the show but I cringe when they do Sympathy. on 'She Was Hot' where Lisa screams and Mick does a dance to her I always want to jump around the room, fantastic.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 24, 2011 00:08

2nd show. Big downer was when they marched in the brainless girls to stand stageside

Date: February 24, 2011 00:12

oldfan
.Both shows were in the movie as far as I know.

all of the song performances come from the 2nd show

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: February 24, 2011 00:22

Thanks StonesTod

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 24, 2011 00:35

I was at both shows and loved 'em both. How could you not? Even if the tickets had not been $35 or thereabouts - or at least for the second show. The first show I got very lucky and paid nothing - I guess sometimes it pays to hang around in eternal hope for nine hours on the coldest day EVER.... I lost my voice totally after the second show and didn't get it back for a couple of days. It was annoying about those paid extras who couldn't have given a damn about being down front, but that was my only complaint.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: February 24, 2011 01:05

I was at first show, ditto all the above, not the greatest performance I witnessed but great vibe to be at The Beacon, I was mid top level, dead center, tickets were comped compliments of CL, my RockinBud is friendly with him..
RB

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 24, 2011 02:30

flairville
I love the show but I cringe when they do Sympathy. on 'She Was Hot' where Lisa screams and Mick does a dance to her I always want to jump around the room, fantastic.

+500 on the She Was Hot comment :-)

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 24, 2011 06:12

I was at the second show and I thought it was the best show to date of the ABB tour of the 15 previous shows I saw. All Down the Line was the best version ever that I have heard on any tour (going back to 75). The band was hitting on all cylinders and it was especially great to see them in a small venue. And I too can be seen in the film from my perch in the front row of the loge (lower balcony)section.

Once in a lifetime experience (I hope not).

However, the second show at the O2 topped the Beacon not only as the best of the 27 I saw on the ABB tour, but the best show I have ever seen of the 45 going back to 75.

plexi

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 24, 2011 07:36

Paraphrasing a quote from a friend who was there...

"it was weak compared to some of the Licks theater shows".

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 24, 2011 09:04

I was at the second show; it was good but I agree that it was not as good as the Licks theater shows that I saw. I enjoyed it but found some of the camreas and people moving equipment a bit distracting.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 24, 2011 09:27

I was at both the Beacon shows. I had $35 tickets but ended up down in front both nights. (In fact, I can clearly see myself in the audience during a few songs on the DVD). There was a lot of excitement knowing that these shows were being filmed for a movie but as the poster above noted, all of the film equipment and extra crew on hand was somewhat of a distraction...especially on the floor. There were lots of celebrities in the house, and lots of eye candy mixed in with usual Stones fans. I don't know what the sound was like up in the balcony but it was fine down on the floor. As far as the performances, they were solid but nothing out of the ordinary. I wasn't thrilled with the guest appearances (except for Buddy Guy) and they weren't necessary. I would have much rather seen a few people who actually had something to do with the Stones career...or at least were on the same level as them in terms of musical status (Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor, etc). The setlist was more interesting than they had been doing by that point in the tour, and there were a few different songs between the two shows. A personal highlight was seeing Mick and Keith share the microphone during "Faraway Eyes." The crowd roared during that moment. And "All Down The Line" kicked ass. Despite them not being on the par musically with some some of the theater shows from previous tours, they were still great and an incredible experience. I was really tired for both shows so I was grateful to be able to relive it again at the theater and again on DVD. I only wish Martin Scorcese had been able to film them in their prime on the '78 tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-24 10:25 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 24, 2011 09:43

I was at the second show, and what with all the excitement (especially of getting in for the meagre sum of $35), it's very difficult to remain objective about it. I loved the setlist, that's for sure. Can't really comment about the sound issues, didn't particularly notice them at the time. I agree with peoples' observations about the dolly birds in the front rows, that was a bit of a shame, but in all fairness .... I wasn't there to see them, I was there to see the Stones, so that's where I was looking !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 24, 2011 12:18

>> Can't really comment about the sound issues, didn't particularly notice them at the time. <<

the complaints are about the goofily fiddled-with sound in the film, not at the shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 09:07 by with sssoul.

Date: February 24, 2011 13:26

with sssoul
>> Can't really comment about the sound issues, didn't particularly notice them at the time. <<

the complaints are about the goofilyy fiddled-with sound in the film, not at the shows

Aha, thanks for correcting me. Well even so, can you just imagine the excitement level at having merely got INTO that show ? To be honest, tons of things could have been wrong or 'not that great' etc etc, and quite frankly ... would I have noticed and would I have cared ? No, not really. I was just so delirious with joy at being 'in the room' as KR would say, that just about anything could've taken place, I was in RS heaven regardless !!

All in all, it's one of my most treasured memories, the show, the whole build up to it, the sourcing of the tickets, just wonderful.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 24, 2011 14:02

100% seconded on those sentiments,paulywaul!

Date: February 24, 2011 17:32

Beast
100% seconded on those sentiments,paulywaul!

80% thirded for me

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 25, 2011 07:00

I want to know how people got the $35 tickets. Please elaborate.

And Torn and Fried, how did you end up down on the floor and up front on both nights?

One other thing, I liked it in the film when the sound would accentuate coming from the musicians who were being filmed, I could hear their parts much more clearly than in a standard mix.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 07:01 by timbernardis.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 25, 2011 08:50

timbernardis
I want to know how people got the $35 tickets. Please elaborate.

And Torn and Fried, how did you end up down on the floor and up front on both nights?

One other thing, I liked it in the film when the sound would accentuate coming from the musicians who were being filmed, I could hear their parts much more clearly than in a standard mix.

plexi

I got my $35 tickets through Shelley Lazar (the Stones official ticket distributor). Shelley is an angel. The ticket was up in the balcony somewhere but I never even went up there. I just walked down on to the floor during Buddy Guy's set both nights and found a convenient place to stand. There were actually a few open areas and empty seats down front that weren't sold due to the fact they were in the area of a moving camera or jib, or partially obstructed by lighting or movie equipment. There were a lot of VIP's in my vicinity and on the first night I stood next to Albert Maysles (the co-director of "Gimme Shelter") and on the second, Jane Rose (Keith's manager). Nobody ever asked me to see my ticket or whre my seat was. It wasn't like a normal concert. For $35 it was definitely a huge bargain and I might add, the most I've ever paid for a Stones ticket in all the years I've seen them!

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 16:48

Was at the Beacon for both shows ev en thought they moved the "halloween" show to the next night. Had tickets for upstairs but watched both shows from the floor. Great shows great audience with the exception of the "staged" teens in the front! You have to see it in IMAX!!
Still nothing will EVER compare to Brixton 95!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:21

I was there the second night, first row in the second balcony.
The biggest treats for me were getting a ticket, getting in, seeing the band in the venue, and...being part of the
most intense, most involved audience ever.

Date: February 25, 2011 17:27

njlstones815
Was at the Beacon for both shows ev en thought they moved the "halloween" show to the next night. Had tickets for upstairs but watched both shows from the floor. Great shows great audience with the exception of the "staged" teens in the front! You have to see it in IMAX!!

Yup, that was a show and a half that was, it blows either of those two Beacon shows (I only actually attended the second of them) out of the water, at least for me personally.

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:47

Hey, the Brixton gig...what a cracker!

It deserves a thread all of its own.

The Moon is up!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home