Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T sort of RECRUIT JACK WHITE
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2011 17:47

[www.boston.com]

A little reinvention wouldn't hurt for a new album...

Re: O/T sort of RECRUIT JACK WHITE
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2011 18:27

The link previously is to the article of Jack White producing 73 year old Wanda Jackson....

here is that article:

Just as the tape starts rolling, there’s a snippet of studio chatter Wanda Jackson probably didn’t intend for you to hear. “I always have to push,’’ she says into the microphone, even humming the first note a little to get herself ready to cover Amy Winehouse’s “You Know I’m No Good.’’

Tweet 2 people Tweeted thisSubmit to DiggdiggsdiggYahoo! Buzz ShareThis On first blush — and certain lines indeed invite you to blush (“I’m in the tub/ You’re on the seat/ Lick your lips as I soak my feet’’) — it’s a bewildering song for a 73-year-old grandmother from Oklahoma City. Then again, we’re talking about Wanda Jackson, a rock ’n’ roll pioneer whose entire mythology was built on a feral voice that warned you she was definitely no good.

The Winehouse cover was released as a single last year, but it was merely a tease for the delicious and unexpected delights on her new album. Produced by Jack White, “The Party Ain’t Over’’ will be released tomorrow on his own Third Man Records and Nonesuch Records.

White, who first rose to fame with the White Stripes, has been down this road before. He produced Loretta Lynn’s acclaimed “Van Lear Rose’’ in 2004, which introduced the country matriarch to a new generation and won her a pair of Grammys. Just as he did with Lynn, White extracts the essence of what made Jackson such a singular talent, but “The Party Ain’t Over’’ couldn’t be a more distinctive record.

The big difference between Lynn and Jackson is that the latter was never a major star — a seminal influence who was finally inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year, yes, but never a superstar. She should’ve been, and her unsung-hero status made Jackson even riper for a reinvention.

As a title, “The Party Ain’t Over’’ works on two levels: as a play on Jackson’s rowdy first hit, “Let’s Have a Party,’’ and a declaration that the lady is still a ferocious hellcat. The album is charged with capturing her career’s various phases, from sweet ballad singer (“Teach Me Tonight’’) and rockabilly firebrand (“Rip It Up’’) to honky-tonk heroine (“Blue Yodel #6’’) and born-again Christian (“Dust on the Bible’’). It’s all here, like a master class on Wanda Jackson concentrated into 11 songs.

You sense that White challenged Jackson in the studio and ended up coaxing some of her most vital performances in decades. The notion of Jackson as a snarling rocker obviously loomed large in White’s mind. Several songs exploit the filthier side of Jackson’s voice, so coarse that it’s almost harsh to the ears. Her deep growl on “Nervous Breakdown’’ makes a compelling case that she’s about to have one.

Rarely, even on her earliest recordings, has Jackson sounded so invested in the material, like every note was yanked from the gut. She’s working harder here partly because she’s got a backing band pushing just as hard. White deserves credit for creating a sonic palette where Motown horns stoke the arrangements, pedal steel wails like a coyote in the night, and his own guitar lines are as mean and menacing as Jackson’s voice.

Under White’s tutelage, there’s also an attention to detail, to image, that Jackson has never experienced before. Just look at the album cover. There’s Jackson, eyes twinkling as she peers out from an arm’s length of white fringe. The backdrop is electric pink; the nest of hair is shiny black. The whole photo suggests an air of intrigue: Who is this woman, and is she dangerous?

The song selections, too, feel as if they’ve been carefully considered to see what kind of havoc Jackson can still wreak. The Andrews Sisters’ “Rum and Coca-Cola’’ is transformed into a woozy circus-sideshow confection, and Jackson sounds like she swilled some of that rum on a blowzy rendition of “Busted,’’ a Harlan Howard tune first made famous by Ray Charles and Johnny Cash.

The album’s centerpiece, though, is an astonishing interpretation of Bob Dylan’s “Thunder on the Mountain’’ that charges faster than the original. Breaking through blasts of horns, Jackson rides the beat as if it’s headed toward a cliff. Dylan himself apparently requested that Jackson cover it, and his appreciation is expressed in the album’s promo sticker: “An atomic bomb in lipstick,’’ he calls her.

Jackson, who comes to Royale on Feb. 23, previewed these new songs last week at a sold-out show at Brooklyn’s Music Hall of Williamsburg. It was one of the few performances where Jackson was joined by White on guitar and a fine assortment of seasoned players, including former Bostonian Rich Gilbert on pedal steel.

As White vamped on one of the songs, his electric ax raised above Jackson’s head, she stood back in awe. She feared she might have been stepping on his toes at one point. “I never know when you’re through, honey,’’ she said. Listening to “The Party Ain’t Over,’’ you could say the very same about Jackson.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:06

It would be great if White produced the next Stones effort, but I would be surprised if it happened.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:18

deadegad
It would be great if White produced the next Stones effort, but I would be surprised if it happened.
Keith wants to work with

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:26

I had never heard of this Jack White until I saw him on the Shine A Light DVD. My first thought was "Is that a man or a woman?" and my second thought was "Is this some kind of joke?"...
I don't get what people see in this guy. He has horrible looks, he has a horrible voice, his whole appearance was altogether horrible. What are supposed to be this guy's saving graces?
In short: why?

Date: February 20, 2011 19:47

The more projects like Wanda Jackson or Loretta Lynn that JW takes on, the more real the possibilty of him doing the Stones sounds. A while back when this pairing was discussed I didn't think it realistic. He is just too young. But his CV grows. Plus - he is out of Nashville. IMO, were the Stones to put out another album - this is where they should make camp.

One more thing that impressed me about Jack White is his drumming.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:50

I think that both the Loretta Lynn & Wanda JAckson cds that he produced are masterpieces. I'd love to hear what the Stones would sound like produced by him.

"Is that a man or a woman?" LOL people used to say the same thing about Jagger.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:52

I've been saying since 2002 he would be a good choice to produce a Stones record.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:57

mtaylor
deadegad
Keith wants to work with

That's good to hear. Let's hope it happens.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:59

I love both the Loretta Lynn and the Wanda discs. Where his approach might not work with the Stones is that on the Lynn/Jackson discs he serves as the musical/musician director, as well as the producer. Certainly he wouldn't have this former role on a Stones album. Ultimately this is the prime question with a prospective Stones' Producer: how much input would they really have?

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: February 20, 2011 20:12

I've also been saying it since 2002. I don't really get the feminine comments. I don't see it. A lot less androgynous than Jagger at any age, not that there's anything wrong with that. Well, I don't know. There is that White Stripes cover of "Jolene" by Dolly Parton. Anyway, back to the subject, if you don't understand all the fuss about Jack White, listen to all the White Stripes albums on vinyl, starting with the first. If you start with the last two, you won't get it. All analog, recorded quickly, never over-produced (except maybe Get Behind Me Satan), predominantly blues-based, no over-processessed guitar tones, no current-sounding keyboard work (The Stripes travelled with a real Rhodes 73, and an REAL piano last time I saw them live). Yet, they never sounded retro. Exactly where The Stones need to be again. Hell, he might even make Chuck Leavell sound tough. When you get to the last album, you'll see that he even knows how to record drums properly in a real studio. Yeah, I forgot to mention that all the previous albums were home recordings. Icky Thump was the first one in a real studio. Quit going for a hit sound, and they might just have one.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 20, 2011 20:32

deadegad
mtaylor
deadegad
Keith wants to work with

That's good to hear. Let's hope it happens.
Said indirectly here:
[www.nme.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 20, 2011 20:50

yeah do it

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 20, 2011 20:51

Always cracks me up to constantly read on here a guy's talents being totally written off based on a one-song guest appearance in a concert movie where the choice of song didnt really suit him, and where the Stones themselves didnt exactly perform to the best of their abilities either.

And what in the name of good Christ has his appearance and singing voice got to do with his ability to produce a record? The irony of A Stones fan slagging off a performer based on looks and vocal technique is lost on some people.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 20, 2011 21:25

...if only Jack White had a shot...that would be great...and if Jagger ever does a solo record and has some dance grooves I hope he works with Timberlake.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: February 21, 2011 00:24

Date: February 21, 2011 00:36

Why even bother answering to someone who in 2011 declares on a rock'n roll site "Who is Jack White?". It's pretty sad.
Yes there are people who have been advocating JW as a producer for years, but IMHO it only now makes sense.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:04

FreeBird
I had never heard of this Jack White until I saw him on the Shine A Light DVD. My first thought was "Is that a man or a woman?" and my second thought was "Is this some kind of joke?"...
I don't get what people see in this guy. He has horrible looks, he has a horrible voice, his whole appearance was altogether horrible. What are supposed to be this guy's saving graces?

That's what they said when the Stones first appeared on TV as well.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:52

Sort of recruit him? In for a penny, in for pound! I'd love to see him produce, assuming there is one, the Stones next album...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 21, 2011 07:37

Do you think they'd let him contribute some guitar? That would be a fine, fine sideman addition to the sorry lot they've got now.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: February 21, 2011 12:41

Koen
FreeBird

I'm not responsible for what "they" said a long time ago. I do see someone whose only (to the best of my knowledge anyway) performance with the band was very underwhelming. That may not necessarily say anything about his skills as a producer, but it certainly doesn't bode well.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: February 21, 2011 16:04

The thing about jack white is that he seems to understand what makes a particular artist unique and amplifies that with his own slight twist. It might get loud really helped me see this. Van Lear Rose is a prime example of JW "getting" the artist. Loretta Lynn sounded so youthful. Obviously the Stones are a bam and not an artist that needs a backing band. Direction and a fresh perspective is what they need. The Stones don't have to be retro. They just need to be themselves. I bet if they don't try to break new musical ground (B2B comes to mind) then they will break new ground. JW's biggest problem would be working w Mick and the fact Keith suggested and KR wants to work w him- the ole Mick vs Keith control issue.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 21, 2011 16:38

FreeBird
Koen
FreeBird

I'm not responsible for what "they" said a long time ago. I do see someone whose only (to the best of my knowledge anyway) performance with the band was very underwhelming. That may not necessarily say anything about his skills as a producer, but it certainly doesn't bode well.

How does it? It doesnt mean a shit!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2011 16:47

Gazza
Always cracks me up to constantly read on here a guy's talents being totally written off based on a one-song guest appearance in a concert movie where the choice of song didnt really suit him, and where the Stones themselves didnt exactly perform to the best of their abilities either.

And what in the name of good Christ has his appearance and singing voice got to do with his ability to produce a record? The irony of A Stones fan slagging off a performer based on looks and vocal technique is lost on some people.

+ 1

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 21, 2011 19:53

nankerphlege
The thing about jack white is that he seems to understand what makes a particular artist unique and amplifies that with his own slight twist. It might get loud really helped me see this. Van Lear Rose is a prime example of JW "getting" the artist. Loretta Lynn sounded so youthful. Obviously the Stones are a bam and not an artist that needs a backing band. Direction and a fresh perspective is what they need. The Stones don't have to be retro. They just need to be themselves. I bet if they don't try to break new musical ground (B2B comes to mind) then they will break new ground. JW's biggest problem would be working w Mick and the fact Keith suggested and KR wants to work w him- the ole Mick vs Keith control issue.

He definetely exploits their strengths...as did Rick Rubin with Jagger...but well ya think Keith has done anything lately to help aleviate that problem?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: February 21, 2011 21:01

One of Ronnie's strengths was to bring people together. Well this could be a good time to For him pull through.

Go Dawgs!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home