Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bob Dylan
Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:46

The greatest! The Picasso of song. I love music & many many bands but once you go Dylan there is no going back. My vast music library seems to be getting such little air time. I hate it in many ways but nobody can touch Bobby. The MEZ needs an intervention!!! What a latter day trilogy: Time Out Of Mind, Love & Theft & Modern Times. How about Dylan's top ten songs what an impossible task? Maybe a top 150. What it must of been like for all the 60's stars to wonder & wait as to what Dylan was going to come up with next. It simple doesn't get any better than Bringing It all Back Home, Blonde On Blonde & Highway 61 Revisited. The Stones big 4 is very close however! Long live Bob Dylan & The Rolling Stones! MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-19 01:48 by The Mez.

Re: OT: Bob Dylan
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:52

No one like The Zim. Blonde on Blonde is like Exile. I am always hearing new things in it, and I never get tired of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-19 08:37 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 19, 2010 08:35

...Dylan is my idol but Cash American Label recordings beats Dylans latter day trilogi by miles..

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 19, 2010 08:38

Have to agree all the way w/ Come On ..the American recordings are astounding

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 19, 2010 09:22

The Mez
What a latter day trilogy: Time Out Of Mind, Love & Theft & Modern Times. How about Dylan's top ten songs what an impossible task? MEZ

Just thinking doing a best of collection of the post-TIME OUT OF MIND Dylan... It's going to be a helluva album... The "Picasso of song" really can paint some incredible songs...

- Doxa

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: August 19, 2010 09:47

I'd love to hear what you select as a "best of" comp from 97 - to present Doxa. Post it here when you make the final selections. Just don't leave of When the Deal Goes Down. It took The MEZ a little while to really get it, but damn what a song! MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-19 09:48 by The Mez.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 19, 2010 14:35

The Mez
The Picasso of song.

A great description by Leonard Cohen. And he should know.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 19, 2010 17:29

Come On
...Dylan is my idol but Cash American Label recordings beats Dylans latter day trilogi by miles..

Time Out Of Mind aside, I agree with you.

Date: August 20, 2010 08:53

Yeah, and it's of course a good Idea to put together a 14-song-CD from Dylans albums starting from 'Time Out of Mind'even if Johnny had more of a voice on his latter records...smoking smiley

Can something from his Christmas album take some space on that compilation CD?
I think so, but just one...

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 20, 2010 09:42

I couldn't get it down to 14, unless the compilation excluded Tell Tale Signs.

Date: August 20, 2010 10:10

Yeah, you're right there..it's 6 new very good tracks on that one...

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 20, 2010 10:30

The trilogy started with Love & Theft. Time out of mind is a standalone album. Was finished by Lanois while Dylan was in hospital. Dylan said he would have mixed it different and he also palys completly different versions of theses songs live (with the exception of Love sich, Cold irons bound & Highlands). Tell Tale Signs has a few good new numbers but mostly is just alternate versions, or released songs from movies etc.
To compile a best of of the later years is nearly impossible, so many outstanding tracks and not really hitpicks. I tried but after I went through L&T I had nine songs on my list.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:07

Time out of mind may not be part of a loose trilogy but it's where his 'comeback' begins. By Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong Bob had lost his songwriting mojo and he got it back with Time Out of Mind. It's packed with excellent songs, my favourites are Love Sick, Tryin' to Get to Heaven, Not Dark Yet and Cold Irons Bound.

Love and Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life are all excellent. There are very people his age (Ian Hunter perhaps) who could come up with something as wonderful as Workingman Blues ("The buyin' power of the proletariat's gone down, Money's gettin' shallow and weak").

I have to say that each has tracks where his unique voice just sounds too bad· Let's face it if he were a new artist he'd never get signed.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:49

Braincapers
Time out of mind may not be part of a loose trilogy but it's where his 'comeback' begins. By Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong Bob had lost his songwriting mojo and he got it back with Time Out of Mind. It's packed with excellent songs, my favourites are Love Sick, Tryin' to Get to Heaven, Not Dark Yet and Cold Irons Bound.

Love and Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life are all excellent. There are very people his age (Ian Hunter perhaps) who could come up with something as wonderful as Workingman Blues ("The buyin' power of the proletariat's gone down, Money's gettin' shallow and weak").

I have to say that each has tracks where his unique voice just sounds too bad· Let's face it if he were a new artist he'd never get signed.

I agree with that! But I won´t put Together through life equal to Love & Theft and Modern Times beacuse it happened really accidentially.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 21, 2010 06:05

The Mez
I love music & many many bands but once you go Dylan there is no going back.

wise words from the MEZ.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: September 2, 2010 11:24

Interesting article on the upcoming Bootleg Series:

Rolling Stone

Obviously they nearly would have released a Supper Club 93 CD+DVD but then chose to reslease the Witmark Tapes instead... incomprehensible to me, but there you are smiling smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 2, 2010 13:31

Braincapers
Time out of mind may not be part of a loose trilogy but it's where his 'comeback' begins.

You think so? Looking back, I'd say it started with "Dignity."

Sort of like the Stones Golden Age began with JJF, and not Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 2, 2010 14:17

'Dignity' was already five years old when he released it, though.

Its an 'Oh mercy' outtake (with a drum overdub, if I remember right)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 2, 2010 14:24

GET YOUR DYLAN BOOTLEG AT AMAZON FOR EXCLUSIVE FREEBIE

Bob Dylan's forthcoming Bootleg Series Vol. 9: The Whitmark Demos will come with a notable bonus, if you buy the set from Amazon: A previously unknown live recording of Dylan. Taped May 1, 1963 at Brandeis University's First Annual Folk Festival, the tape sat in the archives of Rolling Stone co-founder Ralph Gleason's collection for over 40 years. "It had been forgotten, until it was found last year in the clearing of the house after my mother died," says Ralph's son Toby Gleason. "It's a seven-inch reel-to-reel that sounds like it was taped from the mixing disc. A collector/dealer associate of the family said 'This might be worth something to the Dylan office' and we sold it to them last year."

Dylan has been releasing Bootleg Series concerts for 12 years, but this is the first time a previously uncirculated show has hit the market. Gleason has no idea how his father - who died in 1975 - came into possession of the tape, which was first reported by the online Dylan fanzine Isis. "My father had nothing to do with that Brandeis show," he says. "I suspect he got the tape from Bob himself or from one of the people in Bob's organization. My father was one of the nationally credited writers that wrote about Bob the most, and they became close."

The disc won't be sold in stores, but will be delivered to everyone who buys the eight-disc Mono Recordings box set or the next Bootleg Series through Amazon. - Rolling Stone.com

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home