Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Why is it such a big deal for the Stones to get on the road?
Posted by: TheBoss918 ()
Date: February 7, 2011 21:59

Hi All! LONG time lurker, but first time poster. Glad to be here!

Anyhow, I've been following all the tour threads, but I wanted to ask you your spin on something I haven't seen talked about before: why is it such a big deal to get the Stones to tour?

I understand that they are a huge act, but it seems like Mick and Keith have to have these huge meetings, and then the 4 of them have a ton more meetings in the following months. It seems to us outsiders (or at least to me) that a planning a Stones tour is a long, painful process. My question is: why?

When Bruce wants to tour, or U2, or McCartney (acts that seem on the same size audience-wise), it seems that things run smoothly. It just seems like they just want to get out there and play. I'm sure we don't know a lot of what happens behind the scenes for these other artists, but it never seems like a long, drawn-out process.

So what is the difference between the Stones and these other acts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-07 23:06 by TheBoss918.

Re: Why is it such a big deal for the Stones to get on the road?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2011 22:18

Any lengthy tour of large venues takes a long time to plan and co-ordinate, regardless of who it is.

However, you make a good point that the other acts 'just want to get out there and play'. The Stones dont seem to be motivated to do that together at all unless there are considerable financial incentives for doing so (they havent done a single public gig out of the confines of a tour since 1979). More proof that they've simply grown apart down the decades and are more a corporation than a working band.

Additionally, they HAVE been involved in the entertainment business for a very long time and in many ways its quite natural for multi-millionaires of pensionable age to want to take it easy when they get older. There's a tendency to romanticise the lot of an ageing musician by comparing them to old blues guys who preceded them and performed until they dropped - but those guys more often NEEDED to work to pay the bills. To me, there's little comparison in reality.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 7, 2011 22:26

Macca is a bit older than Mick and Keith and wealthier (more than doubble the fortune of either Keith or Mick), but he is still active on the road and in the studio. I know Macca has younger musicians, but Macca hasn't finished being active.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 7, 2011 22:47

I admire Macca so much, as he has got so much go and get on with it than The Stones.When anyone has got more than a million dollars,pounds or euros,you have got enough for any person or family in this world.Doing what you wan't to do is gonna be an easy thing and if you got the talent of The Stones, The Who,Macca and the rest of 'em you either wan't to do it, or not.The Who,Paul McCartney and a few others do it quite often for the fans..............and the money.The Stones just do not satisfy their fanbase in getting in touch, and saying what is going on.Sad but true. smoking smileyconfused smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 7, 2011 22:55

I hope for something much smaller than a Arena-Tour next time...

The Rolling Stones Circus Tour 2012

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 7, 2011 22:59

Well, there is the new pin-ball machine?

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: February 7, 2011 23:16

mtaylor
Macca is a bit older than Mick and Keith and wealthier (more than doubble the fortune of either Keith or Mick), but he is still active on the road and in the studio. I know Macca has younger musicians, but Macca hasn't finished being active.

Yeah, I admire him too, the guy just seems SO balanced (especially considering what he's been through with all the pre-mature, horrible death (John, Linda, George, Mal Evans, etc) that's surrounded him and all the other bad sh*t - Heather, etc). I think he see's music as something he can count on, it's always been there for him. I also think he feels it's his responsibility to keep the Beatles legend alive (it's either Macca or Ringo.... enough said) and looked at by the rest of the world as the top level class act they always were. Don't know how the guy's made it this far without a lot more demons - very rare. More power to him, he's amazing !!!

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 7, 2011 23:28

"Why is it such a big deal for the Stones to get on the road?"

Because they're pushing 70. Because they don't much like each other. Because they have no artistic muse anymore. Because they have nothing to prove. Because they have more mney than god. I could go on but you get the point.

At this juncture, every day they don't work makes it all the more likely they never will.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: February 7, 2011 23:43

To answer the question on Stones Tours.... I think that, especially Jagger, wants to have the top tour of all times and now the band would have to top the last U2 Tour with that giant, silly STAR WARS stage and all. He's (Mick's) painted himself into this corner where he can't downsize. The stage for the last tour was just crazy huge and complicated, at some point it has to stop - he doesn't know how, he's trapped. My other theory is that Mick's had it with Keith and the book (and to a lesser degree with Ronnie's behaviour) and just said "F*ck it, that's it, I'm not that young" Wants to enjoy the rest of his life (or Keith's playing has really gone down hill since the head injury, he doesn't seem to jam with anyone, anywhere these days)....of course Charlie can go either way, tour or no tour....he's got his horses

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 8, 2011 00:32

Nobody ever mentions the question of insurance on this board. Because any Stones tour is a huge financial investment for promoters the risks of accident and ill health loom very large with band members nearing 70 with the obvious (to anyone not blinded by the legend that is nuclear proof Keef) risks. Despite the bs that Keith passes every medical with flying colours, I would be amazed if underwriters aren't now taking heavy claw backs from principals for the sorts of pay outs which must have been occasioned by cancelled shows last tour - not only Keith but Mick's throat problems. Frankly, Keith must be virtually uninsurable now and Ronnie much the same until he's been sober way longer than the current few months.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 8, 2011 00:43

Macca is older than The Stones,and a couple of members of The Who.Both equal(in my opinion)in music status to our lads ,but no problems there in doing tours or one offs(100 Club,HMV Apollo etc) when they feel like it.Insurance applys to them as well, and that doesn't stop them .What's the Big Deal????????? spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmoking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 8, 2011 00:47

because I,as a stones fan, would love to see them again before they drop dead.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 8, 2011 01:35

Yes, I agree. They owe it to me, because I have invested a lot of money in their CD's and records, and in travelling all over the place to see them in concert. They need to realize their fans are very loyal and need a Stones fix about every three years.

Date: February 8, 2011 01:40

Lady Jayne
Nobody ever mentions the question of insurance on this board. Because any Stones tour is a huge financial investment for promoters the risks of accident and ill health loom very large with band members nearing 70 with the obvious (to anyone not blinded by the legend that is nuclear proof Keef) risks. Despite the bs that Keith passes every medical with flying colours, I would be amazed if underwriters aren't now taking heavy claw backs from principals for the sorts of pay outs which must have been occasioned by cancelled shows last tour - not only Keith but Mick's throat problems. Frankly, Keith must be virtually uninsurable now and Ronnie much the same until he's been sober way longer than the current few months.

Its certainly something a few of us brought up a year or so ago when there was talk of them touring around the same time that Ronnie appeared to be drunkenly tottering one way down Oblivion Street.

Your points are spot on, but saying that there wouldnt be much in the way of insurance cover needed for a short tour with lesser overheads than normal.

Date: February 8, 2011 01:41

flilflam
Yes, I agree. They owe it to me, because I have invested a lot of money in their CD's and records, and in travelling all over the place to see them in concert. They need to realize their fans are very loyal and need a Stones fix about every three years.

Brilliant!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 8, 2011 01:52

Lady Jayne, I have mentioned the insurance issue quite a few times and I think it's a valid concern...you have Ronnie who is iffy at best and Keith who relies on Blondie to play his leads! I think Mick is being cautious and smart and someone said this already but I believe it just is NOT fun anymore for them. Too much of a nasty ordeal, with personalities that just don't mesh anymore. I am now leaning towards no more tours. I may have seen my last show in Sept of 2006.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 8, 2011 02:01

they should look into esurance or one of these outfits that'll insure anyone...or this guy, fred, down the block here...he'll insure anyone and with just a handshake....

Date: February 8, 2011 02:19

mickschix
Lady Jayne, I have mentioned the insurance issue quite a few times and I think it's a valid concern...you have Ronnie who is iffy at best and Keith who relies on Blondie to play his leads! I think Mick is being cautious and smart and someone said this already but I believe it just is NOT fun anymore for them. Too much of a nasty ordeal, with personalities that just don't mesh anymore. I am now leaning towards no more tours. I may have seen my last show in Sept of 2006.

No he doesnt, Debra.

Date: February 8, 2011 02:24

Gazza
mickschix

No he doesnt, Debra.

that's right - woody plays keef's leads - blondie plays his rhythm parts.

Date: February 8, 2011 02:26

StonesTod
Gazza
mickschix

No he doesnt, Debra.

that's right - woody plays keef's leads - blondie plays his rhythm parts.

Now yer talkin'....

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 8, 2011 02:40

I guess that means that you won't be able to focus in on the musician cam for Keith.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 8, 2011 02:43

flilflam

Just how I feel. I agree 100%

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 8, 2011 03:06

Simple........lack of will.................

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2011 03:10

Can't get the truck drivers outta the pub .....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 8, 2011 03:21

pgarof
flilflam

I thought he was taking the piss with that comment...

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: February 8, 2011 03:23

I think they've all had a lot of other distractions going on since the last tour. I think they'd like to have a CD ready. And I think there could be disagreements on what kind of tour they want to do, not to mention who to work with. I think they need to go for short-term, small tours that are easy to plan and get out of before time runs out on them. Unfortunately, time is no longer on our side.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: February 8, 2011 03:27

Gazza
pgarof
flilflam

I thought he was taking the piss with that comment...

...then the joke's on him...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 8, 2011 04:28

another issue that separate the Stones from Brooce and Paul McCartney (who I believe is this "Macca" of whom ye fanboys drool) is that the Stones are a band, and so all 4 of them (ok, 3 and then ron) have to agree. If Paul wants to tour, his people tour.

Date: February 8, 2011 04:46

cc
another issue that separate the Stones from Brooce and Paul McCartney (who I believe is this "Macca" of whom ye fanboys drool) is that the Stones are a band, and so all 4 of them (ok, 3 and then ron) have to agree. If Paul wants to tour, his people tour.

but he can't just wing it anymore....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 8, 2011 05:33

I have a modest proposal: For one week, no one start a thread whining about the Stones not touring, or speculating that they are going to tour with no new actual evidence ("done deal;" not withstanding). These threads have all been variations on the same unsanswerable question, so why keep doing it? It has approached a level of superficiality and meaninglessness that is getting hard to take.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home