Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Top 5 Replacements Songs
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 17, 2010 22:14

Hey, everyone else is doing it!

The band that defines "underrated". The ONLY other band to really capture the Stones' spirit of smart, clever, rebellious 2-guitar rock & roll at its best (certainly more than the Grateful Frickin' Dead!). Plus, Westerberg often played in open G. So let's give the 'Mats their due:

1. Alex Chilton
2. Left Of The Dial
3. Bastards of Young
4. I Don't Know
5. Gary's Got A Boner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-17 22:15 by 71Tele.

Re: OT: Top 5 Replacements Songs
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 17, 2010 22:30

Okay, I'll bite, though choosing five only will be tough:

Can't Hardly Wait (to be played at my funeral)
Left of the Dial
Favorite Thing
Darlin' One
Unsatisfied

Date: August 17, 2010 22:37

andrewm
Okay, I'll bite, though choosing five only will be tough:

Can't Hardly Wait (to be played at my funeral)
Left of the Dial
Favorite Thing
Darlin' One
Unsatisfied

All good ones!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 18, 2010 00:36

I'll Be You
Kiss Me On The Bus
Talent Show
We're Coming Out
Unsatisfied

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:31

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:39

The Ledge
IOU
Unsatisfied
Bastards Of Young
Answering Machine

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 18, 2010 05:26

I Will Dare
Answering Machine
Bastards of Young
Color Me Impressed
Can't Hardly Wait

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: August 18, 2010 08:18

Never Mind
Gary's Got a Boner
Can't Hardly Wait
Androgynous
Here Comes A Regular

(impossible to pick 5. the fact that these 5 made the list means nothing. there are at least 10 other tunes that belong in the top 5)

Date: August 18, 2010 08:21

saulsurvivor
Never Mind
Gary's Got a Boner
Can't Hardly Wait
Androgynous
Here Comes A Regular

(impossible to pick 5. the fact that these 5 made the list means nothing. there are at least 10 other tunes that belong in the top 5)

Well, saul we disagree on so much and come together on The 'Mats. I'll take it.

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: August 18, 2010 18:45

1. Can't Hardly Wait
2. Left of the Dial
3. I Will Dare
4. The Last
5. Valentine

Date: August 18, 2010 18:49

I will add:

Skyway
Merry Go Round
When It Began
I.O.U.
Portland

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: August 18, 2010 20:05

This is hard. Not best, but favourites:

Takin' A Ride
Love You Til Friday
Stuck in The Middle
Left of the Dial
IOU

Bonus: Lovelines (the first song of theirs I heard, just before Let It Be came out)

Should be Considered: Sixteen Blue

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 18, 2010 20:52

I like Waitress in the Sky.

Date: August 18, 2010 20:53

Yeah, so many great ones. 71Tele, nice choice with Portland, the end of which of course morphed into Talent Show. Great to hear Paul intone at the end, "Portland, we're sorry", which referred to the last time they had played there and hijinks had ensued.

....And I for one have plenty of love for Westerberg's solo work, which seems to have gotten pretty short shrift in the press. Anyone check out the songs he did for the animated kids flick Open Season a few years ago ? Meet Me in the Meadow struck me as the best P.W. pop song in years, just put it on a summer mix disc th'other day.

Date: August 18, 2010 22:05

andrewm
Yeah, so many great ones. 71Tele, nice choice with Portland, the end of which of course morphed into Talent Show. Great to hear Paul intone at the end, "Portland, we're sorry", which referred to the last time they had played there and hijinks had ensued.

....And I for one have plenty of love for Westerberg's solo work, which seems to have gotten pretty short shrift in the press. Anyone check out the songs he did for the animated kids flick Open Season a few years ago ? Meet Me in the Meadow struck me as the best P.W. pop song in years, just put it on a summer mix disc th'other day.

My favorite Westerberg solo is "Mono", credited to "Grandpaboy". It first rumored to be a Replacements reunion, then apparently Stinson had to deny involvement in order not to piss off Axl Rose. Great little rock & roll songs on Grandpaboy. Ten minor classics.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 18, 2010 23:14

andrewm

I really liked the Open Season soundtrack. I feel the same way about Love You In The Fall that you do about Meet Me In The Meadow. Altho the later is a good song too.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 18, 2010 23:16

71Tele
andrewm

My favorite Westerberg solo is "Mono", credited to "Grandpaboy". It first rumored to be a Replacements reunion, then apparently Stinson had to deny involvement in order not to piss off Axl Rose. Great little rock & roll songs on Grandpaboy. Ten minor classics.

I agree. I've loved Mono to death since it came out. I saw Westerberg on that tour and he signed my copy of Mono.

Date: August 19, 2010 00:28

Yep, Love You in the Fall is great, ohno, and I love Right to Arm Bears as well. Seen PW twice as a solo artist, w/ band, and it was great both times. I got him to sign my ticket stub way back in '87 after a 'Mats gig and he signed it "Paul Homely".

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 19, 2010 00:49

Have any of you listened to Tommy Womack's ode to the band surprisedly entitled "The Replacements" on his CIRCUS TOWN cd?? He really brings his experiences of seeing the band to life in an amusing,entertaining way...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2010 00:51

Grandpa Boy --------- Vampires & Failures

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:01

Skyway is one of the most touching songs ever.

Date: August 19, 2010 03:02

My Paul Westerberg Story:

Went to his show in Phoenix a few years ago. Got there early so I could stand right in front of his amp as I had in Seattle a few nights earlier. (From that perspective I could see his whole guitar/amps/pedal setup and also watch him play in those amazing tunings). Anyway, in between songs he starts to complain about how you can't smoke on stage (fire code or local ordinance). He proceeds to light one up, then leans forward, gives ME the pack and his matches, and says "pass 'em around!". I don't smoke, but I almost started right then and there.

The show was smoking with great versions of many Replacements songs. I think the drummer he had (very large black man) went on to play with McCartney. It was Westerberg at his most Replacement-like since the band broke up.

Quite possibly the most underrated rock guitarist of all time. Because he sings at the same time and doesn't make a fuss of his guitar playing, you don't realize how good he really is.

Date: August 19, 2010 04:10

I saw the opening night of that tour with Michael Bland on drums (who also payed w/ Prince among others) in Vancouver and, yeah, it was great. Opened with Merry Go Round and closed with Can't Hardly Wait, if I recall. Great version of I Think I Love You in there, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-19 04:13 by andrewm.

Date: August 19, 2010 08:40

andrewm
I saw the opening night of that tour with Michael Bland on drums (who also payed w/ Prince among others) in Vancouver and, yeah, it was great. Opened with Merry Go Round and closed with Can't Hardly Wait, if I recall. Great version of I Think I Love You in there, too.

That's right! Michael Bland. Merry Go Round is in open E tuning, and a real bitch to play, let alone play and sing. I've been playing for 35 years and the chord shapes Westerberg comes up with are far more complex than anything Keith has done in open G.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home