Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Roxy Music kicks off their tour
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 25, 2011 02:15

It starts in Newcastle the 25th of January...

Re: OT: Roxy Music kicks off their tour
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 25, 2011 02:18

noughties

Gonna see 'em at the O2 on 7 Feb, dunno what to expect really ? Good, bad, in-between ? Not the biggest Roxy fan there ever was by any means.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 25, 2011 07:30

paulywaul
noughties

Gonna see 'em at the O2 on 7 Feb, dunno what to expect really ? Good, bad, in-between ? Not the biggest Roxy fan there ever was by any means.

Going as well. I saw clips of their shows last year and they sounded great.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:13

I too am a casual fan. I like their albums with Eno, and 'Avalon', but I'm pretty spotty on the rest of their stuff.

Anyhow, I saw them on their reunion tour about 5 or 6 years ago, and they were excellent. It was a fantastic show.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:35

I've seen them a couple of times and I really hope they add some U.S. dates this year.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:57

PLEASE write reviews & setlists if possible....wish I could be there.... peterstupar.com for some pix from the past

Date: January 25, 2011 14:35

Keefan
I too am a casual fan. I like their albums with Eno, and 'Avalon', but I'm pretty spotty on the rest of their stuff.

Anyhow, I saw them on their reunion tour about 5 or 6 years ago, and they were excellent. It was a fantastic show.

Stranded, Country Life, Siren and Manifesto are all great albums. Stranded is Eno's favourite - the one they made after he left.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 25, 2011 14:52

paulywaul
noughties

Bryan Ferry (solo) is the only one of my favourites I've seen live and he was wonderful (where are the italics? Read that in italics). Roxy's Live At The Apollo DVD from 2001 is just as good.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 25, 2011 15:00

Hello,

I'll be at the M.E.N. Arena this Sunday to see them so there is a risk of shoddy photos and a barely-literate write-up the day after, hah-hah!

While I'm here, please do check out the link in my signature...I'm looking for generous Stones fans!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 25, 2011 15:52

Let's hope they stick to the first 4 or 5 albums. They really went off the boil with that schmaltzy middle of the road coke rock towards the end.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:05

Couldn't agree more with that sentiment!

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:51

That period (the first four and a half albums, plus singles) is my favourite but they did did some great things later, like Avalon, which is what the eighties should have sounded like.

Oh Yeah was maybe the highlight of the Bryan Ferry concert I was at.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 25, 2011 22:22

Roxy Music is a wonderful live act, saw them in 2001 and they were the best concert of that year. Also Bryan Ferry is solo live in concert, very good.

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: January 25, 2011 23:40

Don't care much for Ferry's solo stuff but in a Moxy Music context, the guy becomes transformed.

Saw them in 2001 and they were superb.

Date: January 26, 2011 20:00

A great night in Newcastle with a brand new setlist:

Tuesday 25th January 2011 : Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

India (Tape, for walk on) - The Main Thing - Street Life - Pyjamarama - If There Is Something - Same Old Scene - Just Like You - Amazona - 2HB - Like A Hurricane - Tara - Bitter Sweet - Sentimental Fool - Prairie Rose - My Only Love - Avalon - Virginia Plain - Love Is The Drug - Editions Of You - Do The Strand - Jealous Guy - For Your Pleasure.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:32

noughties

India (Tape, for walk on) - The Main Thing - Street Life - Pyjamarama - If There Is Something - Same Old Scene - Just Like You - Amazona - 2HB - Like A Hurricane - Tara - Bitter Sweet - Sentimental Fool - Prairie Rose - My Only Love - Avalon - Virginia Plain - Love Is The Drug - Editions Of You - Do The Strand - Jealous Guy - For Your Pleasure.

That's a pretty good setlist that should appease both the glam rockers and the 80s smoothie fans. Great to see Pyjamarama, Amazona, Bitter Sweet, Prairie Rose, and For Your Pleasure in there. Wish they'd do Sea Breezes and In Every Dream Home A Heartache. Maybe as the tour progresses they'll be more daring and change the set.

Date: January 26, 2011 23:55

Bring back "The Bogus Man".

Date: January 27, 2011 00:36

noughties

Thanks for posting this. Like A Hurricane will be the designated pissbreak song. The version from Heart Still Beating is dire.

Great - and not obvious - set otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 00:37 by Nikolai.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 27, 2011 00:41

Very nice set-list. I'm very jealous. (I last saw Roxy on the "Love Is The Drug" tour in New York City circa 1974).

How was the overall presentation? How many sidemen / back-up singers? Was Ferry in top vocal form? Were they animated or boringly staid? How was the light show, if any? Was the sound too loud or too low?

Date: January 27, 2011 14:25

Well, I wish I knew. Your questions seem very relevant. Animated or boringly staid? Yes, veteran rockers as they are, there`s a risk of this. Interestingly, they were only 8 musicians on stage, the rest were female back-up singers and dancers. The light show was said to be fine, apart from leaving some musicians in shadow, depending on where you sat. The sound got mixed reception, Bryan`s vocals too. Great background visuals reminicent of 70s Top of the Pops.

Here`s the tour musicians:

Bryan Ferry Vocals
Andy Mackay Saxophone & Oboe
Phil Manzanera Guitar
Paul Thompson Drums
Colin Good Piano
Oliver Thompson Guitar
Jerry Meehan Bass
Sewuese Abwa Vocals
Aleysha Gordon Vocals
Hannah Kemoh Vocals
Jorja Chalmers Keyboards & 2nd Saxophone

Date: January 28, 2011 05:23

First Glascow show had the same setlist + Let`s Stick Together.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 28, 2011 06:37

Wow, that set-list looks fantastic! "Bitter-Sweet", "Prairie Rose", nice chunk of STRANDED ... I hope they had some Southeastern US dates. What's up with those winery dates down under? Sounds very intriguing!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2011 12:05

Ferry is a pretty good Harp-player...Hope their passing Sweden as well....

2 1 2 0

Date: January 28, 2011 12:15

Too bad there are no "Manifesto" cuts. Even the "Flesh & Blood" album has two numbers in the setlist.
No "Both Ends Burning", no "Bogus Man". No Brian Eno.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 28, 2011 22:50

great band and a great show. bryan ferry is quite brilliant IMO. his solo work has a "sultriness" that the women love in the throws of passion.

Date: January 29, 2011 17:29

Another great night in Glasgow. Let Stick Together was dropped, and replaced by To Turn Your On.

Date: January 29, 2011 18:28

Glam Descendant
Wow, that set-list looks fantastic! "Bitter-Sweet", "Prairie Rose", nice chunk of STRANDED ... I hope they had some Southeastern US dates. What's up with those winery dates down under? Sounds very intriguing!

Not sure if this Roxy tour will extend beyond these shores. Ferry is playing solo dates in the summer.

Date: January 29, 2011 20:17

Looking forward to Roxy at the O2. Review of the opening show:

Roxy Music – review
Newcastle Arena
3 / 5

Dave Simpson
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 26 January 2011 18.55 GMT

Roxy Music's 1972 debut album is one of a handful to lay genuine claim to having been the sound of the future. Amid genre-busting, dazzling explosions of the possibilities of what was still, at heart, rock'n'roll, Bryan Ferry sang a futuristic vision of human beings as numbers and existential alienation, and it was all impossibly chic.

Nostalgia was also always part of the deal, Ferry's wistful longing for the lost world of early Hollywood glamour a key facet of his lyrics. But few, least of all Roxy themselves, would have imagined that four decades later they would be playing a glorified aircraft hangar up the road from Ferry's Washington birthplace, that the bald pates in the audience would be the only visual reminder of their peacock-feathered synthesiser genius Brian Eno, or that they would be joining rock's revival circuit at a futuristic £65 a ticket.

Some of their ideas still sound astonishingly radical: Andy Mackay's use of oboe as lead instrument, Phil Manzanera's edge-of-your-seat guitar soloing through entire songs. A huge screen collides today's veterans against iconography and special effects reminiscent of a 1973 Top of the Pops. The dazzling visual collage means only fleeting glimpses reveal that Ferry's barnet is vulnerable to the same sweaty stresses as mere mortals, or that Mackay is starting to resemble former BBC anchorman Peter Sissons.

The setlist underlines Eno's oft-repeated comment that their 1972 debut opened Roxy to any number of directions. There's glam country (Prairie Rose), disco-era ennui (Same Old Scene), spooky piano atmospherics (For Your Pleasure), rollicking pre-punk travelogues (a blistering Editions of You) and perhaps too many dull later 1970s album tracks. The more obvious titans of the back catalogue, such as Ladytron and In Every Dream Home a Heartache, are ignored in favour of unexpected treats, including 1973's funky Amazona.

Ferry says little apart from an incongruous "Heyy!" There are grins on stage, but the expected party atmosphere never quite gets going. Part of the problem is a distorting, echoey sound system, which turns the busier songs (and at times, criminally, Ferry's luscious croon) to mush. Sentimental Fool, in particular, sounds like an orchestra doing a tune-up.

Somehow, Ferry's ageless cool and the more minimal songs survive it all. If There Is Something and the heartfelt Bogart homage 2HB are spine-tingling, Do the Strand a hurtling collision of melancholy, euphoria and saxophone – tantalising glimpses of why these middle-aged men performing in a grey shed were, for a long time, the best band on the planet.

[www.guardian.co.uk]
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2011

Date: January 29, 2011 20:57

noughties
Another great night in Glasgow. Let Stick Together was dropped, and replaced by To Turn Your On.

AND it was a GOOD MOVE to do Jealous Guy BEFORE this superb final five in the setlist: Virginia Plain - Love Is The Drug - Editions Of You - Do The Strand - For Your Pleasure

Jealous Guy in the midst of those five - as it was in the first two shows - is a sure way to kill their flow and momentum. I know they won't do it, but I'm probably in a minority of one who'd be more than happy if they dropped Jealous Guy altogether.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 29, 2011 22:14

"jealous guy" keep it. play all of "avalon" and call me happy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home