Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
What Are The Main Reasons So Many Think The Stones Are Finished?
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:04

Many around here appear to be of the opinion that the Stones gave their last live performance in late August of 2007 when the band concluded their last world tour. What are the primary reasons so many believe this to be true? Do *you* believe it to be true? If so, please explain.

Re: What Are The Main Reasons So Many Think The Stones Are Finished?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:13

From my point of view the Stones were finished as a rockband back in 1982. Between 1983 and 1989 they didn't exist as a group. From 1989 and forwards they are a revival-band, touring every fourth year when the money is right and Mick wants to.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:14

Because their main characters are not creative anymore
and are not keen on playing shows.

Ronnie is working a lot and is maybe touring with the Faces.
Charlie is touring in spring.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:30

Lack of creativity / production. Focus on other things than music.
Keith's "arthritis problems" on his index finger.

Mick not being able to act on stage like before => doesn't want to tour anymore. Mick's voice becomming weaker => doesn't want to tour anymore.

Date: January 27, 2011 22:37

mtaylor

Mick not being able to act on stage like before => doesn't want to tour anymore. Mick's voice becomming weaker => doesn't want to tour anymore.

OK. Good enough reasons, but why hasn't he just come out and said he doesn't want to tour anymore? And why did he tell Larry King in May that he is looking forward to touring again?

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:38

Age, they are close to 70. The last show at O2 arena in London had the feel of a final bow. The kids on stage for Sympathy etc.

Date: January 27, 2011 22:39

Stoneage
From my point of view the Stones were finished as a rockband back in 1982. Between 1983 and 1989 they didn't exist as a group. From 1989 and forwards they are a revival-band, touring every fourth year when the money is right and Mick wants to.

So do you see them ever performing live again?

Date: January 27, 2011 22:44

georgeV
Age, they are close to 70. The last show at O2 arena in London had the feel of a final bow. The kids on stage for Sympathy etc.

I do remember hearing a rumor shortly after that show that they had told the crews that there would be no more tours. Did you hear anything of this nature?

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:46

For 45 years the 'Stones' have toured and played but Time waits for no one and it wont wait for them.
Age has caught up with them all, some more than others (i.e. Keith,Charlie) and that the motivation to hall themselves back on the road in their late 60's does not appeal to most of the guys.
Their mind may say yes but their bodies are telling them a different story.
Nothing is absolutely certain when it comes to the 'Stones' but it more than likely that London 2007 was indeed the last time.
They can go out with their heads held high and the last thing that 'Stones' fans would wish is another tour in which the critics are able to honestly describe them as well past their sell by date.
The 'Stones' have provided millions of people with many top notch concerts over the last 5 decades but we all have to accept that all good things do come to an end.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:50

I am of the belief that the Stones will never come out and say this may be the last time and they will always retain the right to change their minds, but O2 August 07 had all the feel of a fond farewell. Most of the significant people from the past still on good terms were there - Bill, Marianne, I didn't see Anita on the final night but she was there earlier in the week - and many of the children and grandchildren. I know it was the end of a long tour and home country for 3/4 but it was much more of a family night out than usual, wasn't it? For all Keith's hype and romanticism, Mick and Charlie are realists and at pushing 70 another grueling monster tour is not a reality. I have always thought Mick will wish to perform at the London Olympics, with or without the Stones, but I don't yet see any of the usual preps in place (set design and commission for eg) for a start date for a major tour starting before then.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:51

stonescrow
mtaylor

OK. Good enough reasons, but why hasn't he just come out and said he doesn't want to tour anymore? And why did he tell Larry King in May that he is looking forward to touring again?
Good question, but her's a comment from Charlie about Keith's arthritis problems:

"Band member Charlie Watts recently admitted that playing guitar for Keith had grown increasingly painful, and that Richards himself contemplated calling it quits during the last Stones tour. His wife finally convinced ”Keef” to seek treatment, and the swelling in his digits today, though not entirely gone, is noticeably less, and hopefully that will lead to far less discomfort than Richard’s suffered throughout the last tour."

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:53

stonescrow
Many around here appear to be of the opinion that the Stones gave their last live performance in late August of 2007 when the band concluded their last world tour. What are the primary reasons so many believe this to be true? Do *you* believe it to be true? If so, please explain.

I don't think it matters much, and I am annoyed with people who do. It's foremost a concept and a way of life, and that will never come to an end. I once saw them live, and although that was an interesting experience, it did not add much to my appreciation of the band. Playing live is part of the rock&roll myth, but not really essential to be doing continuously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 22:55 by lsbz.

Date: January 27, 2011 22:53

stones40
For 45 years the 'Stones' have toured and played but Time waits for no one and it wont wait for them.
Age has caught up with them all, some more than others (i.e. Keith,Charlie) and that the motivation to hall themselves back on the road in their late 60's does not appeal to most of the guys.
Their mind may say yes but their bodies are telling them a different story.
Nothing is absolutely certain when it comes to the 'Stones' but it more than likely that London 2007 was indeed the last time.
They can go out with their heads held high and the last thing that 'Stones' fans would wish is another tour in which the critics are able to honestly describe them as well past their sell by date.
The 'Stones' have provided millions of people with many top notch concerts over the last 5 decades but we all have to accept that all good things do come to an end.

Fair enough, but do you think we will get some kind of official announcement anytime soon that they are done?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:56

Nothing is absolutely certain when it comes to the 'Stones'

ROCKMAN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:59

I don't think they are finished but I don't see a major world tour coming as we're used to....maybe 9 months in 2012...starting in MSG January........36 (or so) major cities worldwide (Some multiple nights obviously), live broadcasts from the last city in each area (ie. the US, Europe, Asia etc) and then a massive free show wherever the last show is,,,hopefully Hyde Park in September..........a short, sharp, sweet full stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 23:00 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:01

Lady Jayne
I am of the belief that the Stones will never come out and say this may be the last time and they will always retain the right to change their minds, but O2 August 07 had all the feel of a fond farewell. Most of the significant people from the past still on good terms were there - Bill, Marianne, I didn't see Anita on the final night but she was there earlier in the week - and many of the children and grandchildren. I know it was the end of a long tour and home country for 3/4 but it was much more of a family night out than usual, wasn't it? For all Keith's hype and romanticism, Mick and Charlie are realists and at pushing 70 another grueling monster tour is not a reality. I have always thought Mick will wish to perform at the London Olympics, with or without the Stones, but I don't yet see any of the usual preps in place (set design and commission for eg) for a start date for a major tour starting before then.

She was there on the final night OK! In fact, she was right in front of me in the queue for dinner in the Rattlesnake Inn!

Date: January 27, 2011 23:03

stonescrow
Fair enough, but do you think we will get some kind of official announcement anytime soon that they are done?

No. Not until one of 'em croaks it.

Date: January 27, 2011 23:04

stonescrow
georgeV

I do remember hearing a rumor shortly after that show that they had told the crews that there would be no more tours. Did you hear anything of this nature?

Been hearing that rumour at the end of every tour since '95, in fairness....

Date: January 27, 2011 23:05

stonescrow

What else was he going to say? confused smiley

Date: January 27, 2011 23:09

mtaylor
stonescrow
mtaylor

Good question, but her's a comment from Charlie about Keith's arthritis problems:

"Band member Charlie Watts recently admitted that playing guitar for Keith had grown increasingly painful, and that Richards himself contemplated calling it quits during the last Stones tour. His wife finally convinced ”Keef” to seek treatment, and the swelling in his digits today, though not entirely gone, is noticeably less, and hopefully that will lead to far less discomfort than Richard’s suffered throughout the last tour."

I suffer from one of the various forms of arthritis and can no longer make a complete fist with my right hand. I don't play guitar but can easily imagine how difficult it must be for Keith. The good news is that there are some medicines out there that work well on some forms of arthritis.

Date: January 27, 2011 23:14

Gazza
stonescrow

The truth?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:15

mtaylor
stonescrow
mtaylor

1st I've heard of Keith seeking treatment . I would be surprised if Charlie had discussed it .

sc uk

Date: January 27, 2011 23:16

stonescrow
Gazza
stonescrow

The truth?

[www.iorr.org]

Cant see him making any announcement of that nature on the Larry King Show, while promoting an Exile reissue, can you?

Date: January 27, 2011 23:17

straycatuk
mtaylor
stonescrow
mtaylor

1st I've heard of Keith seeking treatment . I would be surprised if Charlie had discussed it .

sc uk

Wasnt it more or less established that this quote was a bit of 'inventive journalism'? Supposedly he said it to several journalists, yet none of them reported it....

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:22

mtaylor
stonescrow
mtaylor

Why on earth wouldn't he have gotten treatment 10 years ago or more?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:25

there is no cure for arthritis....period. if you got it in your knees or hip joints, you can replace those. so far, they haven't gotten the knuckle replacements deal worked out....

and it only worsens, it never gets better....

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:26

I would say (or as Keith once said "welcome to the second half") since '89 they were more of a nostalgia band.

It's not easy to watch when Keith can only play guitar for one song during his set (i.e. You Got The Silver, just stands and sings).

No matter what Mick said on Larry King back in May would be relevant today because that was then, this is now.

They have set the bar and would want to go out with their highest grossing tour to date but economic times won't support it.

I doubt they would go into the studio and do one final album, why bother it wouldn't get much airplay.

I don't see them wanting to be like Chuck Berry playing in their 80's.

Charlie didn't want to go on the last tour and didn't he once say that no more after that.

The issue isn't so much them no longer touring or calling it a day as a band, it's the reality that we, the fans, are losing a part of what we grew up with. I'm 56 and the first single I purchased was Time Is On My Side so I have fond memories of them thru the years. Mick's never gonna go out there and hump and rip his belt into the stage during Midnight Rambler.

Personally, I think they should have called it a day after the Licks Tour.

Date: January 27, 2011 23:27

EddieByword
I don't think they are finished but I don't see a major world tour coming as we're used to....maybe 9 months in 2012...starting in MSG January........36 (or so) major cities worldwide (Some multiple nights obviously), live broadcasts from the last city in each area (ie. the US, Europe, Asia etc) and then a massive free show wherever the last show is,,,hopefully Hyde Park in September..........a short, sharp, sweet full stop.

Agreed. Things will definitely have to be scaled back this time around.

Date: January 27, 2011 23:30

Rockman
Nothing is absolutely certain when it comes to the 'Stones'

Like sort of a lifetime "guessing game" that never ends!

Date: January 27, 2011 23:35

Gazza
stonescrow
Gazza
stonescrow

The truth?

[www.iorr.org]

Cant see him making any announcement of that nature on the Larry King Show, while promoting an Exile reissue, can you?

Good point. Probably not.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home