Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Dime - why am I being banned from downloading
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 14, 2010 15:05

the message in my profile says: SRE currently blocking new downloads

It is b/c I haven't uploaded any torrents? I have nothing to share. In the past I have left my program open for seeding for at least a day.

thanks for any info.

Re: OT - Dime - why am I being banned from downloading
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 14, 2010 15:21

You must share at least at a ratio of 1:1, so keep on sharing until you shared more than you downloaded.

"I have nothing to share" yes you do, you share what you downloaded.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-14 15:23 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: August 14, 2010 15:34

I seed for at least a week - depends if I still have uploaders, gotta keep ya ratio up.

Date: August 14, 2010 16:04

Thanks, but now that I'm banned, how can I go about getting back on the site so that I can download again, to increase my ratio?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 14, 2010 16:29

You can't. If you don't help other people getting the music by seeding what you've downloaded, than good riddance to you

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: August 14, 2010 16:49

My Dime ratio has slipped well below 1:1 (.76 to be honest*), but I can still download. Super-shitty ratios might get banned.

(*: It's 1.52 at Hunger City, though!)

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 14, 2010 16:55

Erik_Snow
You can't. If you don't help other people getting the music by seeding what you've downloaded, than good riddance to you

Rather blunt to say it that way, Erik. It happened also to me, being unaware what the problem was. By now I know how things work and my uploading starts the moment I start my PC at home. A warning or a second chanche (f.i. after a temporary ban) would be a better way to deal with newbies. In most cases it's not a matter of unwillingness but of ignorance. Well, I have to admit that one could reproach those ignorant newbies not having studied the rules well enough. But a definite ban seems to hard a punishment for that crime to me.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 14, 2010 17:13

The worst mistake a newbie can make with torrent sites is falling into "the kid in the candy store" trap = DLing as much stuff as you can, thinking that you'll "give back later".
In fact your ratio sinks in the abyss and since it takes FOUR more times to upload than to DL (and provided there's someone who needs your music which can take days) well you quickly realize it's mission impossible.
If a mod clicks on your profile and sees your ratio... adios!

"I have left my program open for seeding for at least a day"
Don't do for a day do it as long a it's necessary (sorry to be blunt). OR make a donation to Dime [www.dimeadozen.org]
The amount you give will increase your ratio, it might be a good solution

Date: August 14, 2010 17:18

SRE = Share ratio enforcement.
You're probably below 0.25 so yeah a donation will be a good solution imo...

Personnally I start to worry when my ratio falls below the 1.0 limit : Am I falling at 0.97 and I know i'm gonna have to struggle to get back on tracks...

Date: August 14, 2010 17:23

It must be reminded that on torrent sites the real work starts when you've finished a DL. Cos you have to give back/seed to others. That's much more demanding than a Rapidshare Dl like the ones you find on IORR.

Otoh you get from torrent sites stuff other ppl can only dream of, like this Baton Rouge'75 (1st) low-gen tape... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:00

I won't be surprised if the same thing happens to me. My problem is no one wants what I download. I will keep a show for weeks and not get to 1.0. I do not want my computer running all the time in the hope someone will want that show. I do not take and run, but if no one wants it.......

Yeah, maybe a donation is the thing to do. Or play the game and download something that is hot (whether you want it or not) for the purpose of sharing and getting the ratio up.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 15, 2010 01:20

marchbaby

It is b/c I haven't uploaded any torrents? I have nothing to share. In the past I have left my program open for seeding for at least a day.

thanks for any info.

March, just open another account. All you need is a fresh e-mail account and new usernamename. If you don't have another e-mail already, just get a new one from yahoo, g-mail, or hotmail. Dime is one of the torrent sites that do not close their registrations, you can join whenever if I'm not mistaken. I just signed up with a spare g-mail account I use.

As far as it happening again, I guess you'll have to try and watch your ratio, but that's easier said than done. Like others have said already, people may not want what you have, and not everyone likes leaving there computer on for an unknown length of time while trying to upload and improve their ratio.

And it seems to me that working the system just enough to keep a minimum ratio is almost as bad as doing a hit and run.

Date: August 15, 2010 05:33

bustedtrousers
marchbaby

thanks for any info.

March, just open another account. All you need is a fresh e-mail account and new usernamename. If you don't have another e-mail already, just get a new one from yahoo, g-mail, or hotmail. Dime is one of the torrent sites that do not close their registrations, you can join whenever if I'm not mistaken. I just signed up with a spare g-mail account I use.

As far as it happening again, I guess you'll have to try and watch your ratio, but that's easier said than done. Like others have said already, people may not want what you have, and not everyone likes leaving there computer on for an unknown length of time while trying to upload and improve their ratio.

And it seems to me that working the system just enough to keep a minimum ratio is almost as bad as doing a hit and run.

hi busted, i thought about doing that with a new email account, but I read somewhere that DIME knows your IP address, therefore, if someone sharing the same pc with you opens a DIME acct with a different email, they will be booted.
I will try it.

I should have read all the rules before taking on this boot dl challenge.
I'm on vacation right now but will look into all this next week
have a great weekend!!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 15, 2010 13:31

marchbaby
bustedtrousers
marchbaby

thanks for any info.

hi busted, i thought about doing that with a new email account, but I read somewhere that DIME knows your IP address, therefore, if someone sharing the same pc with you opens a DIME acct with a different email, they will be booted.
I will try it.

I should have read all the rules before taking on this boot dl challenge.
I'm on vacation right now but will look into all this next week
have a great weekend!!

I don't know if that's the case or not Marchbaby, but I've done it more than once with Dime and never been banned. Look at it this way, you already can't download, and from what you say, boosting your ratio is not that easy or practical for you, so how is getting banned going to hurt. Or just donate, like someone else has said, donations to Dime improve your ratio.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 15, 2010 16:37

bustedtrousers
I don't know if that's the case or not Marchbaby, but I've done it more than once with Dime and never been banned. Look at it this way, you already can't download, and from what you say, boosting your ratio is not that easy or practical for you, so how is getting banned going to hurt. Or just donate, like someone else has said, donations to Dime improve your ratio.

Just curious, when you say "donate" how much are you specifying? Also, is there donation levels that automatically give certain ratio points?

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 15, 2010 16:47

The Sicilian
bustedtrousers

Just curious, when you say "donate" how much are you specifying? Also, is there donation levels that automatically give certain ratio points?

I would be interested in this too. I'm also blocked and nobody seems to want to upload from me. Made a small donation - about the price of a silver boot - and I'm still blocked.

Date: August 15, 2010 17:47

"Made a small donation - about the price of a silver boot - and I'm still blocked"

You have to notify the Mods you sent them some money :
"Please don't forget to mail us your username after you've donated. We will need it for promoting your account to user class VIP. If your e-mail address, which you use with PayPal, differs from the one you'll send the a.f. notification, please mention your PayPal related e-mail address, too. This will help us a lot in processing your donation. Thank you in advance!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-15 18:10 by dcba.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 15, 2010 19:14

Well, if there's no hope there's always 'our own' uploaders doing a great job. I just read that jagger50 has made a very fine offer on the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

Date: August 15, 2010 19:37

dcba
"Made a small donation - about the price of a silver boot - and I'm still blocked"

You have to notify the Mods you sent them some money :
"Please don't forget to mail us your username after you've donated. We will need it for promoting your account to user class VIP. If your e-mail address, which you use with PayPal, differs from the one you'll send the a.f. notification, please mention your PayPal related e-mail address, too. This will help us a lot in processing your donation. Thank you in advance!"

Thanks. Should have read the (not so) small print.

Date: August 15, 2010 19:45

I'm trying to email them, but the link doesn't work. Getting a pop up telling me it's not installed properly. Same thing when I try to click on the moderator on the contact page. Does this often happen or is it just me?

Date: August 15, 2010 22:21

Well I emailed a Mod today, and believe me he responded in no time (and it was for a small problem). Try again!

Date: August 16, 2010 08:50

Will do. Thanks. Am current;y unvlocked due to a lot of interest in a Jerry Lee concert.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home