Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The FACES at Goodwood
Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 15, 2010 23:39

Ronnie is playing really well! He seems to have lots of fun.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 16, 2010 00:42

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 16, 2010 00:47

Brue
Or maybe this one. Maybe they could even get Ry Cooder to play with them. Or not. People would go apesh*t if they broke this out - nice and loose -

C'mon Ronnie do it!!!!

y

what cooder does here is more than extraordinary. it's more than gigantically awesome. it's simple brilliance and emotional clarity and ferocious depth did more than grace the stones on these few cuts here and there where his tracks made it to the mix...enormous influence on the stones, who, when you consider banquet's country folk grace, were astute enuff to incorporate these kinds of textures into their signature sound....and also a direct influence on ronnie before the stones gig opened up for him you can bet.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 16, 2010 10:49

Thank you all who contributed to this thread. It gave us, poor boys who could not make
it, a chance to enjoy some of the brilliance.

And of course, thank you Faces for reuniting. Please visit this little country on the
other side of the North Sea.

And thank god that this is one of those few threads that is not ruined by some fellow with
an obsessive compulsive disorder to post something about any other guitarist the moment
Ron Wood is mentioned.

Ronnie is brilliant, and I am glad he's around to prove it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 16, 2010 10:57

I wish Ronnie all the strength and luck, hope he does not hit the bottle because of all the success and great reviews he gets with the Faces.
Hope he'll get some appreciation from Keith, because of all his work with the Stones.
Wish the Faces will hit the Netherlands next year.
One Love
Jeroen

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 16, 2010 12:11

Just goes to prove that Ronnie is a) underrated, b) underused by the Stones and c) that he may be better off without the stones.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 16, 2010 12:41

I fully agree with NickB above. It is stunning how well Ronnie plays with his own bands (I remember the Ronnie and Fiends gig some years go, he played very well then too). Just a while ago I watched a DVD of the Vienna gig from the ABB tour. Honestly, it was shockingly bad. Absolutely a disaster, I am so glad i didn't notice it so much at the gig then. Ronnie's and Keith's playing was absolutely shambolic.

And now he is on stage, playing great riffs, solos etc effortless!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 16, 2010 12:52

where the hell are bootlegs?! I'm dying.

Date: August 16, 2010 14:59

Lorenz
I fully agree with NickB above. It is stunning how well Ronnie plays with his own bands (I remember the Ronnie and Fiends gig some years go, he played very well then too). Just a while ago I watched a DVD of the Vienna gig from the ABB tour. Honestly, it was shockingly bad. Absolutely a disaster, I am so glad i didn't notice it so much at the gig then. Ronnie's and Keith's playing was absolutely shambolic.

And now he is on stage, playing great riffs, solos etc effortless!

Thanks Lorenz, hopefully this will prove to Mick and Keith that he is important and not shambles and worth keeping in the band and that they should let him to be part of the songwriting team.

NickB

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2010 15:24

Green Lady

woody played some awesome slide on stay with me .mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sure is good .go woody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 16, 2010 15:33

The Greek
Green Lady

woody played some awesome slide on stay with me .mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sure is good .go woody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really really good! Ronnie sober is still fantastic.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 16, 2010 15:47

NickB
Just goes to prove that Ronnie is a) underrated, b) underused by the Stones and c) that he may be better off without the stones.

Nick me ole china,

You've no idea what you've said here, you're a brave man even mentioning point (c). But this is just to tell you that you're not alone perhaps in thinking point (c), because whilst Beast and With Sssoul were standing beside me front of stage at Goodwood & were completely away with the fairies and on planet Ronnie if not far beyond ... although I was right alongside them in that respect, I very clearly heard someone not far from us all shout (extremely loudly I hasten to add) the following words:

RONNIE ... GET THE F**K OUT OF THE STONES !!!!

There ya go, that's dunnit ! Now sit back and watch this thread go into meltdown !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: August 16, 2010 16:06

Me, I would prefer it if option (b) would gain more attention from those who pull the strings.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2010 16:14

I think that if perhaps Ronnie could escape the whole 'Rolling Stones persona' when on stage during the next tour, then perhaps we'll get a more focused Ronnie Wood; less posing, arm waiving and clowning around. On stage with the Stones, he seems to act-up - it doesn't suit him and it doesn't do justice to his capabilities.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: August 16, 2010 16:21

Does anyone know the Faces tour dates?
I can't find anything in the internet.

Date: August 16, 2010 16:28

twanghound
Does anyone know the Faces tour dates?
I can't find anything in the internet.

There's only one more show in 2010, and that's in Denmark this Friday 20th August. The "as official as you can get" rumours some of us who have attended their two shows to date (at the O2 Bubble on the 11th and Goodwood on the 13th) have heard suggest that they'll be touring as from January 2011. But no details, as in (a) where exactly, (b) what types of venue, (c) for how long etc. In other words ... it ain't been put together yet, at least that's how I would read it.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 16, 2010 16:40

Is there a website that is showing the faces tour dates? Any mentioned for the us?

Go Dawgs!

Date: August 16, 2010 16:43

See my thoughts Pauly on Ronnie are as follows. Ronnie is a fantastic guitar player/musician who has been second fiddle to the Mick and Keith show who have over the years eroded his confidence and his belief in himself. So much so that he sinks into this morass of booze and womanising. I think Mick and Keith have sapped his creativity and his morale (he's the butt of the jokes) and in many respects this Faces reunion is a good thing. He gets to call the shots in his own band.

I hope that he is able to either negotiate his way into a better position in the Stones where he's better off creatively and psychologically or if he chooses to remain with the Faces he's got the balls to give Mick and Keith the heave ho.

NickB

Date: August 16, 2010 16:51

NickB
See my thoughts Pauly on Ronnie are as follows. Ronnie is a fantastic guitar player/musician who has been second fiddle to the Mick and Keith show who have over the years eroded his confidence and his belief in himself. So much so that he sinks into this morass of booze and womanising. I think Mick and Keith have sapped his creativity and his morale (he's the butt of the jokes) and in many respects this Faces reunion is a good thing. He gets to call the shots in his own band.

I hope that he is able to either negotiate his way into a better position in the Stones where he's better off creatively and psychologically or if he chooses to remain with the Faces he's got the balls to give Mick and Keith the heave ho.

I'm pretty much with you there Nick. You're only up the road in Milton Keynes, how come you didn't have a stab at getting into the O2 Bubble ? Tickets weren't THAT hard to get. Of course they went originally in about 15 nanoseconds, and then you had to pay a markup at all the usual mothertrucking slimeball scalping bastard outlets, but the markup wasn't significant to be honest, £10 here, £20 there ... face value was £40. Well anyway, what you'd have seen was Ronnie truly shining, master of ceremony so to say. The Faces reunion is THE BEST thing that could have happened to him right now, and I for one think that M & K WILL sit up and take notice, and the entire thing WILL actually somewhat alter the dynamics between them all within the RS. And that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 16, 2010 17:05

I admit I was very adamant about the "new" Faces not being the Faces. And I am still not all that thrilled with Hucknall, but boy is it good seeing Ronnie be himself. Playing with passion and being a true Rock and Roller. He sounds great! I agree so much with the posts saying a lot of his creative mojo was sucked from him in the eye of the storm. It is so good to see him playing, really playing. Awesome! The Stones should be watching and learning so their next tour can be something really special. Bravo Ronnie!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 16, 2010 17:05

NickB
See my thoughts Pauly on Ronnie are as follows. Ronnie is a fantastic guitar player/musician who has been second fiddle to the Mick and Keith show who have over the years eroded his confidence and his belief in himself. So much so that he sinks into this morass of booze and womanising. I think Mick and Keith have sapped his creativity and his morale (he's the butt of the jokes)

Oh come on , that is pure BS, Ronnie is a grown man for @#$%& sake!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 16, 2010 17:06

NickB

Years ago Lester Bangs said it best that when Ronnie joined the Stones he took a "civil service job."

With the Stones he works 1/10th as hard and earns 100 times more money...but it smothers him and he's not true to himself as an artist.

They never really used his full powers as a writer or guitarist.

Those clips gave me chills, and made me tear up. He's still got it. God bless him and God bless his fellow Faces...it's 35 years later and they're back, baby!

Date: August 16, 2010 17:08

It's not that I forgot. It would have been a great birthday present but we're pretty skint at the moment. My studies are taking the money sadly. Let's hope this reunion helps Ronnie stay on the straight and narrow. He seems to have quite a strong willed woman standing by his side.

NickB

Date: August 16, 2010 17:40

NickB
It's not that I forgot. It would have been a great birthday present but we're pretty skint at the moment. My studies are taking the money sadly. Let's hope this reunion helps Ronnie stay on the straight and narrow. He seems to have quite a strong willed woman standing by his side.

Yep, we had a full on view of Miss Brasil standing side of stage just near his amp, and she WAS getting into it bigtime, gotta say.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 16, 2010 17:56

Can't wait to see this show.....

Date: August 16, 2010 18:10

I was thumbing through the booklet of my trusted Five Guys walk into a bar...box and noticed
that Glen Matlock wrote some notes in the booklet.
Just for the happy occasion of the reunion I take te liberty to quote him here:
Glen Matlock
The main reason I dug the Fases is because they were so different from everything else
going on during that stage. You had the glam rock thing, and then to see them coming onstage
kicking footballs around - that was something else. They didn't seem to give a toss about
anything.

I saw them three times and got into them right from Long Player. I bought it in the
old stitched-together sleeve, which stuck out like some old 78.

If there were no Faces, there would have been no Sex Pistols. When I had my audition
for the band, I played "Three Button Hand Me Down," and that got me the gig.

My biggest memory was seeing them at the Rainbow. When it comes to drum solos, most bands
go off and have a quick drink backstage. The Faces actually had a bar onstage, with a
barman in a white tuxedo, a towel over his arm. Kenney played his solo, and when he gave them
the nod to come back, they turned around and ordered another round of drinks.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 16, 2010 18:45

loog droog
NickB

With the Stones he works 1/10th as hard and earns 100 times more money...but it smothers him and he's not true to himself as an artist.

They never really used his full powers as a writer or guitarist.
![/i]

Yes... I think maybe the Stones could have at least brought Ian Stewart up a bit more in the mix as well.

Date: August 16, 2010 19:00

Ket
NickB
See my thoughts Pauly on Ronnie are as follows. Ronnie is a fantastic guitar player/musician who has been second fiddle to the Mick and Keith show who have over the years eroded his confidence and his belief in himself. So much so that he sinks into this morass of booze and womanising. I think Mick and Keith have sapped his creativity and his morale (he's the butt of the jokes)

Oh come on , that is pure BS, Ronnie is a grown man for @#$%& sake!

Ket I know it's pure conjecture but you need to watch Mick introduce Ronnie eg "Ronnie Woods gay", and watch Ronnie being whipping boy on stage. What about IORR which was essentially Ronnies song and Keith wiped Ronnies parts and put his own on? All these little things add up.

NickB

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: August 16, 2010 20:40

Must admit, I had my doubts about the Ginger one singing, even talked to a few people who had been at the O2 gig who said he was good, but the proof was in the pudding and he really complimented the band.

What I really liked was that it didn't come across as the Faces with Hucknall on vocals, but more so as a complete band, as in the old rodders days where he was the 'throat' accompaniment to the rest of the group. It really was a great unit. had to eat humble pie afterwards.

Very impressive gig, looking forward to the tour.

Only drawback, without doubt, the most un rock n roll festival I have been to in a long time. more like an overblown summer fete for my liking. Altough having Wilko there was definitely an added bonus.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 16, 2010 20:50

Good for Ronnie.

Ronnie and Charlie are probably the strongest musicians in the Rolling Stones. Ronnie has always been this great---we just never see it when he has to stand next to Keith Richards. It's more obvious now than ever that Keith prefers to have Ronnie more controlled.

Basically, Ronnie is the "George Harrison" of the Stones. The difference is, Ronnie doesn't seem to mind.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home