Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Moonlight Mile
Posted by: flowerchild ()
Date: August 14, 2010 03:29

What do you think of Moonlight Mile live? It's too bad they didn't play it back closer to when it come out in 1971 with Mick Taylor. It's also a really hard song for Mick to sing.

Re: Moonlight Mile
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 14, 2010 03:43

Great song but not a live song for '71

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 04:31

I have a version from about 1997 I think. I would love to hear them do it again some day.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 14, 2010 04:35

I don't think it really works live.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 05:02

Yeah several of the versions I heard Mick really struggled to start the song in tune. Got better, but then the cheesy keys at the end trying to replicate the strings didn't work too well.

Posted by: flowerchild ()
Date: August 14, 2010 05:42

They could have done it on the 71 UK tour for example when they played the marquee. replace the string parts with keith and have Taylor do a gorgeous, subtle and tasteful solo on an extended outro. Mick maybe can't sing it now or couldnt ten years ago, but maybe back then.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 14, 2010 06:43

I thought - to my surprise - that it worked well on the No Security Tour.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 14, 2010 21:49

I liked it on the No Security tour - I have a couple of takes, Mick struggled early becasue I think he had the flu.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:14

MLM is one of the songs in my day-dream fantasy show. It's a completely different show than the formula that the band has used over the decades. In any event, it is one of three songs that quietly ends with an almost fade out effect. I hear Jagger on the harmonica at the end, but cannot figure exactly what it sounds like. Needless to say, Taylor's on stage. And the venue is not a stadium where subtlety is less appreciated.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:42

Beautiful beautiful song. Doesn't work live. But the recorded version is a gem.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 15, 2010 00:47

A big part of the majesty of MM and Sway was Taylor's parts. Take that away from the live renditions and we are missing too many essential components. I was thrilled that they attempted MM, though, and give them an "A" for effort...Some songs are perfect studio creations that don't benefit from being played live, and that's totally ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 23:03 by 71Tele.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 22:57

Absolutely perfect song. Would really love to hear it live!!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 21, 2010 00:41

71Tele
A big part of the majesty of MM and Sway was Taylor's parts. Take that away from the live renditions and we are missing too many essential components. I was thrilled that they attempted MM, though, and give them an "A" for effort...Some songs are perfect studio creations that don't benefit from being played live, and that's totally ok.

Tele, I don't take anything away from Mick T, but as with Sway, I find the vocals on the live versions are a bigger problem than the guitars-- on Sticky Fingers, both Sway and Moonlight Mile build to a pretty high level of emotional intensity, and the saving-the-voice vocal stylings (which I understand are probably necessary to protect the ability to sing in subsequent shows) just don't work. On balance, I think Mick is still functioning at a high level, but we do find him backing down from straining, which leaves him unable to convey the emotional engagement he did on the studio tracks.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: August 21, 2010 00:41

one of their best...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 21, 2010 01:36

texas fan
71Tele

Tele, I don't take anything away from Mick T, but as with Sway, I find the vocals on the live versions are a bigger problem than the guitars-- on Sticky Fingers, both Sway and Moonlight Mile build to a pretty high level of emotional intensity, and the saving-the-voice vocal stylings (which I understand are probably necessary to protect the ability to sing in subsequent shows) just don't work. On balance, I think Mick is still functioning at a high level, but we do find him backing down from straining, which leaves him unable to convey the emotional engagement he did on the studio tracks.

You're absolutely the right. The fact that Mick can no longer push himself to those vocal heights taskes much away from the potential of those two songs.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 21, 2010 11:33

I think the live vers. is cool from bridges, but they could have done better if they would have played it on an earlier tour i feel.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 21, 2010 16:47

I'm having flash backs just thinking about that tune. Really great song.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home