Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - 2011 College Football Bowl Games
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 1, 2011 21:39

I myself am not a huge college football fan but I'm sure many here are. But I do watch the national championship game and a few other bowl games. Here's the lineup for today:

TicketCity Bowl - Northwestern vs Texas Tech

Outback Bowl - Florida vs Penn St.

Capitol One Bowl - Alabama vs Michigan St.

Gator Bowl - Michigan vs Mississippi St.

Rose Bowl - TCU vs Wisconsin

Fiesta Bowl - Connecticut vs Oklahoma

Re: OT - 2011 College Football Bowl Games
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 1, 2011 22:05

2 1 2 0

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 2, 2011 00:27

Bad day for the Big 10. 0-4 so far,but Wisconsin should beat TCU. I think Auburn will roll over Oregon in the championship game.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: January 2, 2011 01:05

Wow, Texas Christian at the Rose Bowl?????

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 2, 2011 02:50

Wow, MitchFlorida pops to life for a college football thread?

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: January 2, 2011 03:05

I can't imagine watching the Rose Bowl unless it is USC, UCLA, Stanford, or a west coast team.

No way I will watch Texas Christian in the Rose Bowl. Maybe the Cotton Bowl.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 2, 2011 07:42

big ten sucks. always have always do. Go Irish!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 4, 2011 22:31

THE SUGAR BOWL PREVIEWED BY AN ALCOHOLIC NEW ORLEANS POLICE HORSE
by Spencer Hall on Jan 4, 2011 1:01 PM EST

with Unsilent Majority.

via www.myneworleans.com

ONE

These streets.

These filthy, filthy streets.

You come here. You buy your 64 ounce beers, your drinks in three-foot-long neon plastic tubes. You say things you can't say at home. You vent. You spill it into these streets like the outflow pipes of distant sewers. Lives filled with shit you can't dump anywhere else. You put things you wouldn't put in your worst enemy's bathtub here. You make a beast of yourself because you think no one's watching.

Someone is watching though.

I see it all.

The beast who stays a beast.

The beast with more humanity than any of you bastards.

TWO

You ask me about your games, your petty little games. You want a game? We can play games. How about "Turning a Corner To Find A Trannie Stabbing A Sexually Intolerant Man From Ohio In The Face With A Broken Margarita Glass?" Or my other recent favorite, "Bitch From Little Rock Who Won't Stop Pulling My Tail." You know what cops hate doing? Filing paperwork. They really hate it.

That's their problem, because when I kick someone in the knee and crack their patella you know how much paperwork I have to do? None, because hooves can't hold a pen. They can make a drunk bitch feel just an ounce of the pain in me, though. I would sign a thousand sheets of paper with a pen clenched in my teeth for that.

There are other games. "Drunk Couple Fights Outside A Strip Club When A Three-Way Lapdance Goes Sour." "Man on PCP Wants To Fight a Horse." (Oh, that is a favorite of mine, and you know who doesn't lose? Me.) There's a little game called "Pantsless Couple Having A Quickie In The Alley Gets Chased By Cops." It's a bright spot in the long dark tunnel of my day to watch a man fall tackle-first into a gutter with his pants around his ankles.

Sometimes it makes me forget where I am. Then I remember, and the smell of stale booze and piss brings me back to the present, and I remember that dreams are the worst torture of all: the promise of hope interrupted by the inevitable waking.

THREE

Other horses don't understand what we go through. Home life? Forget it. No barn can hold you once you've tasted the street or bitten a chunk out of a tourist shoulder in a street fight. You're either on patrol or sitting in a dark dive drinking bourbon neat. The bars aren't supposed to give cops free drinks. The bars know that the law is the lie we tell others to get to the business of living just like we do.

You can try to have a real relationship. Sure, you can go for a wild ride with one of the ponies from the petting zoo. In the end there's no real connection. The conversation never gets past oats and bloat. Just a roll in the hay, and then a swish of the tail and she's gone like a dream down the sidewalk.

You might think of her one cold night in the stables. Sometimes in this prison we call life you become your own warden. Sometimes he's the worst warden of all.

FOUR

Yes. I've taken bribes. Carrots. Sugar. I'll be honest, I'm not even a vegetarian anymore. None of us are. It's an open secret. We all take them: a beignet here, a sack of oats there. We walk past some bars and restaurants more than others. Not always for the right reasons, according to some. You show me a solid right reason and I will show you an honest cop.

We'll compare. I like to look at nothing as much as the next horse. It'll be fun for one of us, at least.

It changes you, this city. Changes your blood, whatever is left of your soul. Last week I ate a steak. I'll admit it. Perfect marbling, well-rested, perfectly grilled with some creole butter. A steak. I'm this close to eating my own.

That's what this city does to you.

You start off as a bright eyed pony.

You leave it a swaybacked cannibal.

And the worst part: it was delicious.

FIVE

It doesn't even have the decency to stay the same. This city's a whore, and it spreads its legs for the future and cuckolds the past every second. Last year they brought in a new crop of recruits. Arabians. Say what you want, but I don't trust 'em.

They're a little funny, if you ask me. My HR rep tells me I gotta stop calling them all Osama. But what does that @#$%& donkey know about the world? He sits in the barn all day, watching tv and eating the loot he takes off incoming prisoners. I'm out here. I have to know who to trust.

I don't know when it stops. When camels are closing the bars and biting women who aren't in burqa on Jackson Square, you'll see I was right. You'll think of me.

But by then it'll be too late. If I'm lucky I'll be out to stud. If not, I'll be dead.

SIX

I've kicked those who deserved it. I've kicked those who don't. They feel the same after a while.

SEVEN

When i do go off-duty I'm either drunk or working private security. Usually both. I try to stay away from the drugs. Sometimes they don't stay away from me.That's when trouble starts.

You think drugs make it back to the lab? Have you seen my nostrils? Do you know how much blow a horse can do in two minutes? Do you know how much pain flies out of my body when that white angel flies into my brain? Do you know how for just a second I'm free, running through the meadows I never got to run through as a foal?

Happiness is an empty saddle. An empty saddle is a hollow horse. We're happiest when we're hollow. Nothingness is nothing to fear. It's being that should terrify you.

I don't know how much longer I can do this.

/pisses two gallons on the sidewalk

//shits mid-stride

EIGHT

There are moments. One time I woke up in a dumpster with Lindsay Lohan. She was naked, I was unbridled. We were both wild.

You might say bad things about that lady. I dunno, maybe she's been bad to you. PETA won't hear a complaint from me.

NINE

I had a dream last week. I walked down Bourbon with my rider on my back. He was drunk and sleeping. It was sometime around dawn. No one was on the streets. Not even a sleeping drunk. There was the sun, and the balconies and railings and romeo spikes and the smell of the streets. Nothing else.

I crossed Elysian Fields and went through the Marigny. I kept walking, first through another neighborhood, then another, and on and on. I don't know how long I walked. The neighborhoods got strange and unfamiliar. I saw no one else. There were streets and silence, and I wandered south to the river.

Then I came to the river.

A ferry waited. The pilot looked old and out of time. He had suspenders, and highwater pants, and a white cotton shirt and a hat. I had no money. He asked me if I would sell what I had to get on. I nodded yes. He took my bridle, and said "Ten dollars." The saddle: "eighty." The blanket, the rest of my gear: "twenty dollars." He asked me what else I had.

I could talk in this dream like a man. This was not strange to me. I said, "My soul."

The old man squinted. He wrote down a number on the paper.

I woke up in the barn, shivering and alone.

I don't know if I want to know what the number was on that paper.

Also, I have hooves, and can't pick up pieces of paper.

TEN

So. You play your games, Ohio State and Arkansas. They're just games. I'm out here with a 240 pound bribe sponge with a gun on my back. That's the game I play every day.

That's the real game. What you do is for kids. What I do is about giving a sick order to these streets. The garbage gets in the gutter one way or another. Someone's got to kick it there. There's a glue that holds this city together.

It's made from horses. LIfe's predictable like that, but I'm not complaining. It'll be over soon enough.

[www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com]

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 5, 2011 04:37

mitchflorida
I can't imagine watching the Rose Bowl unless it is USC, UCLA, Stanford, or a west coast team.

The BCS has made a mess of college football and ruined it for a lot of fans that enjoy the traditional conference match ups. Stanford and Wisconsin would have made more sense since Stanford finished runner up in the Pac 10 with it's only loss to Oregon. New Year's Day used to mean something, now you have a bunch of bowls between New Year's Day and the so called National Championship game which comes almost ten days later.

Date: January 5, 2011 04:52

stonescrow
mitchflorida

The BCS has made a mess of college football and ruined it for a lot of fans that enjoy the traditional conference match ups. Stanford and Wisconsin would have made more sense since Stanford finished runner up in the Pac 10 with it's only loss to Oregon. New Year's Day used to mean something, now you have a bunch of bowls between New Year's Day and the so called National Championship game which comes almost ten days later.
Yeah,Stanford could have killed Wisconsin instead of Virginia Tech.moody smiley

Date: January 11, 2011 02:38

Go Auburn!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: January 11, 2011 02:46

sweetcharmedlife
Go Auburn!!!!!!!!!!!

+1. It should be a great game.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:05

I have two close friends (and *only* two) who are Auburn fans -- still, I just cannot ever bring myself to root for them.

Date: January 11, 2011 05:25

My father on Auburn fans earlier tonight: "They're just a nuisance."

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:29

Does anyone think that Auburn could be stripped of the title and heisman within a year or two?

Date: January 11, 2011 07:35

CrazyDadda
Does anyone think that Auburn could be stripped of the title and heisman within a year or two?

Hope springs eternal in the Bama breast.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:37

Glam Descendant
CrazyDadda

Hope springs eternal in the Bama breast.

lol, I'm a Navy fan. Could care less about Bama.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:56

CrazyDadda

No. Because they are not a west coast team.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:44

The entire season comes down to a tie game with 2 seconds on the clock and a field goal to win by 3. Helluva game. Auburn had the size but Oregon went toe to toe and slugged it out. Great college football. Either team could have won that game.

Date: January 11, 2011 17:31

CrazyDadda
They might strip their title. But they can't strip teh money I won last nightdrinking smiley
Seriously,with the 5 week layoff,it turned out to be an ugly game. These teams hardly resmebled the great teams they were during the season.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 11, 2011 17:56

I was perfectly content with the regional bowl game system and having people vote for a national championship rather than having it declared by corporate interests. Most of the time they got it right. If two schools share it, fine, good for them. Wrap up the season on January 1 and let's move on.

The idea that we have to run these kids through a play-off process to sell products and entertain me while I sit on the couch is ludicrous. These kids are already playing up to 14 games. We demand that they be physically, emotionally and psychologically prepared to play. We require that they be good citizens and students and maintain "amateur" status while every institution (schools, conferences, NCAA, corporate America) tries to find more and more ways to make BIG money off them. The hypocrisy is enormous

The bowl game line-up this year was dismal. Besides poor match ups what was TCU doing in the Rose Bowl? Or Stanford in the Orange? The Rose Bowl still pulls them in, but did you see the sparse crowd in the once proud Orange Bowl?

Right now there 5 major or traditional bowls. I suggest having 5 host conferences to maintain regionalism, then have those bowls decide on the best 5 opponent match ups. It may not be perfect, but I bet you see 5 good games. Theoretically, you would have the Top Ten matched up. That is better than what happened this year. I do not agree with the one good game justifies all attitude of the BCS.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 11, 2011 18:08

Who won the toilet bowl?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 11, 2011 18:44

Koen
Who won the toilet bowl?

it was tie - oregon 0, oregon state 0 - end of the 1983 season. last game that will ever end in a 0-0 tie. i was there and it definitely stunk.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 11, 2011 18:46

pmk251
I was perfectly content with the regional bowl game system and having people vote for a national championship rather than having it declared by corporate interests. Most of the time they got it right. If two schools share it, fine, good for them. Wrap up the season on January 1 and let's move on.

i agree totally - but it will never return to that - too much corporate money on the line. the bcs thing sucks and an eventual playoff system is inevitable. and that will suck, too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2011 19:44

Glad to see this season go _

Signed,

All Georgia fans

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1358
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home