Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - valuation of guitars
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 26, 2010 22:14

Does anybody know of a site or such that can offer a valuation of one of my guitars - it's a 72 Telecaster Deluxe with two humbuckers, natural wood.

Re: OT - valuation of guitars
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 26, 2010 22:42

Yes, $2,700 to $3,400 in excellent condition, according to the 2010 Vintage Guitar Price Guide. If it has been refinished it could be worth considerably less.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: December 26, 2010 22:52

You can always check out gbase.com to see what similar models go for. Mandolin Bros in Stanten Island will give you a thorough appraisal for $150. Gruhn Guitars in Nashville will do the same.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 27, 2010 01:05

All that I know is that anything before 1980 is considered vintage.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2010 16:06

Midnight Toker

For Fender vintage is before '65, for Gibson it is anything before '63.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2010 15:53

Mathijs
Midnight Toker

Mathijs

I wonder what's the difference in price for an in good shape Gibson '63 (vintage) and an in simular shape '64 ?
Same for Fenders.
Anybody?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 28, 2010 17:10

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Midnight Toker

Mathijs

I wonder what's the difference in price for an in good shape Gibson '63 (vintage) and an in simular shape '64 ?
Same for Fenders.
Anybody?

Difficult to say in general, as it is different for each model. Gibson changed their manufacturing process in '64 from small scale handmade to large scale machine made. This changed some of the specs of the instruments, but not all. PAF pickups changed to patent number, and to a collector this can mean thousands of dollars difference. Then again, for some instruments with PAF's a '64 can still be more desirable due to the artist connection: a '64 335 (Clapton) and '64 SG with Lyre (George Harrison) are worth more money than the '63 counterparts. But more specs changed, like neck size, and good tone wood became scarcer. So, in general '63 is seen as the last year with hand made instruments, '64 a transition year, and '65 the end of the vintage Gibson. Take the Hummingbird: $9K for a 63, $6K for a 64, and $4K for a '65.

Fender was bought by CBS in '65, and quality plunged immediately. Poly lacquer was introduced in '67/'68, and this was the nail in the coffin. A '63 Strat is in the $22K range, a '66 Strat in the $15K.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2010 17:30

Thank's for the info. Seemed a crucial question to me.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 28, 2010 21:03

Thank you for the information. I was surprised that anything Fender had to be pre 65 to be classed as vintage I always thought that 30 years was the mark. You live and learn! Guess I'll hang on to it for a while but was wanting to switch to a standard Tele from about the same year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home