Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: question for johnny winter fans?
Date: December 21, 2010 18:34

i just started getting into him even though i always knew who he was and was even going to see him live in 2009 until the club he was booked at went under.

what cd's would anyone recommend? only 2 cd's i ever see in the stores are WOODSTOCK EXPERIENCE (first johnny winter album and disc 2 is his performance at woodstock) and SECOND WINTER (which i see the regular and deluxe versions)

Re: OT: question for johnny winter fans?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 21, 2010 18:40

his first CBS record - Johnny Winter - is a great place to start. Also, his Imperial record, Progressive Blues Experiment, which came out in '68 is still a great listen.

i'm very partial to some of his work on the Blue Sky label in the late 70's, when he returned to more basic blues. Nothin' But the Blues, White Hot & Blue and Raisin' Cain are among his best, imo. His subsequent work on the Alligator label was a little more spotty, but they all have their merits.

From his "rock" period in the early-to-mid 70's - Still Alive and Well would be the one to get first - features a couple of killer stones covers, too....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 21, 2010 18:46

keefriffhard4life
i just started getting into him even though i always knew who he was and was even going to see him live in 2009 until the club he was booked at went under.

what cd's would anyone recommend? only 2 cd's i ever see in the stores are WOODSTOCK EXPERIENCE (first johnny winter album and disc 2 is his performance at woodstock) and SECOND WINTER (which i see the regular and deluxe versions)

The BEST Johnny winter album for live stuff is Johnny Winter and

[en.wikipedia.org]

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 21, 2010 18:49

paulywaul
keefriffhard4life

[en.wikipedia.org]

won't argue with you there - many a neighbor i annoyed at the dorms in college with that record....the interplay between winter and derringer is a joy....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 21, 2010 18:51

StonesTod
paulywaul
keefriffhard4life

[en.wikipedia.org]

won't argue with you there - many a neighbor i annoyed at the dorms in college with that record....the interplay between winter and derringer is a joy....

Funny, I did much the same annoying people at school with it. I still ADORE this record today.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 21, 2010 18:59

paulywaul
StonesTod
paulywaul
keefriffhard4life

[en.wikipedia.org]

Funny, I did much the same annoying people at school with it. I still ADORE this record today.

well, it's one of those records that if you're not shaking the walls with it, why bother at all?

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: December 21, 2010 19:27

I always remember buying Second Winter and while it was a double album, one of the sides was totally blank...not enough material to fill an entire double LP...

Date: December 21, 2010 19:31

reg thorpe
I always remember buying Second Winter and while it was a double album, one of the sides was totally blank...not enough material to fill an entire double LP...

i thought that was cool. too much for a single lp, not enuff for a double - hey, let's go halvsies!!! actually, a very cool noise if you dropped the needle on side 4.

not one of his better records, unfortunately...lots of failed experiments there...but thanks for trying, Johnny!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: December 21, 2010 19:33

[
i thought that was cool. too much for a single lp, not enuff for a double - hey, let's go halvsies!!! actually, a very cool noise if you dropped the needle on side 4.

..I tried dropping the needle on side 4 too StonesTod; I believe a blank black label on the record too..

Date: December 21, 2010 19:42

reg thorpe
[

..I tried dropping the needle on side 4 too StonesTod; I believe a blank black label on the record too..

yes, well in those daze, in the state one would often be in while playing records late at night....one would be likely to keep trying to clean off the stylus rather than realize there were no grooves on side 4....eventually, you would just pass out, of course....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:18

All great stuff mentioned above, but as far as live albums I've always been partial to Captured Live from 1976.
Having Floyd Radford on second guitar made for some mean ass shredding from both himself and Johnny.

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 20:21 by Hairball.

Date: December 21, 2010 20:47

i see he has an official bootleg series. anyone check it out?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 22, 2010 03:26

Here's Seasons Greetings Song

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 22, 2010 08:23

I always buys every Johnny Winter album I happened to run over.. so nowadays I'm a happy owner to all of them, and what differs him from other artists is that you can play any of them and have a good time.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 22, 2010 13:24

E.g.:

Johnny Winter (the extended version)
Second Winter (the extended version with Royal Albert Hall live)
Captured Live!
Nothing but the Blues
Serious Business
White, Hot and Blue
The Winter of '88
Raisin' Cain
Live in New York City '97

Only on boot: The Rock Palast Event (Essen, Grugahalle, Germany 1979)

Caution! Many very bad boots were realised in the last years as "official" stuff.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 22, 2010 13:41

Like others have said "Johnny Winter And" is Johnny at his peak during his Rock and Roll period.If you love rock and roll you won't be disappointed my friend.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: December 22, 2010 13:57

Guitar Slinger for sure

Date: December 22, 2010 15:03

RobertJohnson
E.g.:

Captured Live!
Nothing but the Blues
Serious Business
White, Hot and Blue
The Winter of '88
Raisin' Cain

Caution! Many very bad boots were realised in the last years as "official" stuff.

the bad boots you are talking about are not a way to say don't buy his official bootleg stuff is it?

Date: December 22, 2010 15:21

keefriffhard4life
RobertJohnson
E.g.:

Captured Live!
Nothing but the Blues
Serious Business
White, Hot and Blue
The Winter of '88
Raisin' Cain

the bad boots you are talking about are not a way to say don't buy his official bootleg stuff is it?

let's just say there's plenty of great non-official bootleg stuff...and it's freely available at your favorite download site.

Date: December 22, 2010 16:21

keefriffhard4life
RobertJohnson
E.g.:

Captured Live!
Nothing but the Blues
Serious Business
White, Hot and Blue
The Winter of '88
Raisin' Cain

Yes, of course, sorry, I didn't say it exactly. The "Official Bootleg Series" is recommendable in great parts. But there are others which you can buy e.g. on Amazon and which are a big insult to this great musician.

Date: December 22, 2010 16:23

StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
RobertJohnson
E.g.:

Captured Live!
Nothing but the Blues
Serious Business
White, Hot and Blue
The Winter of '88
Raisin' Cain

let's just say there's plenty of great non-official bootleg stuff...and it's freely available at your favorite download site.

That's right, too. But the others exists, too, unfortunately ...

Date: December 22, 2010 16:36

RobertJohnson
StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
RobertJohnson
E.g.:

Captured Live!
Nothing but the Blues
Serious Business
White, Hot and Blue
The Winter of '88
Raisin' Cain

That's right, too. But the others exists, too, unfortunately ...

some guy (forget his name now) in south america must be the biggest jw collector ever. used to trade with him years ago - got a rare jw show that i attended in the 80's in palo alto from him. he's got gazillions of jw shows - has been posting them on dime the past few years...

Posted by: liveatleeds ()
Date: December 22, 2010 20:07

Agreed; Johnny Winter And .. Live (with Rick Derringer on second guitar) is mint from start to end. Their version of Jumping Jack Flash rips. I also like Johnny's studio versions of Stray Cat Blues, Let it Bleed and Silver Train. You get some of that stuff (and lots more) on the 2009 Anthology release.

Posted by: stones69 ()
Date: December 22, 2010 22:18

Amazing that nobody mentioned these two rock'n'roll classics: Still Alive and Well and John Dawson Winter III.

One of the all-time greatest guitarists.

Go, Johnny, go!

Date: December 22, 2010 22:21

stones69
Amazing that nobody mentioned these two rock'n'roll classics: Still Alive and Well and John Dawson Winter III.

"somebody" did mention the former....the latter isn't among his better ones, imo

Date: December 22, 2010 23:59

RobertJohnson
keefriffhard4life
RobertJohnson
E.g.:

Captured Live!
Nothing but the Blues
Serious Business
White, Hot and Blue
The Winter of '88
Raisin' Cain

Yes, of course, sorry, I didn't say it exactly. The "Official Bootleg Series" is recommendable in great parts. But there are others which you can buy e.g. on Amazon and which are a big insult to this great musician.

so which of the official bootlegs do you recommend?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 23, 2010 00:10

Agree with most everything said here, but I'll add a mention for '74's Saints and Sinners, which features a fine Stray Cat Blues as well as the outstanding Stone County, written by Richie Supa of Chip Away the Stone fame. Classic 70's boogie, clavinet and all. And there's a great version of it on the San Diego '74 show which I believe is on the Wolfgang's Vault site.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: December 23, 2010 01:41

liveatleeds
Agreed; Johnny Winter And .. Live (with Rick Derringer on second guitar) is mint from start to end. Their version of Jumping Jack Flash rips. I also like Johnny's studio versions of Stray Cat Blues, Let it Bleed and Silver Train. You get some of that stuff (and lots more) on the 2009 Anthology release.

Collector's Choice put out a second CD this year from the same show as Johnny Winter And.. Live. It's titled Johnny Winter And.. Live at the Fillmore East 10/3/70. It's just as smokin' as the original.
Tracklist:
1-Guess I'll Go Away
2-Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
3-Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo
4-It's My Own Fault
5-Highway 61 Revisited
6- Mean Town Blues
7- Rollin and Tumblin

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 23, 2010 01:53

I've never heard a bad Johnny Winter album(I'm partial tho cause hes from my hometown!). Saints and Sinners is a must tho because (as mentioned above) "Stray Cat Blues" is a killer plus smokin' versions of "Boney Moroney" and " Thirty Days". Two things-Johnny is one of the LOUDEST artists you will hear live and one of, if not the fastest guitarists ever. The only one I ever saw that could come close is Alvin Lee of Ten Years After IMO. At the expense of being attacked I will say Johnny is the only artist in my opinion that comes damn close to cutting the Stones with their own material.

Posted by: liveatleeds ()
Date: December 23, 2010 04:20

Collector's Choice put out a second CD this year from the same show as Johnny Winter And.. Live. It's titled Johnny Winter And.. Live at the Fillmore East 10/3/70. It's just as smokin' as the original.

Tracklist:

1-Guess I'll Go Away
2-Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
3-Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo
4-It's My Own Fault
5-Highway 61 Revisited
6- Mean Town Blues
7- Rollin and Tumblin

- didn't know that; thanks for the tip !!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home