Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Stones Summit did not happen
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:05

The annual Stones "summit" that was reported to have taken place on December 7th in London apparently did not happen after all. According to a radio interview with Ronnie this week, the meeting did not take place and in fact, all four band members have not been in the same room or done even a conference call meeting in about 3 years. Ronnie went on to say that while there are no definite plans to tour or record right now, there is serious talk of getting together for discussions in the near future. Looks like yet another false alarm. The complete story as reported on tour industry website Pollstar.com can be found here: [pollstar.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 22:56 by TornAndFried.

Re: Stones Summit did not happen
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:10

TornAndFried
The annual Stones "summit" that was reported to have taken place on December 7th in London apparently did not happen after all. According to a radio interview with Ronnie this week the meeting did not take place and in fact, all four band members have not been in the same room or even done a conference call in 3 years. Ronnie went on to say that there are no definite plans to tour or record for now. Looks like yet another false alarm. The complete story as reported on touring industry website Pollstar.com can be found here: [pollstar.com]

At some point I think I am going to start to become angry if I haven't reached that point already! Not that it is going to make any difference.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:11

that summits up...or sums it up, even....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:15

Sad news...Wonder if Keith's book and putdowns of Mick killed any meeting or
the worlds very bad economic conditions made touring a no go?

Date: December 21, 2010 20:22

Perhaps, and also Michael Cohl is currently busy with the Broadway musical ""Spider-Man" which looks set to implode after opening in February? And which will be, after the dust settles, the most expensive bomb in theatrical history. The only saving grace is that Cohl will likely incure huge financial loses from Spider-Man and may urge the boys to do a massive world tour to recoup some of his investment.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:28

TornAndFried
The annual Stones "summit" that was reported to have taken place on December 7th in London apparently did not happen after all. According to a radio interview with Ronnie this week the meeting did not take place and in fact, all four band members have not been in the same room or even done a conference call in about 3 years. Ronnie went on to say that while there are no definite plans to tour or record right now, there is serious talk of getting together for discussions in the near future. Looks like yet another false alarm. The complete story as reported on touring industry website Pollstar.com can be found here: [pollstar.com]

Doesnt say when that interview took place, though. It could well have been done weeks ago and it does actually say he feels its 'high time' they got together and 'that there were plans for the band to begin serious talks about a possible tour, but didn’t say when that discussion might take place'.

Date: December 21, 2010 20:43

"Doesnt say when that interview took place, though. It could well have been done weeks ago...."

The interview with Ronnie took place a few days ago when he was in London to see Paul McCartney at Club 100 and promote his radio show. Had it been some time ago, he would likely have said something along the lines of "we'll all be getting together soon to discuss the plans for the coming year, etc."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 20:45 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 21, 2010 20:50

Maybe they dont even need to be in the same room, as suggested. It speaks volumes for how apart they've grown in recent years.

The last time they were together must have been at the final round of SAL premieres, I would imagine (London 2nd April 2008). Unless they got together after that to sign the Universal deal, which was made public in July 2008.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:56

How was the time schedule for ABB?
Tour announcement in May 2005.

What happened before?

Date: December 21, 2010 20:59

The last time they were together must have been at the final round of SAL premieres, I would imagine (London 2nd April 2008). Unless they got together after that to sign the Universal deal, which was made public in July 2008.

They were all together in New York to promote the "Exile" reissue in May, 2010.

Date: December 21, 2010 21:06

TornAndFried

Including Ronnie?

Date: December 21, 2010 21:10

Gazza
TornAndFried

Including Ronnie?

You're right, no Ronnie...my mistake. Only Mick, Keith and Charlie were out promoting the "Exile" reissue earlier this year.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 22:38 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 21, 2010 21:14

TooTough
How was the time schedule for ABB?
Tour announcement in May 2005.

What happened before?

I think Mick and Keith did some work alone around Sept-Oct (Charlie was still undergoing radiotherapy) and then he joined them for recording from November for a couple of weeks. They did more work for a few days in early March before Ronnie added his contributions after his solo gig which took place on 13th March.

I seem to recall some talk of band activity at Mick's home in France around mid 2004, though.

Tour was announced on 10th May 2005. Rehearsals started mid July.

Edit - from timeisonourside.com

Early March 2004: After only four months off work, the Rolling Stones gather and hold a meeting in Paris,
France, to discuss their next album and tour plans.

June 2004: Charlie Watts is diagnosed with throat cancer.

Early June 2004: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood hold another band meeting in Amsterdam,
the Netherlands.

Mid-June 2004: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards start writing songs and recording demos for the Rolling
Stones' next album at Mick Jagger's home studio, La Fourchette, in Pocé sur Cisse, France.

July-August 2004: Charlie Watts undergoes radiation therapy in London, England.

Charlie Watts (2005-06): Missing the start of the album
I didn't even want the family to come in and see me. The best way - for me at any rate - was to be left alone. Totally alone. Like a dog that's been hurt... You go in there and you're terrified. All the machines, it's like space age stuff. The surgeons and nurses literally have your life in their hands.

I didn't think of the Rolling Stones at all. Mick rang a few times: You have to get well. Don't worry about us. I was sorry not to be there when Mick and Keith were writing. In a way, it was fortuitous, because they were on their own. It was a lot of fun for them, to be together.

July 2004: Ron Wood undergoes another alcohol rehabilitation bout at London's Priory Clinic.

August-September 2004: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards continue recording demos for the Rolling
Stones' next album at La Fourchette and in St. Vincent in the West Indies.

November-early December 2004: The Rolling Stones hold recording sessions for their next album, A
Bigger Bang, their first full album since 1997's Bridges to Babylon, at La Fourchette in Pocé sur Cisse,
France

March 7-9, 2005: The Rolling Stones, minus Ron Wood, continue recording sessions for A Bigger Bang at
Mick Jagger's La Fourchette studio in France.

March 13, 2005: Ron Wood performs a solo concert at the Theatre Royal in London, England, at which Mick Jagger
guests on Dance.

March 14-April 2005: The Rolling Stones continue and complete recording sessions for A Bigger Bang at
La Fourchette studio in Pocé sur Cisse, France.

May 9, 2005: The Rolling Stones rehearse at S.I.R. Studios in New York City.

May 10, 2005: The Rolling Stones perform three songs at the Julliard School of Music in New York City,
then hold a press conference, as a way of announcing their 2005-06 world tour.

June 6-28, 2005: The Rolling Stones hold overdubbing and mixing sessions for A Bigger Bang at Ocean
Way Recording Studios in Los Angeles, California.

July 14-August 9, 2005: Now for the fourth world tour in a row, the Rolling Stones gather in Toronto,
Canada, for rehearsals, this time settling at Greenwood College.

August 10, 2005: The Rolling Stones perform their traditional pre-tour warm-up gig, at the Pheonix
Concert Theatre in Toronto, Canada. Songs include a slowed-down version of 19th Nervous
Breakdown and the covers Mr. Pitiful and Get Up, Stand Up.

August 11-13, 2005: The Rolling Stones complete their tour rehearsals at Greenwood College.

August 18-19, 2005: The Rolling Stones hold their final rehearsals at Boston's Fenway Park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 21:24 by Gazza.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:20

Tranquil, tranquil.
Keith mentioned the meeting will be in January after X-mas.

[stonesnews.com]
[www.bbc.co.uk]
[www.billboard.com]

Etc, etc, etc....

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:37

Here's the original story on which Pollstar have based their article

[www.metro.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 23:29 by monkeymark.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:46

monkeymark
Here's the original story on which Pollstar have based their article

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/850925-ronnie-wood-is-hoping-the-stones-play-glastonbury

Why does this link take me to e-mail?

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:52

At this point, the longer they wait the less likely anything will happen.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:53

R

My feeling as well.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:58

Time to clone them!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 21, 2010 22:08

And we find this surprising do we ? Can't say I do. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if they give a rats ass anymore. The more I think about it, the more I really do think that 26/08/2007 might have been IT !

F**k it, calling Ronnie, calling Ronnie. Round up Mac, Glen, Mick H, and lets have some more of those superb Faces gigs, that'll do me ! Can't be shagged to wait another half century for Mick to call Keith or Keith to call Charlie ... whatever ? It's getting boring !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 21, 2010 22:21

paulywaul

And we find this surprising do we ? Can't say I do. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if they give a rats ass anymore. The more I think about it, the more I really do think that 26/08/2007 might have been IT !

F**k it, calling Ronnie, calling Ronnie. Round up Mac, Glen, Mick H, and lets have some more of those superb Faces gigs, that'll do me ! Can't be shagged to wait another half century for Mick to call Keith or Keith to call Charlie ... whatever ? It's getting boring !

Agree Paul. However, at least in 2012 they just must do something

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 21, 2010 22:26

In Rock and Folk interc=view release this week, Keith says that he will meet with Mick ( and I suppose with Charlie also) after year end festivities. The interview took place in November was in Paris at the Hotel Meurice in November. So everything to be on timing.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 21, 2010 22:29

I still feel very confident that they will tour starting in the fall of 2011 and do the usual jaunt round the world

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 21, 2010 22:42

Nothing to say on subject but of the "band cohesion". The creation of A BIGGER BANG - thanks Gazza - was such a strange deal. That Mick and Keith made the basic tracks by themselves, then Charlie after chemotherapy, joined them to do his thing wih them. And then, after about six months since starting making the record Ronnie finally came to make his (brief) contributions. What a hell?

I mean, during all those days when Mick and Keith or Mick, Keith and Charlie were together recording didn't it occurred to them that "hey, didn't we have one more member, another guitar player or something?" Is that really so much as Ronnie is needed? Or was he on rehab all the time or what?

Yes, it was Mick/Keith thing - and we all liked the idea of them "locking themselves together to kitchen" again, and blah blah... but shit - they still are some kind of band, or are they really ?

I don't know. It is incredible how fvcked up the relationships within the "band" really are. Or can we really talk about band any longer? What the entity called The Rolling Stones is really all about? Does the four-piece band exist - if forget the business partnership - only in imagewise, PR-wise - almost like a boy band posing? On stage there are dozens of guys producing music, lead by musical director, and on studio - when they get there once in a decade or so - there is just two guys - who try to not kill each other - and some additional musicians (if needed, once in awhile).eye popping smiley

But if they continue with the A BIGGER BANG working scheme, it could be very well that Mick had already done the backing tracks by himself - or with Chuck Leavell - at his French castle. Then asks Keith, after he has done his book promo, to add some acoustic guitar strumming and few three-note chuck berry licks into few tracks plus one or two solo ballads keith does mumbles half-sleep drunk. Then asks Charlie to add his bit, and finally Ronnie to one slide guitar number. And oh-la-la, another "Rolling Stones" album is easily born by summer!

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 22:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: December 21, 2010 23:27

smoking smileyWell alright then!Don`t we all feel that we shoulvgive the boys a break then? After all these years what can we really expect? We he discussed every note they bever played, every pout, every stance they ever made but what is next? Could they really be bettere than in 1965, 1970,1973 or even Stockholm in 95? No,not really.I have adored these guys for more than 40 (45) years and I must say I really don´t give a shit any more.They ahve given me so´much pleasure over the years and I really think that now it is really ver or...???

Date: December 21, 2010 23:34

"I really think that now it is over...???"

Not so fast, Masseolle. It's over when WE say it's over...and not before!! >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 23:35 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 21, 2010 23:43

Doxa
Nothing to say on subject but of the "band cohesion". The creation of A BIGGER BANG - thanks Gazza - was such a strange deal. That Mick and Keith made the basic tracks by themselves, then Charlie after chemotherapy, joined them to do his thing wih them. And then, after about six months since starting making the record Ronnie finally came to make his (brief) contributions. What a hell?

I mean, during all those days when Mick and Keith or Mick, Keith and Charlie were together recording didn't it occurred to them that "hey, didn't we have one more member, another guitar player or something?" Is that really so much as Ronnie is needed? Or was he on rehab all the time or what?

Yes, it was Mick/Keith thing - and we all liked the idea of them "locking themselves together to kitchen" again, and blah blah... but shit - they still are some kind of band, or are they really ?

I don't know. It is incredible how fvcked up the relationships within the "band" really are. Or can we really talk about band any longer? What the entity called The Rolling Stones is really all about? Does the four-piece band exist - if forget the business partnership - only in imagewise, PR-wise - almost like a boy band posing? On stage there are dozens of guys producing music, lead by musical director, and on studio - when they get there once in a decade or so - there is just two guys - who try to not kill each other - and some additional musicians (if needed, once in awhile).eye popping smiley

But if they continue with the A BIGGER BANG working scheme, it could be very well that Mick had already done the backing tracks by himself - or with Chuck Leavell - at his French castle. Then asks Keith, after he has done his book promo, to add some acoustic guitar strumming and few three-note chuck berry licks into few tracks plus one or two solo ballads keith does mumbles half-sleep drunk. Then asks Charlie to add his bit, and finally Ronnie to one slide guitar number. And oh-la-la, another "Rolling Stones" album is easily born by summer!

- Doxa

Very well put Doxa,IMO the Stones ceased to be a "band" long time ago,now is just a name.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2010 23:46

Doxa

- Doxa

Oh no, not 'Streets of Love' again!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 22, 2010 00:41

R

Yes, but just think how well-rested they'll be when they DO decide to do something.

Date: December 22, 2010 05:12

Just think how well-rested they'll be when they DO decide to do something.

Yeah, they'll be rested all right....Rest In Peace!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-22 05:47 by TornAndFried.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home