Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman's "People" Magazine Article (February 1988)
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: November 24, 2010 21:13

As taken from "The Rolling Stones Chronicle" by Massimo Bonanno:

February 14, 1988 - Bill Wyman says to People magazine:

"I gave up watching Top of the Pops when I discovered the noise of traffic in the King's Road was a lot more entertaining. I'd rather sit outside a pub and listen to that. You know, most of the groups aren't really singing or playing. They're miming and there's every chance they didn't even play on their own record. These days that's being done by somebody else. The last thing you need worry about is how well you can play. All you have to do well is act at being a pop star: Songwriters, session musicians, synthesizers and pre-recorded tapes take care of all the real work. Our record companies have actually gone backwards in the last ten years. They used to promote original groups who became world-famous. Now they churn out stuff which is either extremely monotonous or indistinguishable from the dross you hear in American supermarkets."

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 21:16 by BrianJones1969.

Re: Bill Wyman's "People" Magazine Article (February 1988)
Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: November 24, 2010 22:04

Not a big fan of his fiancée's career, then.

Date: November 25, 2010 01:06

Squiggle
Not a big fan of his fiancée's career, then.
It, of course, wasn't much, anyways...

~Ben

Date: November 25, 2010 01:25

When Bill says of certain then-new groups, that "they're miming and there's every chance they didn't even play on their own record," one (in)famous example of this is the German pop group Milli Vanilli. Although the two dancers, Rob Pilatus (1965-1998) and Fab Morvan, didn't actually sing on the LP Girl, You Know It's True, they were pictured on the front cover (rather than the seemingly anonymous studio musicians who actually did sing; they would group as The Real Milli Vanilli a short time later).

Thus, as a result, this 1989 LP, although quite successful (three of its singles even hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100), caused so much a backlash in the music industry, that when MV were chosen as the winners for the Best New Artist Grammy award in 1990, Rob and Fab had pointed out they were not the singers on the LP, and had wanted to revoke their Grammy, making 1990 the only year in the history of the Grammy Awards for which no one actually won the Best New Artist/Group award.

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-25 01:28 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:42

Bill is right, but I prefer listens to Fulham Road...

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home