Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 15 years ago jerry garcia passed away
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:13

RIP

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:26

after the beetels I NEVER got this band

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:44

It's not idol hero worship to enjoy someone's music. In the end he paid the ultimate price himself. It's not like he's still alive and counted to tour and cancelling scheduled gigs or anything.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:50

sweetcharmedlife
It's not idol hero worship to enjoy someone's music. In the end he paid the ultimate price himself. It's not like he's still alive and counted to tour and cancelling scheduled gigs or anything.eye popping smiley

Not sure that you really are making a valid point, as I never said merely enjoying someone's music was idol hero worship, NOR did I say that he didn't pay a price for his lifestyle/behavior. I think if you look at my other posts it is pretty clear what I meant, which is that the image of Garcia to a lot of his fans and followers is vastly different to the reality, and I think that those kinds of illusions do not serve us well. As I have made this point repeatedly in this thread I will just leave it there. Those who don't agree, ok by me.

Date: August 10, 2010 02:51

71Tele
sweetcharmedlife

Not sure that you really are making a valid point, as I never said merely enjoying someone's music was idol hero worship, NOR did I say that he didn't pay a price for his lifestyle/behavior. I think if you look at my other posts it is pretty clear what I meant, which is that the image of Garcia to a lot of his fans and followers is vastly different to the reality, and I think that those kinds of illusions do not serve us well. As I have made this point repeatedly in this thread I will just leave it there. Those who don't agree, ok by me.
I was speaking generally. That's why I didn't qoute you. I get your point.

Date: August 10, 2010 02:53

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
sweetcharmedlife

I was speaking generally. That's why I didn't qoute you. I get your point.

Okey dokey...sorry. My mistake.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 10, 2010 03:15

What bugs me about Garcia was how his heroin habit diminished his prolificness as a songwriter. Sure, he and Hunter came up with some gems after he got hooked in 1976 (e.g., Terrapin, Touch of Grey, West L.A. Fadeaway, Black Muddy River, Days Between, and So Many Roads), but there was a time when those two were good for more than an album's worth of gems a year.

It's a damn shame that he squandered his songwriting talent so. On the last Dead studio album, there were more Brent Mydland songs than Jerry Garcia songs.

Date: August 10, 2010 03:23

baxlap
What bugs me about Garcia was how his heroin habit diminished his prolificness as a songwriter. Sure, he and Hunter came up with some gems after he got hooked in 1976 (e.g., Terrapin, Touch of Grey, West L.A. Fadeaway, Black Muddy River, Days Between, and So Many Roads), but there was a time when those two were good for more than an album's worth of gems a year.

It's a damn shame that he squandered his songwriting talent so. On the last Dead studio album, there were more Brent Mydland songs than Jerry Garcia songs.

Didn't it adversely affect his playing as well? he was nearly always seated during their last years, and the old fluidity just wasn't there. He seemed to struggle.

Date: August 10, 2010 03:45

71Tele
baxlap

Didn't it adversely affect his playing as well? he was nearly always seated during their last years, and the old fluidity just wasn't there. He seemed to struggle.

I never saw him play seated. He barely moved and often appeared to be in his own little world, but he always stood.

Heroin killed his voice, particularly in the early '80's. I refer to his singing at the time as his "Jeroin" voice. While he was often more expressive, he often couldn't hit notes and forgot a lot of words.

His played became erratic, particularly when he had carpal tunnel issues toward the end. Sure, he wasn't as fluid, but he remained a compelling improvisation guitarist. When the big guy was on, he could still deliver. Check out a good 1989 or '90 show.

Don't bother with shows from '93 to '95, however. Some of those are just sad.

Date: August 10, 2010 03:48

baxlap
71Tele
baxlap

I never saw him play seated. He barely moved and often appeared to be in his own little world, but he always stood.

Heroin killed his voice, particularly in the early '80's. I refer to his singing at the time as his "Jeroin" voice. While he was often more expressive, he often couldn't hit notes and forgot a lot of words.

His played became erratic, particularly when he had carpal tunnel issues toward the end. Sure, he wasn't as fluid, but he remained a compelling improvisation guitarist. When the big guy was on, he could still deliver. Check out a good 1989 or '90 show.

Don't bother with shows from '93 to '95, however. Some of those are just sad.

Some parallels to Keith, at least as far as the playing fluidity goes...

Date: August 10, 2010 03:53

I see the Jerry/Keef comparisons all too clearly, and they just bum me out.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: August 10, 2010 04:33

I saw the Dead at RFK right before he died. I was on the field about 50' from the stage. They were tight. At least I thought so. They pretty much got off to my satisfaction. But then again, that was the last of about 40 times. Damn shame. F*ckin Jerry - too many ciggies - not too much smack.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 10, 2010 05:19

71Tele
<< While it could be argued that Tele has been a little harsh and ready to argue the issue, there is nothing wrong in him pointing out the truth. I think you do better by those you admire by acknowledging the good equally with the bad, and seeing them for what they are, instead of putting them on a pedestal and blindly finding justifications for faults you would normally so easily damn other less notorious people for. >>

Thank you busted, for making my point better than I did. It's the blind hero-worship aspect that is offensive to me. I don't look at Garcia in terms of moral judgments, deeming him "wrong" or "immoral". I was trying to point out the wide disparity between his and the Dead's hippie-dippie flower power, peace & love image, and the much more complex and darker reality, because I think these distinctions have meaning and are important. I think we should understand our world, musicians, politicians, religious leaders, sports figures, as they really are, not just buy the image we are sold. "Jerry Garcia" was a product and image as much as Tiger Woods or George Bush were. There was, however, a real Jerry Garcia, who was much more complex. It does not take away from his talent. I know that is painful or unpleasant for some people to hear. Was I too harsh in expressing my opinion? Probably, and that's a fault of mine.

I'm glad you appreciate my effort to bring some sensibility to the topic at hand Tele. Personally, I don't think you were too harsh, because I see Jerry the same way you do. I do get the impression I may enjoy and have a bit more reverence for Jerry and the Dead than you, however, but I still agree with you. I am far from a Deadhead though. Studio-wise, after American Beauty they lose me, except for a few random songs. Live-wise, and I know it's suppose to be their strength, they just didn't grab me much. I saw them twice, and they were amazing shows, but more as a whole experience, not because of the music, which I just didn't get.

The Grateful Dead were one of those bands I respected more than I could enjoy. I feel the same about Zappa. I know the guy was great, maybe even a genius, but outside of a few things here and there, I just don't get his music. But I respect what he did, and that's how I feel about the Dead.

I agree with your "I was trying to point out the wide disparity between his and the Dead's hippie-dippie flower power, peace & love image, and the much more complex and darker reality" statement, and I agree the distinctions have meaning and importance too. Jerry and the Dead did put out an ideal, to whatever degree, like you describe, and while they may have pulled it off initially, that ideal involved too much dancing with the devil to be a viable long-term way of life. The others seemed to realize that before Jerry, unfortunately.

Jerry did appear to essentially be a good person, who had a lot of interesting ideals that were progressive and compassionate towards his fellow man. But he also liked getting way high too much, and did not always follow his ideals and do right by his children and wives, especially in his later years. Maybe I'm wrong too, but I just can't go along with these glowing tributes without acknowledging the other side of things.

Speaking of hero-worship to the point it's offensive, when I was writing my first post, I started thinking about a certain scenario, and it's what I meant about people giving their hero's a pass on things they harshly judge others for. I wonder how many people who think so highly of Jerry would feel the same way if he wasn't a great musician who helped shape rock music in the late 60's to early 70's. What if he did everything the same, but wasn't Jerry guitarist for the Dead, and was just another junkie. What if he was married to someone's sister and treated her and their kids the way Jerry did? Would they still be so kind and reverential in their judgments?

Should being a great artist/politician/religious leader/athlete/etc. automatically absolve such a person from such judgments?

Date: August 10, 2010 07:29

baxlap
I see the Jerry/Keef comparisons all too clearly, and they just bum me out.
Yes that can be pretty rough. But Keith is still with us and at least we can still go back and listen to Jerry.

Date: August 10, 2010 07:50

bustedtrousers
71Tele
<< While it could be argued that Tele has been a little harsh and ready to argue the issue, there is nothing wrong in him pointing out the truth. I think you do better by those you admire by acknowledging the good equally with the bad, and seeing them for what they are, instead of putting them on a pedestal and blindly finding justifications for faults you would normally so easily damn other less notorious people for. >>

Thank you busted, for making my point better than I did. It's the blind hero-worship aspect that is offensive to me. I don't look at Garcia in terms of moral judgments, deeming him "wrong" or "immoral". I was trying to point out the wide disparity between his and the Dead's hippie-dippie flower power, peace & love image, and the much more complex and darker reality, because I think these distinctions have meaning and are important. I think we should understand our world, musicians, politicians, religious leaders, sports figures, as they really are, not just buy the image we are sold. "Jerry Garcia" was a product and image as much as Tiger Woods or George Bush were. There was, however, a real Jerry Garcia, who was much more complex. It does not take away from his talent. I know that is painful or unpleasant for some people to hear. Was I too harsh in expressing my opinion? Probably, and that's a fault of mine.

I'm glad you appreciate my effort to bring some sensibility to the topic at hand Tele. Personally, I don't think you were too harsh, because I see Jerry the same way you do. I do get the impression I may enjoy and have a bit more reverence for Jerry and the Dead than you, however, but I still agree with you. I am far from a Deadhead though. Studio-wise, after American Beauty they lose me, except for a few random songs. Live-wise, and I know it's suppose to be their strength, they just didn't grab me much. I saw them twice, and they were amazing shows, but more as a whole experience, not because of the music, which I just didn't get.

The Grateful Dead were one of those bands I respected more than I could enjoy. I feel the same about Zappa. I know the guy was great, maybe even a genius, but outside of a few things here and there, I just don't get his music. But I respect what he did, and that's how I feel about the Dead.

I agree with your "I was trying to point out the wide disparity between his and the Dead's hippie-dippie flower power, peace & love image, and the much more complex and darker reality" statement, and I agree the distinctions have meaning and importance too. Jerry and the Dead did put out an ideal, to whatever degree, like you describe, and while they may have pulled it off initially, that ideal involved too much dancing with the devil to be a viable long-term way of life. The others seemed to realize that before Jerry, unfortunately.

Jerry did appear to essentially be a good person, who had a lot of interesting ideals that were progressive and compassionate towards his fellow man. But he also liked getting way high too much, and did not always follow his ideals and do right by his children and wives, especially in his later years. Maybe I'm wrong too, but I just can't go along with these glowing tributes without acknowledging the other side of things.

Speaking of hero-worship to the point it's offensive, when I was writing my first post, I started thinking about a certain scenario, and it's what I meant about people giving their hero's a pass on things they harshly judge others for. I wonder how many people who think so highly of Jerry would feel the same way if he wasn't a great musician who helped shape rock music in the late 60's to early 70's. What if he did everything the same, but wasn't Jerry guitarist for the Dead, and was just another junkie. What if he was married to someone's sister and treated her and their kids the way Jerry did? Would they still be so kind and reverential in their judgments?

Should being a great artist/politician/religious leader/athlete/etc. automatically absolve such a person from such judgments?

Really good post, bustedtrousers, and I may have inadvertently started a worthwhile discussion, despite the initial nastiness of my first posts on the topic. I understand what you mean by music you can respect more than actually enjoy (I feel that way about Zappa too, by the way, and many others).

For me it's not so much about judging a public figure's character and holding them to an unrealistic standard (or a standard we would not want to be held to ourselves), but trying to avoid falling into the trap of buying an image and creating a relationship with that image. It does bother me when people easily buy into an image because that means they will potentially buy anything. Just look at the recent Tiger Woods scandal. People were only shocked by the revelations because it varied from his squeaky-clean family-man image. But that image was manufactured to begin with, so the outrage was as phony as the image.

I remember how crushed I was (I was very young) when I read Tony Sanchez' book "Up And Down With The Rolling Stones". I was shocked by the behavior by Keith depicted in the book, But that's only because I needed him to be a certain way - the music wasn't enough. The Grateful Dead is an example of a band that is much more than the music, it's a "lifestyle". It is supposed to encompass certain values, which sprang from the hippie movement, the Haight, Summer of Love, etc. Certain people need to live that. But how true is it really when the Big Guru (Jerry) was actually a pretty nasty junkie? It was very hard narcotics he was on, not pot and acid. How he was the last years of his life is fairly well known now, but I remember the denial after he died from Dead fans when the truth started to emerge. It is not much different from the middle aged ladies who refused to believe Elvis was a drug addict for many years before his death. It doesn't fit the image they have constructed, that they needed to believe in.

My point? Enjoy the music, but think for yourself. We are better off without needing to create heroes and gods.

Sorry if this got a little heavy, and again, apologies to any Dead fans I may have offended earlier. I don't get it myself, but some of my best friends are Dead fans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-10 07:57 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2010 15:11

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
A onetime talent who became a wheezing overweight hippie, who in his last years was more interested in his personal desire to shoot up and be a big fat junkie than in his fans, friends, family, or the supposedly trascendent music of the Dead. The myth of Tthe Dead was flower power, acid and pot, but the reality turned out to be heroin and selfishness.

Sorry, but it had to be said.
The same could ve said for Keith Richards.....And no,it didn't have to be said. You could have just left it alone and allowed people who enjoyed Jerry to pay their respects on the anniversary of his death.
well said .very respectful .

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 10, 2010 15:11

Date: August 10, 2010 15:13

71Tele
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
A onetime talent who became a wheezing overweight hippie, who in his last years was more interested in his personal desire to shoot up and be a big fat junkie than in his fans, friends, family, or the supposedly trascendent music of the Dead. The myth of Tthe Dead was flower power, acid and pot, but the reality turned out to be heroin and selfishness.

Sorry, but it had to be said.
The same could ve said for Keith Richards.....And no,it didn't have to be said. You could have just left it alone and allowed people who enjoyed Jerry to pay their respects on the anniversary of his death.
really , you should talk to insiders that know the real story .

If someone enjoys Jerry Garcia, why would whatever I say stop them? Not for me to allow it or not allow it. And yes, the same could be said for Keith Richards, except for that he mostly was able to overcome his selfish behavior.

Date: August 10, 2010 15:22

71Tele

i dont care what so and so does after hours or when they, he , she is not touring or recording new music .it's fun to read page six for gossip and stuff like that but that as far as it goes for me . i believe in peoples privacy being respected .i for one do not want anybody peeping in my windows .to me it's not hero worship it's getting your money's worth from your favorite source of entertainment whether it's music , sports , politics ,whatever your fancy is .life is full of fun and we all should go out there and grab as much as we can .

Date: August 10, 2010 15:28

71Tele
baxlap

dead wrong i saw the dead on there final couple weeks in 1995 and jerry was standing and still rocking out on rosebud(his guitar).

Date: August 10, 2010 16:11

jerry had more material when the band recorded built to last. he also had 4-6 new tunes from 1990-1995 that were for the next album that was never done

Date: August 10, 2010 16:39

Somebody ought to dose 71 tele with a sheet of the brown acid!!!

RIP...Captain Trips smiling smiley

Date: August 10, 2010 17:28

Who's Driving Your Plane?

damn right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 10, 2010 17:39

No that's allright. I think Jerry can say it for us.
"Please don't dominate the rap, jack, if you've got nothing new to say"

Date: August 10, 2010 18:12

Phil Lesh, Bob Weir and Jeff Pehrson singing the national anthem at the San Francisco Giants game last night on Jerry Garcia tribute night.

Date: August 10, 2010 18:25

No dosing needed...But thanks for thinking of me!cool smiley

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 11, 2010 07:34

sweetcharmedlife
No that's allright. I think Jerry can say it for us.
"Please don't dominate the rap, jack, if you've got nothing new to say"

And what did anything Jerry, or the Dead, have to say that could be considered new after the mid-70's?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home