Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
On this day : "Rock & Roll Worst Day, Altamont Dec 6th 1969.
Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:08

Any comments?

Re: On this day : "Rock & Roll Worst Day, Altamont Dec 6th 1969.
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:20

I think there were worst day's in rock and roll concert .........all those kids that got killed in the rushed panic crowd

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:33

Floorbird
Any comments?

Not even close IMO.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:53

I think it was the worst day. Up til this point, and especially that year, there had not murder and dark turgid evil violence associated materially with rock n roll. Claims of mayhem of this sort had been the bastion of uptight nattering nabobs and naysayers. And then it manifested. With the Stones of all groups at the helm, just as those naysayers had been predicting would come to fruition.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:57

What is the criteria for selecting 'Rock and Roll's Worst Day'? The number of fatalities? If so then Cincinnati, Ohio in 1982 I think. 11 people crushed to death as they attempted to enter a venue where The Who were playing. Altamont saw 4 deaths so by that criteria Altamont wouldn't qualify, at least in my view, as 'Rock and Roll's Worst Day'...

Posted by: Damon ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:58

living in the bay area I sometimes drive by altamont or at least see the signs.

yeah bad day bad vibe that guy who got killed pretty much asked for something
to happen to him.

kinda like death by cop suicide, what do people expect if he pulled out a gun and
was making threats ? what a idiot...sorry it happened

sue me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-07 01:59 by Damon.

Date: December 7, 2010 02:09

It is a bad day because of the movie, if there wasn't a movie we just talked about it as an bad incident, I think 99 % of the audience didn't even know what happen't in front and they probably had a good time

Date: December 7, 2010 02:20

check out this video it's about Meredith Hunter

Date: December 7, 2010 02:23

NICOS
It is a bad day because of the movie, if there wasn't a movie we just talked about it as an bad incident, I think 99 % of the audience didn't even know what happen't in front and they probably had a good time

but if it wasn't on film justice probably would not have been served one way or the other...could have been a witch hunt and many people could have went down, I don't know but I think the video showing the gun and who stabbed who might have been a blessing in disguise.

forget everything I say thanks.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 7, 2010 02:24

NICOS

totally agree- a Maysles production

(a friend of mine who was there equates it to having a mosh pit in front today- common sense said you stay back a bit and she said they were still very close and the sound was actually decent. she saw them at the forum as well that tour and said this blew it away - better set list, etc. she also walked right up the helicopter as they left to get a glimpse, saying at that point security was almost non existent)

Date: December 7, 2010 02:49

Damon
check out this video it's about Meredith Hunter

On the other hand it a sad story.........didn't his girlfriend spoke about him she was the closed when all this happened ?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 7, 2010 03:21

Roskilde was also a very dark day in music history.

Date: December 7, 2010 03:22

NICOS

It was well-know and -publicized at the time. People in America were talking about Altamont---it wasn't like it is now with a trillion rock concerts and festivals. Altamont was a big deal in 1969. Even without what went down. It was the same year as Woodstock, as yall know. I was very little at the time--but have very vivid accurate memory from the time I was 3 or 4 and remember all the hubbub about popular culture and rock and roll and activism---largely because it was always on TV with very vivid images and commentary.

Altamont was seen as significant---a huge bummer---and symbolic to not just "rock and roll fans" (who were all under 30 at that time) but all of America. It was discussed far and wide.

The retained collective memory of Altamont has little to do with the movie. It was a mile marker in American cultural history.

- swiss

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 7, 2010 03:28

ChrisM
What is the criteria for selecting 'Rock and Roll's Worst Day'? The number of fatalities? If so then Cincinnati, Ohio in 1982 I think. 11 people crushed to death as they attempted to enter a venue where The Who were playing. Altamont saw 4 deaths so by that criteria Altamont wouldn't qualify, at least in my view, as 'Rock and Roll's Worst Day'...

It was 1979 actually. Just three days ago too, December 3rd. I think it and John Lennon's murder rank up there pretty high as the worst.

Date: December 7, 2010 03:43

swiss
NICOS

It was well-know and -publicized at the time. People in America were talking about Altamont---it wasn't like it is now with a trillion rock concerts and festivals. Altamont was a big deal in 1969. Even without what went down. It was the same year as Woodstock, as yall know. I was very little at the time--but have very vivid accurate memory from the time I was 3 or 4 and remember all the hubbub about popular culture and rock and roll and activism---largely because it was always on TV with very vivid images and commentary.

Altamont was seen as significant---a huge bummer---and symbolic to not just "rock and roll fans" (who were all under 30 at that time) but all of America. It was discussed far and wide.

The retained collective memory of Altamont has little to do with the movie. It was a mile marker in American cultural history.

- swiss

Disagree Swiss,I was 15/16 back then, I remember Woodstock very well but can't remember the whole Altamont thing in 1970.
I think I saw the movie around 75

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 7, 2010 03:43

NICOS
I think 99 % of the audience didn't even know what happen't in front and they probably had a good time

Here's a post from a 2-1/2 year-old thread that pretty much verifies your statement.

The poster, "soundcheck," claims to have been there.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: December 7, 2010 03:52

Edith Grove
NICOS
I think 99 % of the audience didn't even know what happen't in front and they probably had a good time

Here's a post from a 2-1/2 year-old thread that pretty much verifies your statement.

The poster, "soundcheck," claims to have been there.

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks Edit G, I remember this discussion.........pity there aren't more people who could write down there experience, 4/500.000 people !!! there must more out there

Date: December 7, 2010 04:00

I interviewed Chris Hillman recently - he said, as a performer, it sucked - but a lot of festivals back then sucked in terms of sound, security, food, etc - but that the Angels made this one particularly bad - he also said he had friends there who loved the show and that it took a long time for that to become this 'dark" day - that he felt the movie and then the media sort of helped it along -- you wonder - if Hunter had not been killed - would it have been just another poorly run festival?

Date: December 7, 2010 04:03

swiss--if you're nearby up there - it's worth a trip to the site- very haunting today in light of everything

remember that rare footage?

Date: December 7, 2010 04:06

and a short nerd video i made a few years ago - that video footage at the end i shot pretty much from the exact stage site - a person joined us who had been there that day, went back many times after that for races, and made great mental notes

Date: December 7, 2010 04:14

bustedtrousers
John Lennon's murder rank up there pretty high as the worst.

I'd agree.

Date: December 7, 2010 04:17

swiss
bustedtrousers
John Lennon's murder rank up there pretty high as the worst.

I'd agree.

I agree too THAT was the baddest

Date: December 7, 2010 04:19

Much as I don't go in for ists or ests - I think I'd vote a tie with Lennon and Buddy Holly's plane crash with R Valens and Big Bopper

Date: December 7, 2010 04:26

There is a different between killing and accidents HB......

Date: December 7, 2010 04:29

NICOS
swiss
NICOS

- swiss

Disagree Swiss,I was 15/16 back then, I remember Woodstock very well but can't remember the whole Altamont thing in 1970.
I think I saw the movie around 75

hi Nico, hope my post didn't sound too bossy - I was on the phone as I was tyoing and trying to focus on both smiling smiley

I believe you're in the Netherlands now, is that right? Were you growing up in America when Altamont went down? (1969) Also, curious where...cuz I remember even my parents friends at parties (this was NY) talking about these developments.

Not as "Altamont" as we call it now, but like: "that horrible thing that happened out in bizarre California with those terrible Rolling Stones and the poor boy who was killed." And such conversation would have been with some adults thinking this all (Woodstock to Altamont) was an indication of the world going to hell in a hand basket and others thinking--like the ones who started getting mantras and doing TM and serving exotic India hors d'hoeurvres (gasp! curry!) at cocktail parties--hmmm, this is kind of interesting, more power to these kids (but still "such a shame what those awful Rolling Stones did in California--they're nothing but trouble---just look at them!"). So much was happening and their kids were all "going crazy" protesting, growing their hair, not taking showers regularly, not wanting to go to church, consorting with Negroes, listening to loud decadent music, burning incense in their rooms, looking glassy eyed and flashing the Peace symbol, not properly respecting the flag, seeming to have a connection with young people who they didn't even know, wherever they'd go as a family. There was much discussion about Woodstock---and the other bookend, which was highly publicized because of the shooting, the concert in December, not even 4 months later, in California, in Altamont.

That's my take...when I have a few minutes I'll dig around and post some contemporaneous articles from that time so we can see the rhetoric used, and possibly get a sense of how the even was seen at the time.

Altamont was a loss of one of rock n roll's 9 lives. John Lennon's death was too. And personally more tragic to more people because by the time he died the babyboomers and the next generations, worldwide, loved John.

Date: December 7, 2010 05:00

NICOS
There is a different between killing and accidents HB......

NICOS- I know that - but "worst" can be defined lots of ways - loss is still loss and I'm sure that Buddy Holly's wife and the other spouses felt no less worse than Yoko Ono did - in terms of impact, Buddy was just sort of getting going and may have affected things dramatically had he lived - his work with strings at the time of his death was leading to some breakthrough sounds - but it's all subjective - both belong on the list obviously of rock and roll catastrophes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-07 05:07 by hbwriter.

Date: December 7, 2010 05:13

Swiss--what do you think of this take?

[articles.courant.com]

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: December 7, 2010 06:29

Damn, Damon is not even TRYing to hide his racism. I guess he doesn't have to, though...he's clearly among friends...

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-07 06:33 by stateofshock.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: December 7, 2010 06:34

Damon
yeah bad day bad vibe that guy who got killed pretty much asked for something
to happen to him.

kinda like death by cop suicide, what do people expect if he pulled out a gun and
was making threats ? what a idiot...sorry it happened

sue me...

I'd rather punch you, you bigot.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Date: December 7, 2010 07:29

That's not fair calling me a bigot.
I don't see it as a black vs white thing.
Personally I deplore the hells angels and violence.

Sorry you think that way of me.

But I don't see how I said anything bigoted.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home