Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live vs Studio
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 2, 2010 04:19

It has most likely been discussed previously but here I go

Which do you prefer in general , Live or studio ?

I generally like the studio versions but every once in a while a gem will appear .

Elmo will most likely find a previous discussion LOL smoking smiley

Re: Live vs Studio
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 2, 2010 06:51

Mick doesn't even attempt to really sing live these days - just scream or speak, so studio is far superior. But as you state, there are certainly gems - i love Ya Yas, and Brussels, for example.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 2, 2010 08:01

LeonidP
Mick doesn't even attempt to really sing live these days - just scream or speak, so studio is far superior. But as you state, there are certainly gems - i love Ya Yas, and Brussels, for example.

Exactly what LeonidP said smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-03 05:16 by swiss.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: December 2, 2010 08:13

I think the Stones were always more of a "live band" than a studio one...I'd take Brussels, Hampton, Handsome Girls, Leeds 71' or Ya Ya's over the studio versions anytime.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 2, 2010 08:28

The natural answer should be Live, but in Stones case it is studio...it isn't easy runnin around like Mick does and give the singing full justice...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: December 2, 2010 13:02

You mean live or studio versions of songs? In many cases (not at all, all) live until about 78, maybe into 81 and even 89 (Undercover of the Night). Since then, studio versions are to be prefered, so to speak. Often mainly due to Jagger's saving-his-voice live singing, I must say.

Date: December 2, 2010 13:13

LeonidP

wtf? He is singing more than ever, now that he has learned how to sing. For screaming and growling, try the 1975/76 tour.

Date: December 2, 2010 13:15

It's not easy to give one definite answer to your question. UMT, for instance, is imo better live (81 tour) than on record. The studio version of Sway is far superior to the BB live versions.

Date: December 2, 2010 13:24

Right! Mick's supposed to scream and growl. Admittedly, sometimes during the 75/76 tour he overdid it. 78 is fantastic very much due to Jagger's singing (screaming/growling/vocals, call it what you want). Now, look at Voodoo Lounge; on the record there's a lot of great singing, screaming and growling. During the tour; no growling nor screaming. You know why? Saving his voice. Quite boring to listen to.

Date: December 2, 2010 13:25

Mick's live vocals from 1969 to the beginning of the 1981 tour, are (mostly) truly fantastic!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 2, 2010 15:50

does anybody like the streets of love studio version more than the live version??

Date: December 2, 2010 15:56

Don't like neither, but I guess the live one has more edge. Cleancut unrock'n'roll like vocals, like it should be, on a song like that.

Mind, Out of Control was (mostly) better live than on the record. There are a couple of latter(?) day examples!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 2, 2010 15:58

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

wtf? He is singing more than ever, now that he has learned how to sing. For screaming and growling, try the 1975/76 tour.

Disagree completely for 1975. If you put 1975 and 1976 in the same section - then you haven't really heard much more than Love You Live or the "video LA 1975" show. Jagger's best EVER performances took place in 1975.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-02 15:59 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: December 2, 2010 16:37

Studio basically though I enjoy the live stuff from 63-78

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 2, 2010 17:35

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

Yes, in the studio he's singing. Never live, he basically talks/yells with no singing (maybe on slower songs but certainly not on songs like Jumping Jack Flash or Satisfaction). In the 60s/70s he used to at least attempt to sing songs like Jumping Jack Flash.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 2, 2010 22:00

Seems like Jagger forgot the words more on the 75-76 Tour than any other! Wonder whats that all about?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2010 00:23

let's see - we've had one album in the last 13 years? hmmmm...i'm gonna have to go with....LIVE

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 3, 2010 09:42

depends on the song

a few better live
1. midnight rambler
2. brown sugar
3. star star

a few better in the studio
1. jumpin jack flash
2. you can't always get what you want
3. tumbling dice

Date: December 3, 2010 14:40

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

Disagree completely for 1975. If you put 1975 and 1976 in the same section - then you haven't really heard much more than Love You Live or the "video LA 1975" show. Jagger's best EVER performances took place in 1975.

Well, I don't agree with that, but you got a point. He did better in 75 than in 76. Of course, I have lots of 75-boots, my favourite being "Hold On Tight". IMO, his performance there (or in the LA-shows for that matter) doesn't hold a candle to the Handsome Girls shows or the 1972 shows. But each to his own.

Date: December 3, 2010 14:42

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

Yes, in the studio he's singing. Never live, he basically talks/yells with no singing (maybe on slower songs but certainly not on songs like Jumping Jack Flash or Satisfaction). In the 60s/70s he used to at least attempt to sing songs like Jumping Jack Flash.

He's always done that live. It's part of how he acts on stage (moving a lot and running like a madman). The difference today is that he saves his punch (growling, screaming) on stage.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 3, 2010 16:42

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

Well, I don't agree with that, but you got a point. He did better in 75 than in 76. Of course, I have lots of 75-boots, my favourite being "Hold On Tight". IMO, his performance there (or in the LA-shows for that matter) doesn't hold a candle to the Handsome Girls shows or the 1972 shows. But each to his own.

Allthough the performance featured on "Hold On Tight" was terrific.....Jagger's voice was completely shot. Try LA July 9th, Seattle July 18th, Boston June 11th or Fort Collins July 20th for fantastic Jagger vocals.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 3, 2010 16:56

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

I was just about to write the same, then I spotted your post, Dandeloin, so I just second that

I usually prefer live versions by the way, since that is the real thing or should be, if it is not a victim of overdubs.

Of course in "the old days" the studio work was much more authentic than today, just the band was more focussed, were not distracted and could do more takes. With today's technology anyone can make a record that will sound professional on his own laptop. I am speaking abou technical quallity, not about the quiallity of songs of course.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 3, 2010 17:10

hockenheim95
does anybody like the streets of love studio version more than the live version??

Don't like EITHER one of 'em. Awful. In fact, not one of the Bang songs came off live better than the record.

I'm with the crowd that likes how Under My Thumb was for the 81/82 tours - it's simply a kick ass rock'n'roll song that way and the version on Still Life, regardless if there are overdubs or not, is excellent.

Other live faves over studio:

Honky Tonk Women from Love You Live - this is SUPERIOR to the single version

Start Me Up from Flashpoint (and the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours in general) - a million times better than the LP version

Shattered from the Voodoo tour - I like how they played it on that tour much better than any other tour. I like the LP version but I love this version more so.

Black Limousine from the Stripped single Like A Rolling Stone - this just blows the LP version away.

There are a few others but it really starts to fall off after those few. I really liked how they did Monkey Man on the Licks tour (and even Voodoo tour) but it was essentially a very faithful copy of the LP version except for Lisa's horrible screaming.

Date: December 3, 2010 17:16

skipstone
Black Limousine from the Stripped single Like A Rolling Stone - this just blows the LP version away.

can't agree with you there - but the live versions from 81/82 do blow away the studio version....ronnie's use of slide on the stripped version just doesn't measure up to his straight work on it during the tattoo you tour....

Date: December 3, 2010 17:17

Oh - well, my favourite part of Black Limo from the LARS single is Keith's SOLO!

Date: December 3, 2010 17:18

skipstone
Oh - well, my favourite part of Black Limo from the LARS single is Keith's SOLO!

yeah, but that was dubbed in....as proven by listening to the live/audience recording....

Date: December 3, 2010 17:27

AUUUGGGHHH!!!!! Not again! I thought it was Ronnie's slide solo that was dubbed! Well, it's still a good solo ha ha...

Date: December 3, 2010 17:30

skipstone
AUUUGGGHHH!!!!! Not again! I thought it was Ronnie's slide solo that was dubbed! Well, it's still a good solo ha ha...

actually the whole song was dubbed in, but i've already disturbed your day enuff....

Date: December 3, 2010 17:50

Ha ha ha ha. You are brilliantly evil!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: December 3, 2010 19:45

Another song that sounds better live than on the studio is When The Whip Comes Down, the Hampton version is one of the great moments in The Stones' live history.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home