Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Goodbye Girl"
Date: February 13, 2010 22:32

I just heard this tune in such major upgrade of clarity that it came on like a new unheard tune. This is a boot made from the "Original Master Tapes" it says. All the Chess Session ; both the 64 sessions and one in '65. Whoever made it - the sound is astounding. I think the disc is called "2120 So Michigan Avenue (The Unreleased Blues Album)". "Goodbye Girl" doesn't sound like a 2nd rate Beach Boys tune but like a powerful rocker. "Key To The Highway" with Jagger on lead vocals. A very different version of "Have Mercy". The organ version of "Time is on my side", and probably the hottest rendition of "Fanny Mae" among others. Does anyone know about this release? is it circulating? The most amazing part about this album is the clarity and punch of Bass and drums.

Re: "Goodbye Girl"
Date: February 14, 2010 19:08

Pre-beggars Banquet Stones are a bad sell on IORR. They don't get the hits and posts. This recording is going up there with Sydney 73, Boston 69, Brussels 73, Leeds 71, Pigalle 77 and Memphis 78.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 14, 2010 20:12

wait til the work week starts, Palace (or the "work" week--when more people post)... I'm hoping someone reads this and posts the discs in Hot Stuff.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: February 14, 2010 20:44

I wouldnt mind some of that as well,can anyone track it down and post.cheers

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 2, 2010 21:42

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 2, 2010 21:45

I recall reading somewhere that Bill wrote this track!? Where did I read that and is it true!?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 2, 2010 22:42

Nice find! Sounds like rhythm and blues to me. Love it.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 2, 2010 23:54

I thought this was a thread about the David Gates song.....
I'm slightly disappointed.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 3, 2010 04:40

Nice one, Edith old girl.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 3, 2010 05:02

reminds me of Down HOme Girl. I like it

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 3, 2010 12:37

His Majesty
I recall reading somewhere that Bill wrote this track!? Where did I read that and is it true!?

Bill himself about the 1964-11-08 Chess session: (from "Stone Alone" )

...we recorded all day and cut five or six tracks of strong material, including Don Covay´s Mercy Mercy, Little Walter´s Key to the Highway, Mick and Keith´s What a Shame
and my own composition, Goodbye Girl (which was never released).

Date: December 3, 2010 12:41

...still looking for that CD 2120 SM Av - on Discogs, but I can't find it (for sale)?! I do want the 'original' CD though; not a CD-R copy or download...

Anybody able to help??
Cheerz - smileys with beer

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Rollover1970 ()
Date: December 3, 2010 14:18

Edith Grove

Greetings! Same record The Rolling Stones :

1. Goodbye Girl
2. Key To The Highway
3. Mercy Mercy
(8th November 1964: Chess Studios, Chicago)

During their 2nd U.S. tour (& their first really successful one) they again spent a couple of days at the Chess studios in Chicago, though the results weren’t quite as consistent as before. ‘Goodbye Girl’ (also known as ‘Get Back To The One You Love’) is a rare Bill Wyman composition sung by Mick, & although it’s no ‘Satisfaction’ it’s still a pretty good rhythm ‘n’ blues-pop song. ‘Key To The Highway’ is the Muddy Waters song & sounds more like a ‘jam’ than an attempt at a polished take, & ‘Mercy Mercy’ is a faster but weaker early version of a song that they’d later re-cut

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2010 23:16

‘Key To The Highway’ is the Muddy Waters.........Broonzy

ROCKMAN

Date: December 3, 2010 23:45

Rockman

"Mercy Mercy" is Don Covay/Ronnie Miller...............Don Covay and the Goodtimers winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2010 23:49

"Mercy Mercy" is Don Covay/Ronnie Miller...............Don Covay and the Goodtimers ....

Yep!!! ...with Hendrix on guitar

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2010 13:41

Rollover1970
Rockman

"Mercy Mercy" is Don Covay/Ronnie Miller...............Don Covay and the Goodtimers winking smiley

Really? Also it is possible to listen?confused smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 4, 2010 16:55

rootsman
His Majesty

Bill himself about the 1964-11-08 Chess session: (from "Stone Alone" )

...we recorded all day and cut five or six tracks of strong material, including Don Covay´s Mercy Mercy, Little Walter´s Key to the Highway, Mick and Keith´s What a Shame
and my own composition, Goodbye Girl (which was never released).

smileys with beer

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 4, 2010 18:00

a fine cut... nice raw solo from keith, and fair vocal from mick--don't know why he couldn't get used to a "jagger-wyman" partnership.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home