Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Say It With Dead Flowers"
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 24, 2010 18:17

The last chorus of Dead Flowers always makes me smile - "Say it with Dead flowers" vs. "Send me Dead Flowers" - to me it's a great example of the Stones' sense of humor and nuance - you may know that "Say it..." was an old time expression -

(“Say it with flowers” started as a slogan - and Interflora 1917 (Advertising Agency – PF O’Keefe Advertising Agency)

it's not a big deal obviously - it's a little thing - but it's those little things (and there are hundreds of them) that for me help define this band - the devil's in the details they say - never more true than with the Stones

Re: "Say It With Dead Flowers"
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 24, 2010 19:32

Since we are talking about little things, maybe you can answer my question, hbwriter, which I have asked here before but still remains unanswered:-

When singing this number, I prefer to sing the second verse as "... in your long black Cadillac ...". Now I am pretty sure that I heard Mick singing it in exactly these words some time during the VL tour. Now I checked the Stripped (Paradiso 95) version, where I only hear it as "... in your long pink Cadillac ...". But I can't find any example for my perception of "... long black Cadillac ...". Can anyone help and confirm this long black Cadillac-version of the lyrics?

Date: November 24, 2010 20:10

dead-i haven't a clue

Date: November 25, 2010 02:52

hbwriter
The last chorus of Dead Flowers always makes me smile - "Say it with Dead flowers" vs. "Send me Dead Flowers" - to me it's a great example of the Stones' sense of humor and nuance - you may know that "Say it..." was an old time expression -

(“Say it with flowers” started as a slogan - and Interflora 1917 (Advertising Agency – PF O’Keefe Advertising Agency)

it's not a big deal obviously - it's a little thing - but it's those little things (and there are hundreds of them) that for me help define this band - the devil's in the details they say - never more true than with the Stones

Isn't there one other difference in that last chorus? there are the two clinks Charlie does on the bell of the ride cymbal, but the lyrics also add "Us Mail" instead of just "mail". What I always like is that Jagger will remind Keith of these little changes when they are singing it together. I always feel that he does the reminder for showman's reasons.

As far as that little change goes - the Stones do stuff like that fairly often. Not so much the inside joke of the lyrics, but since many of their tunes are either Blues based 1-4-5 songs, or maybe A to D songs, they have to make their differentiating points in other, more subtle ways.
Often it will be the length of a chord, or a high note. Eg.
Before going into the chorus of "Out of Control", they differ how long they hold "tell me how have I changed" before going into the chorus.
Or in "Beast of Burden" they hold out the second "I'm not too blind to see" twice as long as the first one.

Date: November 25, 2010 04:11

Palace - very well put

Date: November 25, 2010 12:34

Palace Revolution 2000
the lyrics also add "Us Mail" instead of just "mail".

..and it changes the pace & rhythm of that line completely. I luv it too!!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: November 25, 2010 15:07

dead.flowers
Since we are talking about little things, maybe you can answer my question, hbwriter, which I have asked here before but still remains unanswered:-

When singing this number, I prefer to sing the second verse as "... in your long black Cadillac ...". Now I am pretty sure that I heard Mick singing it in exactly these words some time during the VL tour. Now I checked the Stripped (Paradiso 95) version, where I only hear it as "... in your long pink Cadillac ...". But I can't find any example for my perception of "... long black Cadillac ...". Can anyone help and confirm this long black Cadillac-version of the lyrics?

I've only heard "long pink" and of course the album line; "rose pink Cadillac".

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 25, 2010 16:56

DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers

I've only heard "long pink" and of course the album line; "rose pink Cadillac".

You're right, DandelionPowderman, "rose pink Cadillac" on the original studio version and "long pink" on the live Stripped version. However, I am so sure I heard Mick sing it as "long black Cadillac" and it must have been on the VL European tour. That question still bothers me. Maybe there's some youtube clip around that confirms that particular wording.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2382
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home