Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Croweology
Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 3, 2010 13:15

two cds of mostly acoustic renditions of the Black Crowes back catalog, plus Gram's "She"... sweet!

Re: OT: Croweology
Date: August 3, 2010 13:32

i may get it. its $7.99 at bestbuy this week

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 15:06

Just checked on BestBuy's site and it doesn't have the track listing. Does that version come with the 2 bonus tracks, for a total of 22 songs??

Date: August 3, 2010 15:14

no clue. i can't find what store or music download site the bonus tracks are for

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 15:39

Yes, I downloaded it from iTunes, two bonus tracks: Willin' ; Boomer's Story. Cool artwork too. The version of My Morning Song is amazing. A full on revival and tambourine shaking revival.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 3, 2010 15:40

Boomer's Story...! I remember that tune, Ry Cooder used to play it. now I have to check the Crowes out... thanks

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 3, 2010 16:39

One of the LAST hopes for ROCK 'N ROLL!

GREAT GREAT BAND

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 17:31

Just listening to the download from iTunes. Love this record & love the Crowes.
I hope that they will play some European concerts before their next hiatus after the tour.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 3, 2010 17:53

Been a great last 12 months for Crowes' fans and now this. Still playing Before The Frost to death. And the DVD too.

Posted by: mothra665 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 18:53

[john1982]

may i ask a favor?
did you get the 2 bonus tracks w/ your itunes dl?
i do not have itunes and was wondering if you could be so kind to "share the ride" [pun intended].
could you email the 2 tracks?
-boomers
-willin

just add @aol.com after my screen name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-03 18:53 by mothra665.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 3, 2010 19:07

mickscarey

GREAT GREAT BAND

absolutely mickscarey!!!

they are opening the tour here in Milwaukee on Aug 13th.
any Milwaukee area IORRers checking it out?? Let me know. Would love to meet you.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 19:12

mickscarey

GREAT GREAT BAND

lol

don't make me laugh

these guys are revisionalists without a hint of originality at all; the guitarists are good, the drummer is great, but the singer is god awful; and they are a bore in concert, unless lousy repetitive 10 minute solo's going nowhere turn you on; there's no duane allman or dickey betts in this band, much as they might think there is

..for a real rock band that has been around longer, has put out more and better records; a band the more inventive over 20 years that the crowes couldn't even dream of being

Three Pistols

I'll Believe In You (Or Be Leaving You Tonight)

Nautical Disaster

Get Back Again

These are the guys that put the bullet in the heads of Canadian hair bands in 1988.

Second and fourth links have live concert footage; one and three just audio. Enjoy.

Sorry for all the edits; took a while to figure out the URL bit; not exactly a computer wizard here. Cheers

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-03 19:29 by stones77.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 3, 2010 21:44

Chris Robinson is a great singer...I don't think anyone could have done as great a job as he did singing Robert Plant's parts on the tour with Jimmy Page. And that goes for the whole band too...I don't think Page could have picked a better band to back him.

I grew up in the same area as the Robinson Bros. Saw'em back when they were still called 'Mr. Crowe's Garden', and my ex-wife went to the same high school as the Robinson Bros.

Date: August 3, 2010 21:51

I don't need them to be inventive, I want them to play kick ass rock and roll.
they said main influences for Croweology are Beggars Banquet and Every Picture Tells A Story - 2 great albums.
so...

Date: August 3, 2010 21:56

So are the 2 songs only available thru iTunes? Wonder if they're on the Japanese version.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:28

I don't want to hijack the thread - I LOVE the Crowes - My wife, my 15 year old daughter and I have 3rd row seats to see them when they come to Knoxville in September - but...

I would like to ask stones77 (or others) if they'd be willing to recommend some of their favorite Tragicly Hip albums for me. I was doing some shopping on Amazon this morning (ordered Croweolgy among others) and noticed that there is a bunch of their stuff available for next to nothing. Listened to some samples, and while I don't know that I'll end up liking them more than the Crowes, I'd like to start checking them out.

Thanks in advance,

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 3, 2010 22:44

OK I'm thinking that the Japanese edition, which seems to be coming out in the next couple of weeks is going to have the bonus tracks, I'm thinking, so I'm going to wait and order that one!!

Date: August 3, 2010 23:05

This is sort of a weird question- Anyone know if either Chris or Rich Robinson played in the high school band?

The reason I'm asking is my jr. high school band director, who taught me how to play sax, was the band director at the Robinson Bros.'s school while they went there. I know its stupid and 'who cares' but I'd like to know.

Date: August 4, 2010 01:13

Amused
they said main influences for Croweology are Beggars Banquet and Every Picture Tells A Story - 2 great albums.
so...

chris robinson is a great singer? hardly - he's nasal to the point of irritation and has absolutely no range at all .. and his stage movements are rod stewart/mick jagger circa early 70s rip offs..except without any of the command of movement those two had

.. I'd suggest just listening to the two real albums, not the copycat version

not to mention the crowes were copycats with all that stupid aleister crowley crap, too, it was boring enough the first time around when jimmy page dragged zeppelin through all that nonsense

black crowes are ok, but essentially just an overrated bar band

Date: August 4, 2010 01:24

> he's nasal to the point of irritation and has absolutely no range at all
Otis Redding wasn't technically wonderful, too - but he remains one of the best singers ever...

> I'd suggest just listening to the two real albums, not the copycat version
oh yeah I do, I know every note. now's the time to get to something new...

> black crowes are ok, but essentially just an overrated bar band

see, I'd love to live in a world or time when they're "just ok". they're one of the best bands around today...

Date: August 4, 2010 01:31

mr_dja
I don't want to hijack the thread - I LOVE the Crowes - My wife, my 15 year old daughter and I have 3rd row seats to see them when they come to Knoxville in September - but...

I would like to ask stones77 (or others) if they'd be willing to recommend some of their favorite Tragicly Hip albums for me. I was doing some shopping on Amazon this morning (ordered Croweolgy among others) and noticed that there is a bunch of their stuff available for next to nothing. Listened to some samples, and while I don't know that I'll end up liking them more than the Crowes, I'd like to start checking them out.

Thanks in advance,

Peace,
Mr DJA

No problem. I saw both bands when they were bar bands and starting out, Tragically Hip around 1988 and the Crowes maybe a year later, and the Tragically Hip was better then, too. Tragically Hip's first record was released 1989 and the Crowes first record was released in 1990.

The Crowes record sold 6 million. The Hip's sold 1 million, pretty much 100% of it all in Canada. Which debut is better?

You can be the judge, but in my opinion and the opinion of countless others who are aware of both bands, the Tragically Hip's first record is not only far better than the Crowes first, but is also one of the great unknown rock and roll records there is, period.

'Jealous Again' wouldn't even make the cut to be on the first Hip record. Neither would most of the rest of SYMM .

Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker

Tragically Hip - Up To Here

Start there, at the beginning. If you like that then compare the next Tragically Hip record, 'Road Apples' to 'Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.' It's better than the Crowes second record too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-04 01:37 by stones77.

Date: August 4, 2010 01:35

stones77
Amused
so...

chris robinson is a great singer? hardly - he's nasal to the point of irritation and has absolutely no range at all .. and his stage movements are rod stewart/mick jagger circa early 70s rip offs..except without any of the command of movement those two had

not to mention the crowes were copycats with all that stupid aleister crowley crap, too, it was boring enough the first time around when jimmy page dragged zeppelin through all that nonsense

what?? mick jagger has less range than chris robinson

Date: August 4, 2010 01:50

I just listened to the mp3 samples of Tragically Hip's first album. It's okay but I'm not all that impressed. I'm not that big a fan of the Crowes, but they definitely have more power and punch than what I've heard of Tragically Hip.

And yeah, Robinson does have more of a vocal range than Jagger.

Posted by: mothra665 ()
Date: August 4, 2010 05:17

can someone hook me up w/ the 2 itunes bonus tracks...please
mothra665@aol.com

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 4, 2010 05:22

stones77

Same could be said about The Rolling Stones...and yet somehow that is compliment.

Anyway your arrogant and false superior attitude is just plain boorish

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: August 4, 2010 06:55

Keefan
I just listened to the mp3 samples of Tragically Hip's first album. It's okay but I'm not all that impressed. I'm not that big a fan of the Crowes, but they definitely have more power and punch than what I've heard of Tragically Hip.

And yeah, Robinson does have more of a vocal range than Jagger.

Robinson can't hold a candle to Jagger in the vocal department and anyone even putting him in the same sentence as Jagger is just wrong..

Jagger isn't the world's greatest singer but when Robinson ever sings anywhere near as powerful as Jagger on Sway, Gimme Shelter or Moonlight Mile, or just about anything on Exile where Jagger's vocals are least affected.. be sure to let me know because it ain't happened yet and I am not going to hold my breath that it ever does.

Pretty much everything Robinson has ever sung, is way oversung. Waaaay oversung.

As for the Tragically Hip first record ('Up To Here') having less power and punch than the Shake Your Money maker - obviously I disagree . However basing your opinion and comparison on lousy sounding 25 second MP3 clips doesn't put you in the best position to judge, anyway.

Same could be said about The Rolling Stones...and yet somehow that is compliment.

Anyway your arrogant and false superior attitude is just plain boorish

The Stones - an overrated bar band that only wrote some of the best and most enduring songs in rock history.. whereas the Crowes are but a blip on the radar screen..

as for my supposed 'arrogance'..and supposed 'superior attitude' hey, so I don't think the black crowes are the second coming.. do I need to be insulted?

it always comes down to insults when crowes fans get their bell bottoms wet and their love beads all tied up in knots

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-04 07:01 by stones77.

Date: August 4, 2010 08:46

jagger has just about no range. i bet chris robinson can easily pull off a crappy falsetto but thank god its just jagger doing his crappy falsetto. jagger talks, yells, screams, whispers and falsettos his way through songs but hardly ever does what anyone would classify as singing. the few times he does sing (as tears go by) its very thin

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 4, 2010 09:08

stones77
Amused
so...

Stoes77 man dude give it a rest! You don't like them. Fine, then move on. No need to argue your tastes because there are folks on this thread the love the crowes. Post on something you can be positive in your contribution and don't troll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-04 09:09 by whitem8.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 4, 2010 10:03

Stones77, you didn't use to be on here under the name TaylorEra, did you ? The Tragically Hip vs. Black Crowes debate is ringing some bells.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: August 4, 2010 10:33

mothra665
[john1982]

may i ask a favor?
did you get the 2 bonus tracks w/ your itunes dl?
i do not have itunes and was wondering if you could be so kind to "share the ride" [pun intended].
could you email the 2 tracks?
-boomers
-willin

just add @aol.com after my screen name

I got the two bonus tracks with my itunes download. I'll send them to you by Sunday as I am not at home until then and I don't have them on my laptop.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home