Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Johnnie Johnson movie trailer now on Youtube
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 6, 2010 07:34

Re: Johnnie Johnson movie trailer now on Youtube
Date: November 6, 2010 12:25

...Looks very promising!
It kinda 'redefines' some popular (mis-)beliefs, I'd say;
hope this doesn't turn out in a "Berry"-camp vs. "Johnson"-camp...

CB II, what's the family's point of vieuw on this upcoming 'rockumentary'??
What do you make of it, and how's your father perception?!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: November 6, 2010 17:06

Warning: Chuck is in there....

Without J. Johnson, no C. Berry and no Rock & Roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-06 17:06 by Vocalion.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 6, 2010 17:49

Where's the Bandwagon?

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 6, 2010 19:11

It's ashame this will essentially be preaching to the converted though. Only those in the know will be likely to see this. Still, great that Johnnie's amazing contribution will be written into history - as it should!

Does anyone know who that really annoying blonde bloke with the beard is singing that awful tribute song?

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 6, 2010 22:41

knowing Chuck - no offence, CBII! - he'll be kinda angry, but then... oh well... isn't it included in Chuck's persona? it's Chuck Berry as we love him :-P

we all could have wished he had a very own band and stick to his old folks instead of playing with almost anybody... but well... it's hard not to love his way, he was just different x)

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 6, 2010 23:11

Amused
knowing Chuck - no offence, CBII! - he'll be kinda angry, but then... oh well... isn't it included in Chuck's persona? it's Chuck Berry as we love him :-P

we all could have wished he had a very own band and stick to his old folks instead of playing with almost anybody... but well... it's hard not to love his way, he was just different x)

Speak for yourself. I can't say I love Chuck (but I can't say I hate him, either). I love the music, but have very mixed feelings about the man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-07 08:07 by bustedtrousers.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 7, 2010 00:09

Man, Keith looks old

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 8, 2010 21:11

Amused

Nope, he won't be mad because he knows the truth. As long as there is no slander or lible in the documentary there's no need for him to be concerned. Looking at the people in the promo, NONE of them were at Chess records when my father started recording or here in Saint Louis or East Saint Louis between 1926 - 1955 so all they have are their opinions. I don't know if Marshall Chess is in Johnnie's documentary but he would have a very interesting take on what and how things went down and when they went down. Buddy Guy was at Chess records but he did not arrive until around 1957 or 1958 so I don't know to what extent he was privy to how things carried on.

Since I have only seen bit's and pieces of the documentary, I have no idea what the final product will look like. I've met and known Art Holiday in passing for a very long time. Watch him on the morning news nearly everyday. He's worked on this project for some time. As to what Johnnie told him about the relationship between himself and my father is unknown to me. If Art presents his findings for the world to interpret as the people that gave the interviews spoke them, then it will go one way. On the other hand, if he goes the Taylor Hackford (director of Hail! Hail! Rock n Roll, Officer and a Gentlemen etc)route and uses his directorial abilities to shape an opinion of how things went, then it will go another way. Both Holiday and Hackford were or are reporters, Art's been a news anchor and reporter for at least 25 years. Taylor Hackford was an investigative reporter prior to him becoming a film maker.

Persona is how people see you with your game face on can be quite different than reality. The Chuck Berry persona was pretty much absent in that Rolling Stone interview (with the True Blood cast on the cover). People saw a side of my father with his game face left on the stage and him just telling it like it is. Probably on of the best interviews I've ever read of him. With Keith's book 'LIFE', it seems he's chosen to leave the game face on for most of what I've read so far (hey, it can sell books I guess).

Bottom line, nobody is going to be mad. We all loved Johnnie as if he were part of our family. That's why at his funeral, I proudly carried his coffin to his grave along with his family members. He was one of the coolest guys I'd ever met. The best memory I will ever have of him is the night he sat in with us at Blueberry Hill about 6 months before he died. It was magical.

No worries...

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-08 23:19 by CBII.

Date: November 8, 2010 23:40

Keith looks so strange; like he lost some hair.

Date: November 8, 2010 23:50

Palace Revolution 2000
Keith looks so strange; like he lost some hair.

Hair loss comes with age for many of us my friend.

CBII

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 9, 2010 02:49

CBII
Amused

Nope, he won't be mad because he knows the truth. As long as there is no slander or lible in the documentary there's no need for him to be concerned. Looking at the people in the promo, NONE of them were at Chess records when my father started recording or here in Saint Louis or East Saint Louis between 1926 - 1955 so all they have are their opinions. I don't know if Marshall Chess is in Johnnie's documentary but he would have a very interesting take on what and how things went down and when they went down. Buddy Guy was at Chess records but he did not arrive until around 1957 or 1958 so I don't know to what extent he was privy to how things carried on.

Since I have only seen bit's and pieces of the documentary, I have no idea what the final product will look like. I've met and known Art Holiday in passing for a very long time. Watch him on the morning news nearly everyday. He's worked on this project for some time. As to what Johnnie told him about the relationship between himself and my father is unknown to me. If Art presents his findings for the world to interpret as the people that gave the interviews spoke them, then it will go one way. On the other hand, if he goes the Taylor Hackford (director of Hail! Hail! Rock n Roll, Officer and a Gentlemen etc)route and uses his directorial abilities to shape an opinion of how things went, then it will go another way. Both Holiday and Hackford were or are reporters, Art's been a news anchor and reporter for at least 25 years. Taylor Hackford was an investigative reporter prior to him becoming a film maker.

Persona is how people see you with your game face on can be quite different than reality. The Chuck Berry persona was pretty much absent in that Rolling Stone interview (with the True Blood cast on the cover). People saw a side of my father with his game face left on the stage and him just telling it like it is. Probably on of the best interviews I've ever read of him. With Keith's book 'LIFE', it seems he's chosen to leave the game face on for most of what I've read so far (hey, it can sell books I guess).

Bottom line, nobody is going to be mad. We all loved Johnnie as if he were part of our family. That's why at his funeral, I proudly carried his coffin to his grave along with his family members. He was one of the coolest guys I'd ever met. The best memory I will ever have of him is the night he sat in with us at Blueberry Hill about 6 months before he died. It was magical.

No worries...

Hi CB. How are you at playing boogie woogie piano? Did JJ ever give you any piano tips or lessons?

Date: November 9, 2010 03:21

I can't play a lick.

CBII

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 9, 2010 18:32

Roll73
Does anyone know who that really annoying blonde bloke with the beard is singing that awful tribute song?

Looks like the guitar player from Styx.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 9, 2010 18:39

CBII
Amused

No worries...

I went to one of the fundraisers for this movie, and talked to Mr. Holiday. He said he contacted Chuck's people about participating, and he said they didn't say 'no', but asked enough questions and were slow to respond to his answers to the point he felt that maybe Chuck didn't really want to say "no" but at the same time didn't want to make this about him, to let it be what it is (or something to that effect; it was a couple years ago).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home