Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

41 Years ago today . . . . LA Forum
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 8, 2010 19:41

It was on November 8, 1969 that I attended the unforgettable 1st show at the Forum. Terry Reid, BB King, Ike and Tina Turner Revue, then our boys. The memories are still vivid. Anyone else here at either show that night? I know a few of you have said you were there.

Re: 41 Years ago today . . . . LA Forum
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 8, 2010 19:55

Thanks for the reminder. I was there for the 2nd show. "Sorry for the delay. Is everyone ready?" was the theme for that tour. To my memory the 2nd show did not start until 2:00 a.m. Thankfully, Terry Reid did not play or it would have been later. Two shows, four acts in one evening in the same venue was just too much to squeeze in on any coherent time schedule. Not the most exciting show I ever saw. Much of it was relatively laid back. But even at the time I thought I witnessed something historic. I was entralled with Keith's playing. It was almost spooky and enormously thrilling to hear that show again some 28 years later. With headphones on, closed off in a room, I listened to that tape as closely as I ever listened to anything in my life.

Date: November 8, 2010 20:03

Yeah, it certainly was historic. There was an excitement in the air that I have seldom ever witnessed at any concert. I think we exited the Forum at around midnight and walked past lines of thousands of people waiting to enter for the late show. I got to my girlfriend's car and found that someone had broken in and had stolen my leather fringe jacket!

I also closely watched Keith all through the show. He was brilliant!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 8, 2010 23:26

literally 2am?? can you imagine that today?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 8, 2010 23:38

I was at the late show. Ten years old and my dad brought me and some friends. Changed my life.

Date: November 9, 2010 02:44

Here is something I found online. The site is below. There was a hockey game in the afternoon, then two shows with 4, then 3 acts in the evening. It very well could have been later than 2:00 a.m. Afterward we went to Denny's for a $0.99 breakfast (or whatever it was at the time). The sun was coming up when I got home.

<<In Los Angeles, the first show at The Forum had an extra opening act, blues singer Terry Reid. The concert promotion company for the Rolling Stones1969 Los Angeles shows was Wolf and Rissmiller Concerts.

Larry Vallon, Senior Vice President, National Booking at Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG Live), the world’s second largest concert booking agency, remembers being at the 1969 Rolling Stones Forum shows. Vallon told Examiner.com, “I had started working at the company (Wolf and Rismiller Concerts) maybe a couple of months before. We had a Gordon Lightfoot show after a Kings hockey date in the afternoon, which made the logistics kind of difficult. So anyway, I finished up with Lightfoot, and drove over to The Forum. I walked drove down the ramp, and came up behind the band, and they were going on stage. It was about eleven o’clock at night, and they were just going on for the first show. So the show was extremely late. So then after that, they had to exchange audiences. So eighteen thousand people had to leave, and another eighteen thousand people more had to get in, in the middle of the night. So they wound up throwing Terry Reid off of the second show. I think there was some confusion as to whether Ike and Tina or B.B. King was going on first. Chip Monck was stage manager for The Stones. He had them in reversed order, so that took even longer, to re-set the equipment for them. And then by the time The Stones came on, it was probably like four in the morning. And when they walked out and the audience left, the sun had come up. (Laughs.) So that was a fun night.”>>

[www.examiner.com]

Date: November 9, 2010 02:48

TeddyB, your dad must have been quite cool to take his 10 year-old son to that show.

Sounds like they had to change the whole order of things mid-stream. No, that could not happen today!

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:48

I have a framed newspaper ad for those 1969 L.A. concerts. Wow, 41 years ago today!

I appreciate the stories about these LA shows.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:54

Great stories my friends..............

Date: November 9, 2010 04:09

Very cool misterfrias....7:00 & 11:00! Wishful thinking! As Jagger said early in the 2nd show "We would have brought our toothbrushes if we had known." He also introduced the 3rd song as one that requires your...sympathy. Fine performance by Keith on that one.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 05:53

DaveG
TeddyB, your dad must have been quite cool to take his 10 year-old son to that show.

Sounds like they had to change the whole order of things mid-stream. No, that could not happen today!
Yes, he was. Love reading that story from Larry Vallon. He was my sister's boss when she booked the Universal Amphitheatre and his daughters went to school with mine. My sister's favorite gig she ever booked there wad the X-Pensive Winos.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 9, 2010 06:31

misterfrias
I have a framed newspaper ad for those 1969 L.A. concerts. Wow, 41 years ago today!

I appreciate the stories about these LA shows.

I love how the band name is spelled out. The font is very 60s and it looks awesome.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 9, 2010 08:13

i always wondered what it would have been like if, on this tour, they played the full studio intro to JJF - to sort of warm things up and set the stage for Jagger - like a soul revue opening - rather than opening with the riff

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:09

DaveG
It was on November 8, 1969 that I attended the unforgettable 1st show at the Forum. Terry Reid, BB King, Ike and Tina Turner Revue, then our boys. The memories are still vivid. Anyone else here at either show that night? I know a few of you have said you were there.

Yo Dave... how was Terry Reid?

Date: November 9, 2010 16:36

hbwriter
i always wondered what it would have been like if, on this tour, they played the full studio intro to JJF - to sort of warm things up and set the stage for Jagger - like a soul revue opening - rather than opening with the riff

They only did that once. On the warm up-show in 1997, I believe.

Date: November 9, 2010 17:24

Milan, I had never heard of Terry Reid, other than reading an article or two where he was briefly mentioned in reference to the tour. Although I cannot remember any of the songs he played, what I do remember is that I thought he had a fantastic voice and that he and his band had a great sound. I always wondered why he never really achieved widespread popularity. ( of course, many here know that he was Jimmy Page's first choice as vocalist for his new band, Led Zeppelin)

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 9, 2010 18:11

Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home