Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT visit to Jamaica - Any suggestions?
Posted by: Altefutze ()
Date: August 4, 2010 19:45

stein
You can reach Keith`s place "Point Of Wiev" from Ocho Rios about 90 min drive each way. I did it myself but, be shure that you got a serious driver. Ask tour exercousion office onboard soon as you arrive the ship and they will proubly help you.

Keith's place is in Ocho Rios. Point of View is part of the Tryall Golf resort. and Bob Marley is not from St. Anns his place is in 9 mile. Where the last time I was there is was buried 6 feet above the ground. Neat place. Chain link fence around property with herb growing on one side and Jamacian guard on the other carriying automatic rifles.

I have been going since 1968. The villa just below Keith's is Stoneaway. Great place to stay overlooking Mallards Bay. Look it up. Everyone else is correct. I don't care what they traffic in. The place is full of ruthless thugs.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 5, 2010 01:17

Wow - Thanks everyone for the comments, I thought one or two people would help out. There are 31 posts on this! I guess there really is no Stones news!

I have definitely decided against trying to do this on our own with a cab or something like that and really appreciate the other tips too. Seems smart to have the wife leave jewelry home or on the ship and take minimal cash. I did find what seems to be a very reuptable tour company that takes groups there and it seems like a safe way to go. I almost was going to skip this altogether but got pretty bummed about it. I'm a huge fan and want to make this "pilmigrage". I really enjoy this type of stuff. I've been to Sun Studios in Memphis and a few other places like that. (BTW anyone near New Mexico should make a trip to Clovis to see where Buddy Holly recorded).

I'll let you know how it goes. I thiunk we're going to do the birthplace tour as well!

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: August 5, 2010 16:33

Here, this will get you in the mood. I had the same guide at Bob Marley's birthplace. Very funny and cool guy. Enjoy. The guide's name is CAptain Crazy, request him. Here is a link to the tour:

Zion Bus Tour

Wayne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-05 17:41 by wetland10.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 10, 2010 17:25

I've been there 9 times I think. Stayed in Negril at least 3 times, Ocho Rios once, and the rest in Montego Bay.

Did the Kingston tour once, I found it fascinating. Went by the University of the West Indies, did the Marley tour, got to see Jimmy Cliff's house, etc.

I enjoyed the trip from Ocho Rios (probably the closest resort town to Kingston), you get to see a bit of the middle class and scenery most tourists don't see. But get the h*ll out before nightfall, gets very dangerous I understand.

But if you just want to spend some time in a nice laid bag beach resort, Negril's the place to go.

One tip if you do go to Negril and want to visit Rick's Cafe or Margaritaville, Rick's Cafe has a bus that will pick you up and take you back to your hotel for a modest fee (maybe 1/6th of what a hotel cab would cost!); Margaritaville I believe has a free shuttle. Call them both directly otherwise the hotel will get you a cab in which they split the very large profits!

Oh, and don't be fooled by the cheaper cabs if you pick one up on your own, many are unlicensed and dangerous. make sure they have their JUTA license displayed, and I think they all have red license plates (as opposed to the normal white).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:58

kovach
I've been there 9 times I think. Stayed in Negril at least 3 times, Ocho Rios once, and the rest in Montego Bay.

Did the Kingston tour once, I found it fascinating. Went by the University of the West Indies, did the Marley tour, got to see Jimmy Cliff's house, etc.

I enjoyed the trip from Ocho Rios (probably the closest resort town to Kingston), you get to see a bit of the middle class and scenery most tourists don't see. But get the h*ll out before nightfall, gets very dangerous I understand.

But if you just want to spend some time in a nice laid bag beach resort, Negril's the place to go.

One tip if you do go to Negril and want to visit Rick's Cafe or Margaritaville, Rick's Cafe has a bus that will pick you up and take you back to your hotel for a modest fee (maybe 1/6th of what a hotel cab would cost!); Margaritaville I believe has a free shuttle. Call them both directly otherwise the hotel will get you a cab in which they split the very large profits!

Oh, and don't be fooled by the cheaper cabs if you pick one up on your own, many are unlicensed and dangerous. make sure they have their JUTA license displayed, and I think they all have red license plates (as opposed to the normal white).

Oh, wanted to add, if you just plan on going and hanging out in a resort town, Negril is probably the safest resort town on the island. It's where a lot of the wealthier Jamaicans go on vacation I understand, and they kind of take care of their own there (if anyone starts trouble with a tourist, the locals will likely take care of the troublemakers for you; they like their 'safe' reputation).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2010 20:58

sample the local home grown GANJA .ask your driver he can help you out with that .and i think in a couple of weeks the sun splash festival will be taking place (great music)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home