Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT visit to Jamaica - Any suggestions?
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:27

Obviously off topic, but not really - Just like the Stones opened the door for me to great blues, Chuck Berry etc.., I also like Reggae music partly because of them. My wife and I are going on a cruise this winter that stops into Jamaica (Ocho Rios) for the day and I was thinking about going to the Bob Marley museum in Kingston. Has anyone here done that? Any tips on how to do it? Any other music attractions to fit it for one day?

Re: OT visit to Jamaica - Any suggestions?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:34

Don't forget to check out the crime tour. If your white, don't go out at night.

Jamaica is a source country for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of sexual exploitation and labor; information suggests that women from the Dominican Republic and Eastern Europe are also trafficked to Jamaica for sexual exploitation; women and children are trafficked internally from rural to urban and tourist areas for sexual exploitation; there may also be trafficking for domestic servitude and forced labor.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:05

I'd pass on Kingston,it's not worth it. Find a nice little beach or cafe in Ocho Rios. Sad but true, its a destination to be seriously careful about.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:18

MKjan
I'd pass on Kingston,it's not worth it. Find a nice little beach or cafe in Ocho Rios. Sad but true, its a destination to be seriously careful about.

Yes....and Kingston isn't exactly a hop, skip & a jump from Ocho Rios.

Also beware of the ganja pushers that want to lead you back into their den.

I think one of Keith's place is/was atop the mountain in Ocho Rios (?). I remember the
tourist guide telling us that "Mick Jagger lives up there"....but he seemed slightly uninformed.

(from articles & tv shows i've seen....i think it was Keith that has/had the mansion in O R.

[wikimapia.org]

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 02:30 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:35

Unfortunate that your travel will be limited but you should make your & your wife's safety priority one.

I have to watch out when I go with my wife to St. Thomas.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 02:37 by misterfrias.

Date: August 2, 2010 03:50

You're better off visiting the birthplace of Bob Marley in St.Anns. There you can see where he was born, lived and wrote many of his greatest songs. They ahve bus tours, but find a personal guide to take you. And smoke one for me!!!!

Date: August 2, 2010 04:26

Damn, Sounds like not a good thing to try...

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 2, 2010 04:41

Spanish Town was very atmospheric in an old world colonial way. Also, take some time to chat it up with the local vendors/rastas at the Ocho Rios craft market. Dunns River Falls is great. And get a cab driver to take you up to Keith's house.

Avoid Kingston.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: August 2, 2010 09:09

21stcenturystones
You're better off visiting the birthplace of Bob Marley in St.Anns. There you can see where he was born, lived and wrote many of his greatest songs. They ahve bus tours, but find a personal guide to take you. And smoke one for me!!!!

This is perfect. Keith's(now Marlon's) Point of view of very close to this too. Well worth the trip. Also the best smoke on the Island. THe ride there and back is kind of like the winding mountain road to Dracula's castle.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 12:36

This is where Keith lives or has lived on Jamaica.

Keith's House

Does anybody know, if he still goes over there or is he just staying on the Turks & Caicos in the Caribbean?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 2, 2010 13:21

John1982
This is where Keith lives or has lived on Jamaica.

Keith's House

Does anybody know, if he still goes over there or is he just staying on the Turks & Caicos in the Caribbean?

I'm probably wrong, but did he own a property in the Turks & Caicos whilst he was partly residing in Jamaica? I think that perhaps the Turks & Caicos replaced Jamaica as his 'holiday home' a while back.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: August 2, 2010 15:51

Hope Rode in Kingston,where lots of recording was done (& where was shot) is worth a visit...as other sites, but seems you should pass if your time is limited. Try the guided tour to Marleys birthplace in St. Annes for you Marley fix. You can see his bible where he hightlighted passages...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 16:01

The Sicilian
Don't forget to check out the crime tour. If your white, don't go out at night.

Jamaica is a source country for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of sexual exploitation and labor; information suggests that women from the Dominican Republic and Eastern Europe are also trafficked to Jamaica for sexual exploitation; women and children are trafficked internally from rural to urban and tourist areas for sexual exploitation; there may also be trafficking for domestic servitude and forced labor.

Yes, stay in the touristy areas!! I remember taking the wrong trail back to the tour bus from the Falls and I thought my wife and I were going to be taken away!! Not a pleasant experience.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 2, 2010 17:15

punkfloyd
Spanish Town was very atmospheric in an old world colonial way. Also, take some time to chat it up with the local vendors/rastas at the Ocho Rios craft market. Dunns River Falls is great. And get a cab driver to take you up to Keith's house.

Avoid Kingston.

Spanish Town is pretty much a no-go area now, thanks to Dudus Coke's people being holed up there. Areas of Spanish Town - and Kingston (Tivoli Gardens etc) - are pretty much run by the gunmen. A real shame because parts of Spanish Town are quite beautiful, reminiscent of Havana.

I was in Jamaica in June for about three weeks. The country's fine and fairly quiet and safe, but the cities are heavy. Especially Kingston. There's not a hell of a lot to see there, outside 56 Hope Road where Bob Marley lived and recorded.

Best stick to the tourist areas - Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios - especially the latter, which is just beautiful. Take a drive up Fern Gulley. It's unforgettable.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 2, 2010 18:13

Beware.

Be glad, at least, that you thought to ask!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:19

DANGEROUS place. be careful

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 22:32

I've been to Jamaica several times, probably went places I shouldn't have gone in retrospect but live to type about it. It is a cool place in general but not all that safe anymore. Best to stay with the group from the cruise at the port in Ocho Rios where you can walk around a bit at the port. Or, if you have enough time, go on the tour that goes to where Bob marley was born, and where he is buried. his mother still lives there and on occassion she hangs out outside with visitors. The bus ride to the house (worth the money) plays reggae music the entire time. You stop at a place for some beef patties and Red Stripe, and on the way back you stop at a restaurant for some lunch. It's all very safe. The tour itself is pretty close to a religious experience. It was very cool. But, definitely go with the tour on the bus. It is worth the money. And, stay away from trouble, stick with the tour groups only.

Wayne

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 2, 2010 23:09

Keep everything locked.

Be safe.........not sorry.....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 2, 2010 23:38

wetland10
I've been to Jamaica several times, probably went places I shouldn't have gone in retrospect but live to type about it. It is a cool place in general but not all that safe anymore.

me too....stupid stuff like following the ganja dealers back to their den (w/my wife)...and walking
long distances in the dark from resort to restaurants when we didn't want to wait for a cab.
ignorance is bliss....but like you...i lived to type about it. winking smiley

mostly Montego Bay...some Ocho Rios & a bit of Negril.

Lynd8 is making a stop while on a cruise....the cruise people will probably
give suggestions & make proper warning. probably only time to get lunch & a few souvenirs.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 2, 2010 23:43

wetland10
I've been to Jamaica several times, probably went places I shouldn't have gone in retrospect but live to type about it. It is a cool place in general but not all that safe anymore. Best to stay with the group from the cruise at the port in Ocho Rios where you can walk around a bit at the port. Or, if you have enough time, go on the tour that goes to where Bob marley was born, and where he is buried. his mother still lives there and on occassion she hangs out outside with visitors. The bus ride to the house (worth the money) plays reggae music the entire time. You stop at a place for some beef patties and Red Stripe, and on the way back you stop at a restaurant for some lunch. It's all very safe. The tour itself is pretty close to a religious experience. It was very cool. But, definitely go with the tour on the bus. It is worth the money. And, stay away from trouble, stick with the tour groups only.

Wayne

Cedella Marley - Bob's mum - died in Miami two years ago.

The tour to Nine Mile - Bob's birth and resting place - is great. It's also the only part of Jamaica where you can legally smoke ganja.

Date: August 3, 2010 02:15

Nikolai
wetland10

Well the consensus is the birthplace is the thing to try to experience a little Bob Marley. I did find a tour group - barrettadventures.com that goes straight from ocho rios to the museum and she advised she could take us to Tuff Gong studios also. It would seem taking the trip with an experienced tour operator would be a possibility. Anyone use her company?

Wayne

The tour to Nine Mile - Bob's birth and resting place - is great. It's also the only part of Jamaica where you can legally smoke ganja.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 3, 2010 09:30

like someone said before -STAY THE HELL OUT OF KINGSTON.youll probably fly into montego bay so either stay there or go to negril or ocho.if you're in ocho rios have the people AT YOUR HOTEL get you a cab to go see keiths place.they know the ones who wont overcharge you...or worse.

its a fun afternoon trip up the hill. you go on an overgrown trail toward the house but a gate with a camera on it lets you know,no further.have them stop at rancho for some real jerk chicken and red stripes on the way.

keith had an army of security when he was at point of view and for good reason.jamaica is a beautiful place but its a 3rd world country,dont try to be too cool.stay with the other tourists.

the people who went off with the dealers and/or walked alone at night,i cannot believe you're alive right now.

Date: August 3, 2010 09:39

oops,just noticed you said you were on a cruise.if you,re doing the bob marley thing,definitely do the organized tour group.oh,and if you drink coffee get some blue mountain.its the best.

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 20:02

Lynd8
Nikolai
wetland10

Well the consensus is the birthplace is the thing to try to experience a little Bob Marley. I did find a tour group - barrettadventures.com that goes straight from ocho rios to the museum and she advised she could take us to Tuff Gong studios also. It would seem taking the trip with an experienced tour operator would be a possibility. Anyone use her company?

Wayne

Oops, well I was there almost 6 years ago so I guess I missed the announcement. smiling smiley

Regardless, it is a great tour. On a cruise you will most likely have several hours there so you will probably have time for an excursion. It was worth it.

Wayne

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:02

My wife & I had our honeymoon 3 years ago at the couples resort in Ocho Rios & LOVED it. Although you're only going to be there for a few hours some of the things we learned will probably help...

1. STAY WITH THE GROUP - it's a third world country and although the authorities do the best the can to protect the tourists, you can go from safe to dangerous very quickly.

2. Wear little or no jewelry - although you'll probably be with a group, we were told by employees of our resort that there are times when a machete is used to cut hands off of people to get at their bracelets.

3. Don't tell the craftsmen/women your name - We were warned in advance that if you visit a craft fair, some of the local artists, if they are able, will quickly put your name on something and then try to guilt you into buying it. A couple warned us of this after they were guilted into a plaque on a tour they took. The day my wife and I went into town, I was Machmood Ackmadeemajad. No one even asked me how to spell it!

4. If you hear the words "do you party?", they're most likely offering you drugs. At least that was our experience. Also: although most people think that smoking herb is legal in Jamaica, as one other poster mentioned, it's actually not. Apparently it's just not very high on the list of crimes to prosecute.

5. Try to work the phrase "Let me run..." into a conversation. I can't tell you how many times I was told that NO ONE runs in Jamaica. Unless you're a world class sprinter apparently. It got to be a funny thing my wife and I noticed while we were there.

6. Unless you thrive on INSANE driving, DO NOT pay attention to their driving. They play with their own set of rules. Don't let the horns fool you, either. I'd have to guess that less than half the times we heard our various drivers using their horns were in warning situations. Most of the time the driver was just "saying hi" to people. Apparently, many of these drivers seem to know far more people than I do!

7. Drink some Blue Mountain coffee... It really is as good as you've heard it is.

Hope you have fun! My wife and I are trying to figure out how to finish off a home remodeling project and get back to Ocho Rios around Christmastime. We loved every minute of our stay.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stein ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:19

You can reach Keith`s place "Point Of Wiev" from Ocho Rios about 90 min drive each way. I did it myself but, be shure that you got a serious driver. Ask tour exercousion office onboard soon as you arrive the ship and they will proubly help you.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:57

<< If your white, don't go out at night. >>

Or, if you're out at night, wear white.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 3, 2010 23:14

Christ

You guys are kinda the "don't friggin' go to Jamaica" or you'll die brigade. I've never been and now I don't want to. I lived in Fiji as a kid and that's proper third world with dictators and stuff and never had hassle. I think I'll stick to Devon or Cornwall next year. At least I know what food I'll be getting.....for the stay at home mob amongst us that's sarcasm... I actually like to travel. Even stayed in Harlem once. Got told by a dude on a stoop that us white guys were takin' over the place. Walked into the store only to have all the residents look at us as tho we were in the wrong place. F**k 'em I have no fear.

I was actually quite scared in Harlem. Cool tho. You should go. Great Jazz clubs.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 3, 2010 23:36

Head for Treasure Beach on the south coast. Absolutely beautiful and lobster pizza is the local speciality. thumbs up

Date: August 4, 2010 10:18

NickB
Christ

You guys are kinda the "don't friggin' go to Jamaica" or you'll die brigade. I've never been and now I don't want to. I lived in Fiji as a kid and that's proper third world with dictators and stuff and never had hassle. I think I'll stick to Devon or Cornwall next year. At least I know what food I'll be getting.....for the stay at home mob amongst us that's sarcasm... I actually like to travel. Even stayed in Harlem once. Got told by a dude on a stoop that us white guys were takin' over the place. Walked into the store only to have all the residents look at us as tho we were in the wrong place. F**k 'em I have no fear.

I was actually quite scared in Harlem. Cool tho. You should go. Great Jazz clubs.

actually i dont think one person said "dont go" -we just said be careful.

as for harlem,the guy who told you the whites were taking over was talking about the massive influx of outsiders moving there during the real estate boom.former president clinton even has offices there now.in this decade its likely you were in danger of waiting in a long line at the starbucks but thats about it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1250
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home