Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 23 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: August 2, 2017 04:47

I was there from Dallas TX.Awesome show. Some show had a few mistakes. I recall many dirty looks between Jagger and Richards...Still a great vibe.Loved it

Re: 16 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 2, 2017 05:55

melillo
they opened with not fade away although undercover was played

Fortunately they dropped UOTN after the second show.

Re: 23 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 2, 2017 06:12

Best opening song and Mick entrance ever.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 2, 2017 10:14

Chester

thumbs up

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: August 2, 2017 16:48

Yep, RFK Stadium, it was very hot temperature wise! Saw both shows, and it was early days on how to score tickets. Attended both shows, and the first one was amazing...the bootleg is not indicative of the sound at all. I was able to land 2nd row center seats, for a face value of 55.00 !

I will never forget, Jagger shooting up through the stage to Charlies rhythmic beat of Not Fade Away....the Stilt Walkers during the first live performance of Monkey Man. That long set list, with many first time performances.

A return of The Rolling Stones, slightly different than the Steel Wheels tour, more funky, looser in many ways. Man I loved that tour, I Go Wild....live was really quite awesome as well.

Saw quite a few shows that tour....one of the best rain shows ever, Philadelphia!

Thanks for the memory!

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 2, 2017 17:27

I came down from Philly for both DC shows. This was the first tour that I started saying to my friends that the Stones had something to prove to keep me traveling to their gigs. I loved the stage but was quite annoyed with some of the staging BS like the guy on stilts etc. Glad they got rid of it soon after.

Live debut (for me at least) of Not Fade Away, Monkey Man, Memory Hotel, Hot Stuff plus all the VL tunes and long awaited return of Rocks Off and Beast.

It took a few shows until they reached NJ Meadowlands before I felt that had proven they still had the goods. The first 45 minutes or so up until Satisfaction was always a killer run that really got the audience roaring.

HBK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-02 17:29 by HouseBoyKnows.

Posted by: djrambler ()
Date: August 2, 2017 17:32

This was a great show. Opening night, lots of songs, a few deep cuts and good and loud. I didn't have great seats, Sec 423 directly across the stage, b/c I didn't want to plunk down $50 instead of $39.50 - seems quaint now! But the whole crowd was pumped and the lower level seats bounced during Satisfaction. It was a blast and I thought it was better than the Steel Wheels show.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 2, 2017 18:45

Spud
Chester

thumbs up

+1. Was at Sheffield and Wembley Show 3 on this tour and thought the way they did the show opener and song choice were top drawer. Great memories.

I wasn't at the Still Life Tour but I thought UMT was a pretty good opener on that tour too, based on video footage.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 3, 2017 01:15

grzegorz67
Spud
Chester

thumbs up

+1.

During the first 10 or so US shows Mick was lifted up to the mic
in a second and immediately began to sing. In all the later shows he was
strolling in from the side and bowed before he began to sing.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 3, 2017 02:14

Mick being lifted up to the mic from under the stage for the opening song was pretty cool, but him strutting in from the side was electric.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 3, 2017 16:37

The setlist was long and interesting for us, but not very casual fan-friendly. Look at the Luxembourg setlist to see the consequences - almost every interesting song was thrown out and it was almost 30 minutes shorter.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: August 3, 2017 17:07

It was very interesting to see the first show of this tour and one of the last ones later on in Europe.
And man, yes it was hot in D.C. these days. I think the president of the US was also in the stadium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-03 19:18 by MAF.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 3, 2017 18:45

27 songs and several special effects later dropped (the guys on stilts, etc). EVERYONE (band and audience) was exhausted when it was over. They played stuff from Voodoo that didn't make it past those opening shows. "Brand New Car" if memory serves. It was incredible but a little shaky. I saw them less than a month later in East Lansing and Mick walked on instead of popping through the floor and the set list was shortened to 24 songs. They were MUCH tighter, hitting on all eights and obviously having a ball. The tour hadn't become mundane yet.

Re: 16 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Date: August 4, 2017 14:27

GasLightStreet
melillo

Fortunately for whom??

The HISTORIC 1994 versions of Miss You ............. which basically replaced "Hot Stuff" and "Undercover of the Night" from Washington D.C. ............. were 5 times worse than "UoTN".

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 4, 2017 15:25

I was there,and yes it was very hot,on our way in I found a ticket,there was a cute girl looking for a ticket,at first she asked what I wanted for it,I said make me a offer,then she lifted her shirt WOW! ,so I gave her the ticket for free,oh the show was good too.

Date: August 5, 2017 08:20

Winning Ugly VXII
GasLightStreet
melillo

Fortunately for whom??

The HISTORIC 1994 versions of Miss You ............. which basically replaced "Hot Stuff" and "Undercover of the Night" from Washington D.C. ............. were 5 times worse than "UoTN".

UOTN is excellent - on UNDERCOVER/REWIND/JUMP BACK/FORTY LICKS. But UOTN live? Horrible. They had the nerve to overdub the jarring guitar bit for FLASHPOINT.

Date: August 5, 2017 16:20

GasLightStreet
Winning Ugly VXII
GasLightStreet
melillo

Fortunately for whom??

UOTN is excellent - on UNDERCOVER/REWIND/JUMP BACK/FORTY LICKS. But UOTN live? Horrible. They had the nerve to overdub the jarring guitar bit for FLASHPOINT.

Not as horrible as the '90's live renditions of "Miss You".

Plus,Jagger delivers some of the vocals to Undercover of the Night with more authority in the 1994 live performances (the first night and the second night) compared to the studio version.

The song was reportedly brought back for one concert in Buenos Aires : February 9th,1995.

Date: August 5, 2017 16:33

Undercover was never played in Europe. Why?

Date: August 6, 2017 21:16

Monsoon Ragoon

I thought perhaps you were off but they didn't play it AT ALL in 1990 - anywhere. It made it to #11 in the UK and did well in other European countries.

Who knows.

Date: August 6, 2017 21:30

Anyone remember the silly Dan Akroyd VH1 VOODOO LOUNGE rehearsal show with the stupid lawn mower?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 6, 2017 21:37

yes, sr.....

Date: August 7, 2017 11:49

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon

I thought perhaps you were off but they didn't play it AT ALL in 1990 - anywhere. It made it to #11 in the UK and did well in other European countries.

Who knows.

? It was never played in Europe incl. 1990 not even in club gigs. Maybe a coincidence?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 7, 2017 14:34

Can anyone confirm there were dancers on stilts onstage during one number?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 7, 2017 14:51

dcba

There were 2 giant inflatable women for Honkey Tonk Women (named Angie & Ruby IIRC, both of which were played, the latter brilliantly) but I recall no dancers on stilts.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: August 7, 2017 16:57

They definitely did, I was at the first two shows, and saw them during both shows.
They did away with them by the time the official video that was filmed in Jersey though. They filmed the first show for the official video, but didn't like the quality. For more on the first show, here is the LA TIMES review of the show, that mentions the stilt walkers during Monkey Man. They were really cool looking, but I am sure they were so tall, they would become a liability, especially during a rain show....if they fell off....just guessing though. I thought for sure I could find a photo, and the local news had a video of them as well...

Voodoo Lounge LA TIMES first show review at RFK

dcba

Posted by: ttutone ()
Date: August 7, 2017 17:05

Incredible show! Drove down from Philly with some friends. Yup, 27 songs (wow) including Monkey Man. I will never forget the stilt walkers. I don't believe they used them again on the tour. I felt like they did a few things that show that they did not do again. I remember the pyros before SMU that seemed like they almost used a little too much gogo juice. Kinda like they misjudged the power or something. IMHO.

Had sooo much fun!!!!

Date: August 7, 2017 19:38

dcba

The stilt walkers were on Monkey Man. I recall them on both
Washington shows. In Indianapolis (Aug. 10) they were gone.

Before the show on Aug. 1 they were also Voodoo drummers from Haiti
which were booed by some fans (there was a political "situation"
with the US and Haiti as far as I remember). I donĀ“t remember
if the drummers were on the second show.

Date: August 7, 2017 19:42

grzegorz67
dcba

There were 2 giant inflatable women for Honkey Tonk Women (named Angie & Ruby IIRC, both of which were played, the latter brilliantly) but I recall no dancers on stilts.

The 2 inflatable women were on the 89/90 tour.

On the VL tour they erected inflatables during the VL segment
(Elvis, a Voodoo priest, a madonna etc.).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 19:42 by TooTough.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 8, 2017 03:11

I was there! Sat next to the guy who was recording "Welcome to Washington" unbeknownst to me and when I heard it a few years later, cringed to hear how hyper and ridiculous my inane banter sounded.. so Im far more dignified these days. Lesson learned. A great show that started with a kick ass "Not Fade Away". if memory serves.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home