Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
23 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 1, 2010 21:44

Man, 23 years....I was there. What a great and long show (27 songs).
Anyone else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-01 01:53 by TooTough.

Re: 16 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 1, 2010 22:10

A start ofa great tour I attended a year later, the Stones ruled the nineties, believe it or not!

Re: 16 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 1, 2010 23:07

I was there also traveled from jersey, excellent show

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: August 1, 2010 23:41

I was there too. Had a blast.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2010 23:46

It was a disappointment (listen to the TSP boot) and the sign sth wasn't quite right in 1994.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:13

I was there!!! Was waaaay in the back, but I didn't care, I had a ball. smiling bouncing smiley

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:14

I was there for both shows. Excellent. 'Monkey Man' blew people away; music and theatrics were great. 'Satisfaction,' with Keith extra-fuzzed up, was tremendous. 'Not Fade Away' as the opener was totally unexpected and came off fabulously. The Stones experimented with songs like 'Out Of Tears,' which was very tight and which Mick sang superbly, even if the tune didn't make a huge impression on the audience. 'Brand New Car' was well received and got a large laugh and cheer from our side of the stadium when Mick sang the line 'smells like caviar.' There sure wasn't much evidence of disappointment in the crowd either night at RFK; I have the boot and think it clearly proves the concert was hugely successful on all levels.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:25

I was there too. We got a bunch of tunes that didn't last long in the set. The boot I have has awful sound, but it was a great night!

If I remember right, Keith at the start of his set said, "DC, I see you got a new room" as Fed Ex Field was brand new.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 03:18

Yup I was there, drove in after work from Baltimore. FANTASTIC! The set list blew me away with a lot of surprises. As was mentioned above Monkey Man! WONDERFUL, and Hot Stuff, I Can't Get Next To You...lots of fun and they had a lot of good energy.... great time, and PACKED to the rafters with fans.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: August 2, 2010 04:08

Yeah, I was there, it was at the old place (RFK Stadium). I think they opened with "Undercover"? They didn't play at FedEx until the B2B tour with Cheryl Crow?

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: August 2, 2010 05:25

I wasn't there, but for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to say that I was.

Great show, although I'm reasonably certain it was only 9 years ago and that your math is in fact wrong.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 2, 2010 05:42

they opened with not fade away although undercover was played

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 2, 2010 06:56

Voodoo was my first album I waited for and it knocked me out! for the time hearing it new was incredible. great tour.... great album.... it was all good for me

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: August 2, 2010 11:30

I really loved the Voodoo Lounge Tour. Caught the boys in Vancouver and Toronto. Both were awesome shows with awesome t's.

Date: August 2, 2010 11:50

my dad was there. brought me home a t-shirt

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 2, 2010 17:01

stateofshock
I was there!!! Was waaaay in the back, but I didn't care, I had a ball. smiling bouncing smiley

I was there but WAY up front. The heat and humidity were god awful and the band was far from being in top form but the set list was fabulous especially after the over-blown, auto-pilot shows that were Steel Wheels. The Stones and the audience were absolutely exhausted by the end.

I heard a slight snippet of NFA played through the PA music about ten minutes before showtime. I promptly assumed that w/be the opening number and it amazed my neighbors when it was (I saw the '97 opener in Chicago and heard Keith (apparently) give a hint of Satifaction shortly before the curtain went up. Must be a "good-luck" charm).

The VERY BEST Stones show I ever saw, VooDoo or otherwise, was just a few weeks later in East Lansing, Michigan. They'd trimmed the set to 24 songs. The weather was perfect. Their were fewer drunks (the stadium was alcohol free) and the tour was still young so the Stones were enthusiastically firing on all cylinders rather than going through the motions.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 2, 2010 17:21

R

I heard a slight snippet of NFA played through the PA music about ten minutes before showtime. I promptly assumed that w/be the opening number and it amazed my neighbors when it was

did they buy you a beer?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:19

I loved it as well...I took my wife as i wasn't sure if they would come to Philly....
Spent a night in dc...And best of all they came to Philly too..I got to both shows.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:28

Dàmn... 16 years awrite... Yep; I was there. Travelled from Belgium with 2 mates to see that show; still one of the better adventures I've had the pleasure being part of to this day.

As soon as the show started, and the Bo Diddley 'bonka-bonka-bonka, bonk-BONK' intro started, I yelled in one of my friend's ear: "They're starting off with 'MONA'!"
...15 seconds or so later, I knew I was wrong... ;o)

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:31

It was the best Stones show I've ever seen (out of about 20 going back to 81). It was a hot, humid summer day in DC. I sat right in front of the soundboard on the field and the mix and sound was perfect the entire show. Every song was enjoyable. Satisfaction was in the middle of the set list and was unexpectedly great (had a 69 vibe to it). Memory Motel, with Mick on keyboards: this was the first time I'd seen or heard of them playing it, same with Monkey Man. This was the first tour, I think, with a very large video screen. which meant you didn't need to be in the first rows to see Keith's fingers playing guitar. It seemed like folks were standing up and singing along to the songs the entire show. It wasn't just any old concert. It had the magic. A lot of Voodoo Lounge songs and they sounded good. I recall looking over at the stands to my left and seeing them sway up and down with the music as people danced (and hoping the stands didn't fall down). I looked all around the stadium and everyone seemed to be enjoying it just the same. That's why Stones fans keep going back, to maybe catch the magic one more time.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 2, 2010 20:15

Is Voodoo Lounge the tour that got the more audience - all bands ?

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: August 2, 2010 21:03

I was there for both shows!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 2, 2010 23:12

Missed that show but I did see 2 shows at RFK on the Steel Wheels tour in 1989.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 3, 2010 03:49

I went to both shows. They sounded a bit hollow in cavernous RFK, but they were much better two weeks later when I saw them at Giants Stadium. The tour souvenir video was recorded on the night of my Giants Stadium show.

Re: 23 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 1, 2017 01:54

bumped (from the 2010 thread)

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 1, 2017 09:13

TeaAtThree
I was there too. We got a bunch of tunes that didn't last long in the set. The boot I have has awful sound, but it was a great night!

If I remember right, Keith at the start of his set said, "DC, I see you got a new room" as Fed Ex Field was brand new.

He said that in 1997 when they played there, Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.

Re: 23 (!) years ago tonight: opening night of the Voodoo Lounge World Tour in Washington, D.C.; RFK Stadium
Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: August 1, 2017 10:21

what a magic night, my first US concert after 4 days of rehearsals.

still havent seen the local TV reports, where we have been interviewed.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 1, 2017 10:24

Loved Not Fade Away as the opener for that tour.

It was an inspired choice.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 2, 2017 01:35

great night. first mega-road trip for a show. could not believe how good they were. and the best sound system they ever had until 2012. benji could have had a lot to do with that. as good as opening night was, madison really burned the stadium down at the end of the month.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2017 03:48

I should have been there, but I was home with my baby girls. Missed out on a lot those days when my kids were young. Trying to make up for it now. grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home