Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

play your harp until your lips bleed
Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: October 16, 2010 08:36

I always thought that line was about Brian.

Re: play your harp until your lips bleed
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 16, 2010 11:01

JJFlash2010
I always thought that line was about Brian.

what made you think that?

Date: October 16, 2010 11:24

Remember that account told of Brian, when he played his harmonica until blood was drawn on his lips and he kicked a stand-up bass to splinters? Was it in the Stanley? Which is another line from a book.......

Date: October 16, 2010 11:36

In The True Adventures Of The Rolling stones, Mick and Keith refer to a recording booth in a studio as "The Stanley". As far as that other stuff about Brian, I can't remember where I read it.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 26, 2010 10:11

JJFlash2010
Remember that account told of Brian, when he played his harmonica until blood was drawn on his lips and he kicked a stand-up bass to splinters? Was it in the Stanley? Which is another line from a book.......

Ah...just stumbled on an account of it:

"They were treating Brian badly, but they probably had good reason. He literally couldn't play his instrument anymore. Brian was simply being detrimental to the group and letting them know it. One night while they were jamming, Brian tried to play harp. He was real @#$%& up and his mouth started bleeding. It was all over then anyway." Time Is On Our Side

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 26, 2010 12:56

Isn't there a famous story about Brian playing the harp till his lips bled in the company of Bob Dylan? Was it the time that there was a power cut in New York - 1965???

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 26, 2010 17:56

Silver Dagger
Isn't there a famous story about Brian playing the harp till his lips bled in the company of Bob Dylan? Was it the time that there was a power cut in New York - 1965???

Yes. Story was, Dylan said, "Don't be paranoid, Brian."

Date: October 27, 2010 06:07

swiss
One night while they were jamming, Brian tried to play harp. He was real @#$%& up and his mouth started bleeding. It was all over then anyway."

How about when he kicked the upright bass, was that another story? I heard he had many contacts among the lumberjacks.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: October 27, 2010 06:52

JJFlash2010
swiss
One night while they were jamming, Brian tried to play harp. He was real @#$%& up and his mouth started bleeding. It was all over then anyway."

How about when he kicked the upright bass, was that another story? I heard he had many contacts among the lumberjacks.

Yup ... if I remember this story correctly, it happened in Dec '67, the night after one of the court dates (appeal maybe?) Anyhow, he had went to some club, and had climbed onstage with the house band to jam with them (I think they saw him, and asked him to join).

Supposedly he had taken some acid after leaving court, so needless to say he was 'flyin' when he was on stage with this band ... and I guess, at some point busted up the upright bass he was playing, but still kept playing 'air upright bass', till it dawned on him the bass was no more, then he collapsed on the stage. They rushed him to the hospital, and they said he had 'collapsed due to exhaustion, plus he had had a tooth (or teeth) extracted'.

I don't know if it's actually all true, but the book I got it from was 'Mick Jagger: Everybody's Lucifer' by Tony Scaduto.
----------------------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Date: October 27, 2010 07:09

You're very well read. It's well known.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home