Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Any Hollies fans..
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: October 15, 2010 09:29

Does any one know what the original singer of the Hollies, now was that
Alan Clarke is doing these days? I just played a dvd by them and really
got into them, love their harmonies. Any fans here?

Re: OT: Any Hollies fans..
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 15, 2010 10:05

Fan here. Hollies was the first band I saw live. It was 1968.

Posted by: brandanman2 ()
Date: October 15, 2010 10:28

I am one. I like the Hollies, I will not see them in concert, but I enjoy many of their songs, they are great, but definitely a good band.

- Brandanman2

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 15, 2010 14:26

Yeah, love 'em. Alan Clark retired in the mid-90's, I think and when I saw them in 2001, they had Carl Wayne - formely of The Move and now sadly deceased - on vocal. He was superb and Tony Hicks is still an excellent guitarist. I don't know who their current lead vocalist is, but I would definitely consider catching them live again.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: October 15, 2010 15:13

I saw them last night at the "Hall for Cornwall" in Truro. Still a great band. Current line-up is Bobby Elliott (drums), Tony Hicks (lead guitar, sitar/guitar, banjo, vocals), Ian Parker (keyboards, accordion, vocals), Ray Stiles (bass, vocals), Steve Lauri (guitar, vocals) with Peter Howarth as singer (and also excellent solo guitar). Peter Howarth has a superb voice.
If you get a chance to see them you won't be disappointed.

chris

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 15, 2010 17:30

been getting reaquainted with a fairly obscure hollies record from the mid-70's - Another Night - not as dated sounding as i would have expected...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 15, 2010 18:36

Here's a little known song by The Hollies called Schoolgirl. It's an absolute gem - psychedelic freakbeat par excellence.

Date: October 16, 2010 05:13

T&A
been getting reaquainted with a fairly obscure hollies record from the mid-70's - Another Night - not as dated sounding as i would have expected...

This was a great lp. some nice songs on it.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 16, 2010 06:55

One of the best things about the british invasion....great melodies and though everyone back then was trying to copy the beatles...they managed to create thier own sound. it helped that they had great songwriters....nash has always been the underrated element in all his bands.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 18, 2010 07:43

They actually influenced the Stones. According to Jim Phelge's book,'Nankering With The Rolling Stones, Brian heard the Hollies and was knocked out. He thought they needed some harmony singing. Keith wasn't into it yet and they recruited a reluctant Bill Wyman. That's why there's background singing on those early songs. And as we know, nobody really worked in that harmony spot until Keith started chiming in later.

Date: October 18, 2010 08:34

stupidguy2
One of the best things about the british invasion....great melodies and though everyone back then was trying to copy the beatles...they managed to create thier own sound. it helped that they had great songwriters....nash has always been the underrated element in all his bands.

One good example of this is the Bee Gees first. Sounding very very Beatles like but made their own sound 2nd lp and onwards.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: October 21, 2010 00:56

Yes, and thanks to this thread I'm listening to them again.

stupidguy2
nash has always been the underrated element in all his bands.

It's strange that he, Allan Clarke and Tony Hicks felt that their aims had become incompatible since the songs he went on to write with CSN(&Y) sound like the Hollies (and a very good thing that is, too).

Date: October 21, 2010 01:08

tipps
stupidguy2

One good example of this is the Bee Gees first. Sounding very very Beatles like but made their own sound 2nd lp and onwards.

Deserves its own thread because the Bee Gees remain one of the most criminally underrated and unfailry pigeon-holed band in pop history. The sixties stuff was poppy with R&B flourishes (To Love Somebody), and they really came into their own in the 70s, pre-Sat Night Fever. Before Hall and Oats and before the Stones mastered it, The Gibb brothers nailed that blue-eyed soul perfectly. Great stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-21 01:09 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: October 21, 2010 01:13

i love the Hollies.
love the bit about Brian Jones being inspired by them. There were so many great bands in the 60's, the Beatles are on my list, but towards the bottom.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 21, 2010 01:26

stupidguy2
tipps
stupidguy2

Deserves its own thread because the Bee Gees remain one of the most criminally underrated and unfailry pigeon-holed band in pop history. The sixties stuff was poppy with R&B flourishes (To Love Somebody), and they really came into their own in the 70s, pre-Sat Night Fever. Before Hall and Oats and before the Stones mastered it, The Gibb brothers nailed that blue-eyed soul perfectly. Great stuff.

i'm with you...although i think their best 60's stuff holds up well to their best 70's, too.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 21, 2010 02:32

Word - There's some great Hollies clips on youtube, if you haven't already checked'em out.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2010 03:07

Keefan
Word - There's some great Hollies clips on youtube, if you haven't already checked'em out.

Indeed - this one's superb

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: October 22, 2010 03:47

I generally love The Hollies, although they made much bad stuff as well. They were a very professional band and much underrated. "Hollies Live" from 1976 is one of the best ever live records, IMO.

Date: October 22, 2010 03:54

Big Al
Keefan

Indeed - this one's superb

My 9-year old niece loves this song. That's when you know something is timeless.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: October 22, 2010 10:16

Tony & the vox 12string. Had to have one, got it but sold it before I came to Australia, one of the major mistakes of my life

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home